mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Advice please, a tough fork for a big booty

I am riding a 06 rockhopper comp. I love the bike but the fork is killing me, I need something tough and stiff that can handle my 6' 3" 285lbs.

Captain Underpants
    What fork do you have currently?

Former Bike Wrench
    If its truly an '06, it came with a RS Tora which is a very stiff fork. If you want to go stiffer, you'll need to upgrade to a 20mm axle front wheel, and disc brakes (if you have the rim brake version) to get any stiffer.

mtbr member
    Interested in suggestions here, as well. I'm Running a Marzocchi EXR Pro on a stock Hoss Deluxe, and this thing just ain't stiff enough for my tastes.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    If you want to go stiffer, you'll need to upgrade to a 20mm axle front wheel, and disc brakes (if you have the rim brake version) to get any stiffer.
    Good advice. I switched from a QR fork to a 20mm TA and the increase in stiffness was noticeable immediately.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Running a Marz All Mountain 1 (QR) with me being 6'5" and 280lbs. Plenty stiff.

anyone else smell that?
    i've enjoyed my r.s. recon u-turn with firm spring. it's quick release style...and is probably equivelant to your tora. unless you have some air model or something....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    What fork do you have currently?
    It came with a manitou splice comp. The bike might be an 05, I, ll have to check.

mtbr member
    I had a FSR XC that had the Recon on it was a great frok I ran it with x-firm springs, I now have the Pike 454 on my FR bike with X-firm springs its nice and stiff the 20mm thru axle is great and I am 240lb.. I would upgrade to a 20mm thru fork like a new 08 MArzocchi on of there new 100-110mm forks the thru axle will really beef up the front end..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The stock Fox Float 120 RL fork that comes with my SJ FSR Comp works great for my 6' 2" 290 lbs. I love air shocks for its tuneability...no messing with springs.