Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Advice? 240 lbs w/ a twist for XC and AM

Guys

Your suggestions please for a full sus bike. I am 240 w gear and 5 ft 6 in... (thats what happens after 30 years of powerlifting) working toward a stable weight of around 200...but right now its 240 loaded. I need something that won't flex and twist.

Budget: 3K to 4K

XC and some AM in SE ....USA mainly in GA, TN and NC.
    Only airborne stunts would be less than 12 inches....
    presently ride about 1500+ miles a year.

Heckler?
    Nomad?
    Kona Product?
    Ventana?
    ????
    ????

Greatly appreciate your experience and comments!

Prayer

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by prayer
    Guys

Your suggestions please for a full sus bike. I am 240 w gear and 5 ft 6 in... (thats what happens after 30 years of powerlifting) working toward a stable weight of around 200...but right now its 240 loaded. I need something that won't flex and twist.

Budget: 3K to 4K

XC and some AM in SE ....USA mainly in GA, TN and NC.
    Only airborne stunts would be less than 12 inches....
    presently ride about 1500+ miles a year.

Heckler?
    Nomad?
    Kona Product?
    Ventana?
    ????
    ????

Greatly appreciate your experience and comments!

Prayer
    I live in Alabama and weigh 285lbs before gear...I ride a Titus Moto-lite and it has been the most trouble free bike ever (except for my 29er) It can handle the type riding you do with no problems whatsoever....Check the Titus forum and ask some questions..Those guys know their stuff

Rohloff
    Kona's got some bikes that will fit your needs and leave you with money in your pocket. That's a good idea, because no matter what you get, you'll be looking at other bikes. It's part of the addiction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    BSDC

Thanks and 10-4 on the addiction.... there are much worse habits ha ha

Prayer

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Eddie

What do you know about the El Gaupo sic? by Titus?

Prayer

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by prayer
    Thanks Eddie

What do you know about the El Gaupo sic? by Titus?

Prayer
    The only thing I know about the El Guapo is the fact that I want one and can't justify it because I already have too many bikes

mtbr member
    I'd say a Ventana El Ciclon with the quad bearing kit if it fits the budget. I'm not that rich, and have been looking for cheaper options (none of which seem to be good at this point). Another brand to check out is Transition Bikes. I'm eyeing the Covert for an all-around trail rig, but it'll run about $3k too.

btw, I'm 6' 220#

mtbr member

chumba xcl

Been riding the xcl for 3 months love it. I did have to work on a better pedal stroke to get rid of the bob. Climbing technical stuff it really shines. The bike totally eliminates any small stuff on the climb, and rounds off the square edges. It seems to be super solid, and it will last for years. That my $.02
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

someone mentioned Ventana X5?

Guys

...someone mentioned Ventana X5?

I dont know much about these bikes... but the web photos/info on this bike look very solid?

Dont know much about Chumba except many articles of late in the paper maps on this brand...

if there is a bike that fits the reqs at 2000 to 2500 that is OK

Prayer

mtbr member
    Prayer,
    The Ventanas are really nice, but run right around $2k for the frame alone. The Chumba or Transition will be $1300 or so for the frame only. I know Transition has a build kit available for the Covert that runs $1223 (plus frame and fork). For the Covert with their build kit and the Fox 32 Vanilla RLC you're looking at $2914. With the Pike 454 Air it is $3119.

I seem to remember that Chumba has something similar for the XCL, but am not positive on the price or components.

If you're really interested in Ventana, give Larry at Mtn. High Cyclery a shout (he's a member of the forum as well, username is Ventanarama) and see what he recommends as well as what kind of price he can get you.

mtbr member
    Knolly Endorphin. That is what I am running now after breaking my last 3 frames. I am 6'5" and weigh 238.

Flaccid Member
    If you weigh that much and go down some steep or long hills, make sure you at least get a 200mm rotor on the front brake and a 180mm on the rear for your AM rides.

My Bionicon Edison came with 180mm's all around, the pads have maybe 30% left, and when they are done, I'm putting on some sintered metal pads instead of the semi metallics. If that doesn't do it, I'll go back to semi metallics and 200mm rotors.

