mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Advice re. Big Apple tyres or similar...

Hi there, it would be really helpful if some of you could share with me your knowlegde/experience of tyres.

I am currently building an On One 456 Inbred based mtb. Initially I plan to use this on the mixed rough n smooth roads around where I live. I have a decent set of 36h all mountain rims...and now I just need to sort out tyre choice...but can't get my head around how it all works.

My rims are 32mm wide, and I think I can run both 26x2.0 and 26x2.3 Big Apples. The 2.0's run around 70psi and the 2.3's around 60psi I think. Initially I was going to plump for the 2.0's....as on my wives bike I seem to deflect the Kenda Excavator 2.1's a smidgen too much at 60psi. I understand though that is isn't quite so simple...as wider tyres require less pressure etc. Can anyone give me any pointers as to which I should go for (or offer an alternative?). Some comfort for a sturdy guy 300lb ish would be good...but not at the expense of decent rolling/too much tyre deflection.

Thanks very much in advance.

mtbr member
    300lb's the widest tyre that will fit. The 2.3 Big Apple
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

local trails rider
    Rim width has a big role on how a tyre behaves on it. Fat tires on skinny rims get "squirmy". Your rims should be wide enough for 2.3".

2.3" looks better on a bike designed for fat tires too...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

native.
    Mar 2010
    I have the 2.3's on two of my bikes. The 2.3's will give you more leeway in adjusting air pressure to suit your style. I'm around your weight and have run as little as 25psi during an urban commute without pinchflatting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Kenda Kiniptions are pretty sweet, they roll very, very well.I've strangely had decent pavement experience with maxxis crossmarks. You have 2.5" clearance available if you are willing to go for a heavier tire like the maxxis hookworms.

Either way, the 2.35" BA's are a great choice. lots of cush, roll nicely, decent protection against road debis, decent weight. I find that riding them with very low pressure does noticably increase the roll resistance especially when you hit an incline...enough to make me sweat a bit. I like to keep mine pumped up some at about 45lbs or so. I'm 250lbs..

Pumped up to full recommended inflation seems to make balloon tires prone to too much deflection for my liking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks very much for the replies....very helpful indeed.

Have opted to give the Big Apple 2.35's a bash and see how I get on. Will bear the Kiniptions in mind for future ref. also.

Thanks again!