My Brain Hurts!

9 speed cassette for a Clyde

on my new road bike, the stock SRAM PG 950 cassette is worrying me. I have read several reviews where riders, big guys or MTB'ers or stunt type riders describe a few of the noises my cassette is starting to do. So, before it fails, or takes out my chain, what do you thing is a good, heavy duty 9 speed cassette that will function well on these rims?

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...&productId=155

You know, just a good, durable for a clyde cassette. I don't care about saving .5 oz of weight on the rear, I want a cassette that will last and not skip or clunk!

I have the rims on the way and was considering an Ultegra cassette, but that is even lighter than the SRAM on my bike now. I don't want to pay more for the same problem!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Former Bike Wrench
    Edit: misread OP's post

Sram 950 cassettes are used on tandems, not sure what you have read about them but I can't say I've ever seen an issue with them. If your pedalling hard enough to damage the cassette, your more likely to kill the freehub body on those Ultegra hubs.
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 06-06-2011 at 06:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Shimano HG61....it's steel...get a hub with a steel freehub body and you're bombproof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm about to purchase a new cassette and have been looking at the Shimano HG61 cassette and 970 sram cassette.
    Not trying to highjack the thread but do these have a tendency to dig into aluminum body free hubs? I've seen it mentioned before but I haven't run into the problem...yet.
    Pedaling Gorilla

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    I'm about to purchase a new cassette and have been looking at the Shimano HG61 cassette and 970 sram cassette.
    Not trying to highjack the thread but do these have a tendency to dig into aluminum body free hubs? I've seen it mentioned before but I haven't run into the problem...yet.
    They all "bunch" to some extent on aluminum freehubs. HG-61 is heavy... I recommend you consider Shimano XT M770 cassette (or SRAM 980 / 990 if you don't wanna go XT). Chain reaction sells them for $65. Quite durable and worth the investment IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    They all "bunch" to some extent on aluminum freehubs. HG-61 is heavy... I recommend you consider Shimano XT M770 cassette (or SRAM 980 / 990 if you don't wanna go XT). Chain reaction sells them for $65. Quite durable and worth the investment IMO.
    I'm honestly not that concerned with weight yeah its going to add another 100 or so grams to the drivetrain. I'm more concerned with durability. Currently have a 980 cassette but it's old and I just replaced the crankset and the chain so I'm due for a new cassette. The chain is skipping under load anyway.
    Pedaling Gorilla

My Brain Hurts!
    Read through all the posts... The wheels I ordered do have Ultegra hubs but those are not the wheels I am having an issue with. When I get the new wheelsets here I will go to the LBS and we'll see how the 950 is holding up...

My mind id just working overtime in trying to get the new equipment here and set up on the new bike I purchased specifically with all my road riding and Century rides in mind. I just have too much experience with some stock parts being pure crap for a big guy. Specifically cassettes, RIMS, and seats....

I suppose it does not help that I am also setting up a new MTB and had to repair my old reliable city/commuter bike too.....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!