mtbr member
    Feb 2009

6'8" new guy needs help

I searched the threads and didn't quite find what I was looking for, so if this topic has been beaten to death, I do apologize, and you may feel free to heap ridicule and scorn upon me. I'm looking to buy my first bike. I have an anticipated budget of $2000 +/- up to $500. I haven't even set foot on a mountain bike for well over a decade. I want something that I won't immediately outgrow skillwise as I learn what I'm actually doing. I'm completely open for suggestions, and will also be able to hit up a good LBS once I move to denver in a couple months. So, that all being said, I'm 6'8" with a 39" inseam, long ass arms (38/39 sleeve length as well). I currently tip the scales at a meager 215, but when am in lean shape, avg. about 196-205. What should I be looking for in an all-around bike that will stick with me for a couple years before I figure out if I want more of a discipline specific bike? Thanks for your help.

Former Bike Wrench
    I would start with 29ers and I would look companies who make a frame large enough for you. Test rides may be difficult as most bike shops probably will not carry bikes for someone your height as regular stock. Based on your description, the Specialized Sumpjumper Comp 29 in a 23" frame (26.2" ETT) might be up your alley

BIG and Bald
    Another bit of information needed would be do you want a hardtail or an FS (full suspension)?
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm not particular on the hardtail vs. FS bit. Just looking for something quality that I won't regret buying to get me into the game for a couple years until I know enough to decide where to go from there, if that makes sense.

mtbr member

Check this out

I know what you are going through. I am 6'10" with a 40 inch inseam. I weigh about 285 or 265 in shape. I would look at hardtails since you will get way more bike for the buck. Depending on your time line I would look at Curtlo the owner is Doug Curtis and I have personally seen his shop and met him. He is a great guy. I am having him build my bike. His prices are pretty cheap and you get a sweet bike. His website is www.curtlo.com. He usually responds to e-mail within reason. Don't think his prices mean cheap quality. The guy builds about 100 custom frames a year and he has been doing it for 16 plus years, he actually uses better tubes then some more expensive builders. I sat on the specialized 23 inch frame and it still didn't fit my inseam. There are allot of guys your height on manufactured bikes so they are out there if you don't want a custom but they probably wont fit perfect and your price range is pretty healthy for a good bike that fits hals A$$. Good Luck
    Live Large

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm about your size at 6'7 and 250 ish riding Niner Jet in XL. Fit good and love the bike, its all I will need as I don't race. For about half the summer it was hanging back in the shopw while I waited the new rocker arms and I was riding an Air 9 also in XL. In some ways I wish I had just bought the Air 9, it was just a phenominal ride as well and I miss it. So my $0.02, both great bikes,

Good luck

mtbr member
    Im 6'-7" with a 36" inseam and tried the XL Frame for a FSR Stumpjumper 29er but it was too small. The experts at the bike store agreed. The XXL (23" frame) would be perfect, so they special ordered me one last week. Last weekend i took out my new 2009 FSR comp 29er Stumpjumer and loved it. I think you would be happy with this bike. The fit and ride are great. Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    6'7" with 40" standover and arms as long - you do need - repeat that - need - a 29er. More and more to look at, but the bigger Specialized look good - not that many people make an off the peg bike for us big fellas, less that make a 'performance' bike. Get reading and browsing and try to test ride - you'll find most tall and 29er guys would let you try their bikes - we're a friendly bunch - not small, select!

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    without a doubt, get a 29er.

I'm 6'6", 272 now, 252 in shape. 36 inseam. Left my 26" for a custom Ventana El Capitan XL and never looked back. I could have gone with the XXL and longer TT, but I lengthened my XL TT to 25.5" (so it fit like my old Specialized Enduro). You kinda want to be on a bike that fits, but that's small enough to still be nimble. (thread with build)

$2500 is a low end FS and a decent HT. Save some beer and starbucks money and get something nice that will last.