Keep in mind, losing 2000 feet of vertical in 2 to 4 miles on a single track is brutal on brake equipment at my weight at 225 #. If it's flatter where you live, you can get by with less, if you travel to epic steep ride areas where there's mountains, don't scrimp on brakes, get the big, bubba sized rotors.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am 6'1" and for a while I was at 245. I ride a GT I-Drive. It is a great bike, never had any problems... Well, actually I cracked the frame right above the BB. I was told it was due to a design problem, which has been corrected since then (2001). Have not had any other issues.

mtbr member
    Dont forget about the new Yeti 575s. Theyre a sweet XC and AM hybrid. Lightweight with 5.75 inches of travel. Giddeup!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    240 with gear doesn't require anything out of the ordinary.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am a clyde and run a Ventana X-5. My thoughts:
    Straight guage tubing is a bonus...minimal weight increase, added rigidity/crash resistance.
    X-brace is marginally stiffer (? IDK, that is up to others).
    Quad bearings - Ventana set this standard, many mfgs caught up just in the last 2 years. This creates unparalleled lateral rigidity - big difference in responsiveness of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by colombo357
    240 with gear doesn't require anything out of the ordinary.
    Yes and no, I would say that at that weight plus gear/h20, you appreciate some of the following:
    1. Thru-axle fork
    2. Hand built wheels
    3. a good frame.

The Ventana can be had for a very competitive price thru the two high-volume V dealers Chad at Red Barn Cycles and Larry M. at Mt. High Cyclery. Call them and discuss a build/price.

I would say 4in -5in is sufficient for the riding you do, but you know better than I do.
    See if you can find one local to see if you like the fit.

Hope my 2c is worth somewhere near that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm 6'2", 240 lbs and have been riding a Rocky Mountain element since 1999. I have only had to replace the suspension bushings twice. The newer models have ball bearings, which should last longer.

If you want to spend $4k I would seriously check out the new Trek Fuel EX. I rode the carbon fiber 9.5 at a Trek test ride at Oak Mtn and it rode great. I asked about the warranty / weight limit and even the carbon frame has a lifetime warranty with no weight limit!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm 5'6" and weigh just a little less than you when I am packed up. To me it came down to local support for the bike. I have a Stumpy expert fsr and have had no problems other than having some work done on the talas fork . I really like the fact that Specialized stands behind their bikes and also if there were to be any warranty issues I did not want to have to drive for an hour or more to get to a bike shop to get it fixed for an afternoon ride. Hopefully there is a local shop close enough to help you make a decision

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Kingdomseeder

Thanks.... local support is important....do you run talas 140... i have 140 on my SC blur lt w bout 1000 miles on it....so far it has been reliable...

wonder what issues you had w your talas?

As with this forum i have made a similar post (240 lbs on a blur LT) on the SC forum and have gotten comments all over the board.... much variation in opinion about 220 plus guys... and what type bike is desired/required...

Prayer

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The travel adjustment was not working, it would always stay up in the 140 position no matter where the adjuster was set. I have about 500 miles on mine and just got all the internals replaced according to the bike shop. It was all warranty work. Although now there is way too much snow here to get out and ride to try it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I am 6' 220 lbs and love my Foes FXR, not the new style frame. It is the most flex free bike I have ever owned. It is built up solid with a Duc 32 and weighs in at 31lbs with med duty tires. Every clyde that has ridden it has been very impressed. It is my do everything ride. It is similar to a Nomad but climbs better and not as plush on the DH.

The other bike that I have riden Lately that was solid was the Giant Reign and you can get them cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    you could get a kona dawg primo in your price range and I think it will meet all your needs! The 08's look pretty sick, and kona bikes are built to last

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cruzean ...thanks.... i really like the look of the Foes XCR ...i have seen some w a Churn sic ? large diameter shock... dont know much aout it....?

At years end i am gonna do a brief summary of all the posts on this thread.... i have rec many varied and interesting responses

Merry Christmas

Prayer

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Clydesdale Rider/Bike Choice Issues

As for weight of rider, if you are just south of the 300 lb. border, then maybe frame construction is more of a factor for you. I am 6 ft tall and have hovered in between 220 to 230 depending on how many cheesy poofs I had for breakfast that morning. I am buying a FS XC ride (either a Spec. FSR xc or Trek Fuel EX 8 (2008)) I've been riding a Diamond Back hard tail for 10 years and thru all the crashes and jumps have never had a problem. I mention a hard tail here not because I'm trying to sway you to a hard tail, but because I think that frame designers have actually evolved to the point that they engineer their frames to be all but bomb proof. I'm no physics major and NASA doesn't call me for engineering advice on the space shuttle, but if a hard tail can take jumps and crashes without issue, then a Full Suspension (insert title here) which is designed to "absorb" the impacts should fare even better. Common sense would tell you that if you are over the 200 lb mark, then you should avoid the "Super Light, or Race Inspired" framesets. But then what logic is there in building a sub 25 lb bike and then dropping a 230 lb human on it? If you are a "weight weenie" then your first place to attempt to save weight should likely be your waist line! I don't mean to offend anyone as I too am a clydesdale, I'm just trying to be the voice of reason. See you on the trail!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you want a Turner www.uintabicycles.com has a couple '07s including a Sultan 29er Large on sale right now, that would be a score...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast