Thread: advice wanted

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

advice wanted

I am 6'4-5" and am right around 270 lbs right now, working on dropping but its slow. I have a 08 Giant XTC with the Dart 3 fork on it. Im not into real aggressive trail riding yet, but I have started seeing the short falls of the fork already. I am starting to want to upgrade to a full suspension bike as well now, but wont be for a while due to not having the money to do so right now.

So my question is, if you were me would you get a new fork for this bike or save the money for the new bike, even if its going to be a ways off before you buy it? If I knew for sure I was going to keep this bike after I bought a new one, it wouldnt even really be an issue for me, but if I sell it I don't think I would see any extra money for the bike with the new fork.

Also If I went up from the 2.1 tire to a 2.3 tire would that soften the ride of the hard tail up much?

The fork Im looking into is the Tora 318 Solo air, or Im also open to suggestions on others that are comparable.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i have an F120R that i'll let go cheapish. it is a little beat up. might be too long for the giant tho.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    PM sent if OP isn't interested, ilmfat

mtbr member
    A cheap way of softening up the ride would be as you said to put 2.3 tires on and if you then run downhill tubes or stans that would also make a big difference. I'm 6ft 6in and around 220lbs and used to run 45-50psi in the rear on a hardtail to stop pinch flats. I changed to downhill tubes and could run 30psi and it made a big difference in softening up the ride and grip. The downhill tubes are cheaper than stans but they are heavy as hell and you do notice the difference so I switched to stans, which I highly recommend. I haven't had any problems running stans but i'm not as heavy as you, i'm sure there will be a thread on heavier guys running it to see if it creates any problems over a certain weight.

With regards to the fork I suppose it depends on how long you are realistically going to keep and use the bike before you possibly buy a full sus, you could always try and find a cheaper year old model or second hand. Marzocchi also make good cheaper forks.

If it was me i'd buy a new fork, do the tires and tubes/stans it will totally transform the ride of the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    X 2 On fork and tubeless upgrade. Keep the dart and put it back on when you are ready to sell your hardtail, so you can use the Tora or whatever on your next bike also.
    I am on a 2.3 Exiwolf tubeless on the rear and it is awesome. I am using up my old 2.1's on the front before I go bigger up there. You might want to check into tire clearance before you buy any old fork though, my reba will be tight with 2.3's

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the replies, Ill have to look into the tubless route a little more.

Does this fork look comporable to a tora 318?

marzocchi
    # XC 600 ATA 2

* 100 to 140mm Adj. Travel
    * TST 2
    * ATA 2 (Air Travel Adjust)
    * Air Spring
    * Alloy XC Steer Tube
    * 32mm Aluminum Stanchions
    * 6” Post Mount (Max Disc size 7”)

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    marzocchi's rep is slipping for their cheap xc stuff. not even 2.5 chilis for that fork. where as RS rep is growing. the tora almost gets 4 chilis. either way u take ur chances, but id say the tora is the way to go.

or u could get a fox f120 used for a good price and get the travel reduced. just a thought.

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience of that fork. I had three of the older marzocchi mx pro range, they were always well thought of for their price and reliabilty. Chain reaction cycles have some on offer at the moment and with the dollar strong against the pound might be worth looking at. Have a search through the forum's, bound to be loads of threads on cheap forks and see whats recommended by everyone and is in your budget. The thing to remember is the axle to crown length on your current fork against what you buy. Not sure what your current fork is 80mm or 100mm i'm guessing? The xc600 ata is 100-140mm travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Im at 100 mm of travel right now, what does it take to get travel reduced on the longer shocks? Just a set of spacers thrown in there?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    on the float, the spacers already in there, you just need to rearrange them. i believe thats true of all newer forks, but i could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    well I pulled the trigger on a 08 left over tora 318 solo air. Also stepped up the front brakes with the money saved over the 09 model fork. went with the 185 BB7 set up over my 160 stockers

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    nice upgrade you'll like it ... I just tossed a 185 up front from the 160.... nice upgrade... just need to find a 160mm to get the disc out back haha.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    First time on the trails with the new stuff today, can't believe the difference of the fork over the junk Dart 3.