I'm too big and too heavy for a hard tail. I like my teeth where they are and my back didn't like the jarring it takes on a HT, but I was probably sitting too much, since I was used to a FS.

Another thing at out height, the trails here in Austin, aren't really cut for taller folk, so being on a HT and out of the saddle will me you'd be ducking all the time. Not sure where you're located, but something to consider.

The Stumpy 29er is a nice bike. I rode a Stumpy 26 vs Enduro 26. I would have bought the Enduro in 26 if I didn't go 29er. Sturdier and more solid feeling than the Stumpy. The FoxF29 that comes with the Stumpy 29er is not Thru Axel (i've heard rumors that the 2010 F29 will be, ETA May 2009).

I didn't like the '08 Turner Sultan, but it does comes in a XXXL with a 26.3 TT. Didn't like the fact that the '08 only have 4" of travel. I was coming from a 7"/7" travel bike and didn't want Travel Envy. The 09's are almost 5".

The XXL El Cap has 26.1 TT.

Ride as many as you can. Each one is different from the rest.

I'd try to get Thru Axel if at all possible. The lateral stability on the wheel is just awesome and confidence inspiring. Not as much with just a Quick Release.

So if you want to just get your feet wet, try the less expensive HT, but if you're like me and some other big folks, once you ride full suspension, there's no going back.

Take your time and ride/demo/borrow bikes before making a decision. (just tough when you're our size and taller).

Good luck!

offroader
    Dec 2008
    6'10"? Even a 29'er would feel like a BMX bike. lol... Seriously though.. at 300lbs you shouldn't you be riding a Titanium frame?

mtbr member

Me?

I think your comment is for me? Im not 300 and hope not to hit that mark. My custom is steel not titanium. And yes the 29er wheels will look small but not as bad as 26's.
    Live Large

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Given what you've stated I think you're best option would be the Stumpy FSR 29er. I'm 6'8" as well (6'9" with the afro) I rode the stumpy around the parking lot of my LBS. The bike is nice and will give you lots of fun. I chose the Ventana route based on the fact that I will never have to buy another frame. They really make great stuff. The Turner Sultan and the El Rey are just better. But you have to be willing to pay for the better!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would recommend Sherwood Gibson's Ventana bikes. Some of the most rigid I've ridden in the last 25 years. I am 6' 3" and I have been at 225 and now at 190. His stock and custom bikes are known for their rigidity. Turner bikes also builds a large frame. You do get more money for your buck for a hardtail.

mtbr member

My choice: Air9

I'm 6'-7", 225#, 36" inseam. Call every LBS you can find to try things and compare geometry. See if you can get someone to order something without a firm purchasing commitment so that you're not stuck with whatever comes in.

Last year I chose a Niner Air9 XL, 175mm cranks, 120mm stem and have been quite content.

29er all the way.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a 36" inseam. I had a Niner Air9 XL, with 400mm seat post. I was maxed out!!! Your inseam of 39" would not fit on this bike. You will need a 23"-25" frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Depends on the riding you are doing. I'm 6'6" and ride mostly FR/DH. My bike has a 24.5" effective TT and a 50mm stem. I LOVE the feel of it.

I would look at a hard tail for a first bike. There are TONS of options out there for you. My suggestion - call Sinister bikes and see if they can do an XL Ridge for you. They do a 29er as well (the Simon Bar)
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

100% recycled
    6'5" with 39" inseam. I would be looking at http://www.ventanausa.com for stock frames that may fit (or for a small upcharge you can get custom geometry).

mtbr member

mtbr member
    For $2,000 to $2,500 you can get a good full suspension bike. They cost more because they're more expensive to produce. For tall guys I think it's more important to get full suspension. We're heavier and we're more prone to back problems.

My first race years ago I rode a hardtail and woke up hunched over the next morning. BTW I'm 6'4", 195lbs.
    Last edited by chomxxo; 03-03-2009 at 11:32 AM.