mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Advice on New Bike I already bought

From the feedback I received here, I bought a Diamondback Overdrive ~ a month ago. I've done a couple of rides on it and really like the feel of the frame/fork as it is me first MTB with a suspension. I am concerned with some of the parts though. My first ride (with my daughter) up a gravel fireroad and the freehub broke and wouldn't freewheel without alot of force. The LBS fixed it no problem. Now I've done a few "light" rocky singletrack rides and have found the middle ring bent and the dust caps off the pedals. I say light due to the fact I don't have enough confidence in my skills yet to hit the really rocky stuff and generaly walk it. I kind of expected the pedals to be cheap and have a set of SPD's to swap in but am concerned about the chainring. I could accept the outer-ring being bent easier as it is more exposed but it runs true. I am unable to prove it at this point but I did always get some chain "hop" and noise in the middle ring but attributed this to the chain needing broken in and some fine tuning of the FD needed so maybe there were some CR issues from new.

Should I just accept things as they are and replace the ring? Crankset? (advice on which moderate priced"

Tigers love pepper...
    I'm in pretty much the exact same spot as you, so I think I'll be following the advice on your thread.

Not to hijack your thread, but here's my story.... sounds pretty similar!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bought my bike maybe 5 weeks ago after 12 years of not riding. Noticed a little chain rub on the 1st and 3rd ring, figured I'd ride it for a couple weeks then have the LBS re-tune it. After he wasn't able to get rid of the rub, I adjusted it myself the other night and looking at it close I can see that something must be bent, crankset is wobbling side to side ever so slightly.

Should the shop I bought it from replace it? Is this typically a warrantied item?

I took it to a different shop to have him go over the bike as I ran into a few other issues that I don't think should have been let out the door originally.

Since I'm a "clyde" I guess (6'3" 230lb), should I just replace it, be done with it, and save myself the hassle?

Former Bike Wrench
    -Wheels...probably Formula or Quando hubs which while being heavy are usually fairly durable. I would consider the freehub body failure an anomaly. Since the LBS fixed it, your probably good.

-Crankset...cheap steel chainrings bend, not unusual at all. You could replace with a quality middle ring or replace the entire crankset. I use Truvativ FireX GXP cranksets which can be regularly found under $100 and they work great (I'm 220lbs). They will be significantly stiffer and more durable than the Isoflow cranks you currently have.

-Pedals...most bikes come with cheap pedals (many with no pedals) because this is considered a "personal choice" item. Since you have some pedals for it, your golden here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would take it back to the lbs and see what they say, if the bike is that new they should fix anything. I have the exact same bike and it took two trips back to the lbs to get it around the block at my house. The first fail was the cassette. I was pedaling up a hill, hears a few pops, pulled over to check it out and discovered a broken cog and missing teeth on two others. Lbs says no problem we fix. The next day I pulled the threads out of the crank arm at the pedal, bike shop says no problem, we fix. Since I started riding it hard I have had no issues.
    A good lbs will set you up with parts and then fight it out with the sales rep or supplier to get the parts back, or money off of their tab. They should take care of you as long as there is no abuse involved, they ain't suckers either. They should know that the failure rates of parts are higher on low end bikes than the high dollar stuff they carry.

Underskilled
    I have had more components fail than you would believe, have blown two Nukeproof hubs in two months.

just ask you bikeshop to replace parts with DH components and pay the extra.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    if you are someone who brakes things with regularity then DH components work but I think for most of us clyds just good quality non race weight components will do the trick...

stay away from things that insinuate racing and uber lightweight seem to do the trick... nothing on my bike is REAL heavy duty parts but nothing is real light weight either... which is why it weighs in at over 30# but all still operates flawlessly with my fat arse on it
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The LBS did say the freehub which went was an anomaly but was defective. I'll see what they do with the crank.