Thread: advice on fork

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

advice on fork

Hello,

Went out to my local trail this mornig again and had a blast but im bottoming out my front forks on my Cannondale F5. Its got a Rock shox Dart 2 and I already upgraded it with stiffer 100mm springs and heavier fluid according to my LBS. Is it worth it to get a new fork for this bike or is it better to hold off and get a better ride? im on a tight budget.

thanks in advance

Danny

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How much do you weigh?

What is your budget, exactly? $500? $100?

Assuming you weigh >250lbs, and your budget is closer to $100 than $500, I'd recommend the Instigator fork (again).

BTW, the springs don't affect the travel. They affect the spring rate of the fork. The "fluid" is the oil level and weight, which affect the rebound damping of the fork.

When you upgrade to a suspension fork, get an air fork. There aren't many cheap air forks. The Rock Shox recon is mentioned on Blue Collar MTB's bombproof bike project; you might want to give that a try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I weigh 240lbs and my budget is in the 300.00 dollar range. i just got started in this so its all chinese to me still.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You're just within the weight range of coil forks. You could use one. If you increase your budget to $400, there are a few good air forks to choose from, like the Marzocchi XC 600/700 and the Rock Shox Tora/Recon. Another thing to look at is dirt jumping forks, which are usually heavier than XC forks and don't have as many features, but are sturdier.

(the Kona Hoss Clydesdale XC hardtail comes with a dirt jumping fork... and not many people like it)

Fat guy on a bike
    The 07 tora 318 is air tuneable with up to 130mm travel, and $360. Cheaper than Recon but heavier with steel vs aluminum stanchions. The U-Turn version is coil, you would want the Solo Air, but both would be an upgrade.

If you want a fully tuneable fork, you want a Reba or Revelation, but thats a weee bit higher than budget.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm in the same boat. I have a Kona Hoss with the Marz. dirt jam comp and I absolutely hate them. I am 6'5" and 300lbs and I bottom these forks all the time. I have 05 Manitou minute 1 forks on my Trek that hold up way better and are a lot more adjustable. I have been looking at the Rock Shox Revelation but I'm not sold on it yet after reading the reviews. I am relatively new to this and wish I could peg down a fork that is in the $400 range but am not sure what to go with. Any ideas out there for a person my size?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    so i should upgrade my bike instead of a new ride later on? LBS told me to beat this one up and then get a better bike.

long standing member
    I had a Marz Dirt Jam on my Hoss. It was pretty bad. I upgraded to a Rockshox Reba on closeout for about $260. The Reba's performance was better but it was very flexy laterally. Still worth the upgrade, though. The truth is there isn't a great XC fork for us big guys. Now that I'm on a longer travel bike with a thick-stanchioned thru-axle fork (Marz 66SL) I realize how bad all my previous forks had been. At this point I couldn't got back to using a standard QR fork. Of course, this makes purchasing bike components a bit more expensive. If I ever get a XC-type bike again it'll probably be a 29er and will probably have a White Brothers (or another brand's) TA fork on it.

To try to answer your question, if you like the rest of your bike, try to find a better fork on closeout. Unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, upgrading your bike will not get you a significantly better fork. From my limited experience demo'ing bikes I'd say that generally speaking Fox, Marzocchi and Manitou are all stiffer than the Rockshox I had. I've even got a cheap Manitou Axel Comp with skinny 30mm stanchions on my Hoss now and it's actually stiffer than my Reba was (although the suspension performance isn't as good). For us clydes I actually think that air forks are preferable, because it's sometimes difficult to get coil springs that are rated properly for our weight.

Something like a Fox 32 Talas RLC may work well, it's travel is adjustable so you can set it to match your bikes geometry, but if your frame can handle the extra stress the fork also can be run at more travel to provide a little extra suspension in the rough and on downhills, and provide a bit slacker head tube angle so you'll be a little less endo-prone. Search around on ebay, the mtbr classifieds, at discount e-tailers like pricepoint.com and at bestbikebuys.com for used forks and closeout deals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks for the reply

Former Bike Wrench
    The 2006 Manitou Minute 3 is very stiff (32mm stanchions) for a quick release fork. It has an air spring, comes in 100mm travel, and is on a major sale right now.

Manitou Minute 3

I personally have owned three reverse arch Manitou forks ('03 Black which was nice, '03 Skareb which sucked, and '05 Sherman which was real nice) and they all seemed stiffer than their conventional arched counterparts.

BTW-I weigh 230 lbs and ride All Mountain

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    If you want a fully tuneable fork, you want a Reba or Revelation, but thats a weee bit higher than budget.
    +1 for the Reba

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks i'll look at it. my dart 2 is 100MM so i should consider the 130MM?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

travel for hardtail XC fork

I would stick to 80-100mm. If you put too tall a fork on a frame, the handling can get weird.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the info PCinSC. I talked with the manager at my LBS and he said we may be able to do a turn in upgrade since these forks are so terrible. If not, I'll keep searching the web for some killer close-outs.