mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Able To Ride Again And Need Some Advice

Hey Folks, I'm rebuilding my old Litespeed hardtail after being hit by a car and finally getting the clear to ride again from my Doc.Basically I haven't been able to ride in 6 long years and so much has changed. I've gone from 175lbs to just over 300 and I can't seem to find any good advice on a wheel set. I know once I get back into the saddle the lbs will melt off but I really don't wanna worry about a taco rimmed out in the middle of the desert ( I live in Vegas). My LBS is trying to suggest a Sun-Ringle SOS wheelset but it's gotten horrible reviews. I'd like a good solid bombproof wheel set that can last until I get back into shape and can "ride" lighter wheelsets. I don't ride heavy but still 300 lbs is 300lbs. Forgot to mention I'm looking for a disc wheelset.

Also Ive looked for the WTB V saddle ( dh version) but they don't make it anymore. You guys have a second choice? Thanks for any help you guys can provide

Able To Ride Again And Need Some Advice-183.jpg
    Last edited by carnevino; 05-03-2011 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi carnevino,

I am getting new whees for my new bike, here is what I am getting.

DT Swiss FR600 Black
    Chris King ISO 20mm through axle hub
    DT Swiss Alpine 3 spokes Black
    DT Swiss Prolock nipples Black

DT Swiss FR600 Black
    Chris King ISO 135/10mm hub
    DT Swiss Alpine 3 spokes Black
    DT Swiss Prolock nipples Black

I am a bit bigger than you, 340ish, but I am working my way down. I haven't finished building my new bike yet though, so I am hoping by the time it is down, I should be down another 15-20 pounds or more. I am having Lacemine29.com or mikesee here on the forum build my wheel set. I told him all the specifics related to my size currently and bike that they will be going on to. Based upon his suggestions, this is what I ended up with.

This is the first wheel set that I have had built. My only other bike is a stock 1996 GT Zaskar that I ride around on to supplement going to the gym and daily walks at lunch at work.

Hopefully this helps you somewhat.

Jon

mtbr member
    Congrats on being able to get back out on the bike! You must have been pretty screwed up to have to be off for 6 years!

I can't really help you too much on the wheels, still trying to answer that question for myself.

As far as the saddle goes; I use a WTB Power V, which I was going to suggest, but it seems to be unavailable now too...

mtbr member
    The Sun Ringle MTX 33 rims are really nice...get the 36h version. I have them on my bike laced to Hope Pro 2 hubs for a pretty bombproof setup...especially since they were built by Mike Curiak (mikesee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Former Bike Wrench
    At 300lbs, probably should stay away from Shimano hubs except maybe Saint. Hope, Hadley, Chris King, and DT440 hubs are very burley. You don't mention a price but with the above hubs your looking at >$500 in most cases complete. If you want to spend a little less, check out the Transition Bikes Revolution 32 wheelset for $320. The hubs and rims are stout.

For the saddle, check out the WTB Aviator.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thank you for al the great advice!