mtbr member
    Jun 2013

6'8" 240lb Clydesdale`

I am new to the forum and just finally getting time after having two kids to get back into riding. I am working on updating/upgrading my 1999 GT XCR 5000 iDrive with new wheels, brakes, and fork so I need a lot of help since I have never upgraded anything on the bike.

My name is Gary, and as stated in title, I am 6'8" tall and 240lbs light (down from 290lbs a year ago).

I have two sons, one 3.5 years old and the other 2.25 years old, so I have been very happy and very very busy the last three years taking care of the new additions. I look forward to the day when they can ride with me.

Recently, in the last month, my mother-in-law, grandmother-in-law, and uncle-in-law has moved literally two blocks away from us in Houston, TX from Detroit, MI. So, I really need to get out and start riding again just to maintain my sanity and get back into better shape.

I will be searching/reading the forums and asking quite a few questions, so I hope everyone is patient with me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Welcome to the normal part of the cycling internet!
    What 'needs' upgrading on your bike? If it doesn't need it, ride it until it breaks. A lot has happened in bikes since your bike was made, and I would seriously think about trying to save that money towards a newer bike. You'd likely be able to get something that fitted you better and gave you more bang for your buck over updating an old bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Welcome to the normal part of the cycling internet!
    What 'needs' upgrading on your bike? If it doesn't need it, ride it until it breaks. A lot has happened in bikes since your bike was made, and I would seriously think about trying to save that money towards a newer bike. You'd likely be able to get something that fitted you better and gave you more bang for your buck over updating an old bike.

+1. Very easy to dump a lot of $ into parts that would be better served investing in a new(or new to you used) bike. Tall, quality clydes bikes are tough to find but they do exist.

Brian

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Welcome, slim!
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've had that in the back of my head after looking on Craiglist and seeing a lot of nice bikes for decent prices. My only fear is that I want to make sure the bike can handle my size and weight.

I've noticed the 29ers quite a bit recently, are they better for bigger riders?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It depends on your riding. For most stuff up to gravity-based riding I'd say yes - go for a 29er. You are not that heavy, so it is more the height issue and getting a big enough frame (scarce on Craigslist and everywhere else) - but more manufacturers are producing 23" frames, which would probably suit you quite well.
    Last edited by TooTallUK; 07-17-2013 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" and ride a large. I think it depends on where your height is. My height is in my body, not my legs. So the large is good for standover height. I use a longer stem and a throwback style seatpost and it works for me. As far as your weight goes I know plenty of people bigger than you and haven't had an issue with the bike holding up, unless you are planning on hucking it off of huge drops. I'm at 245 right now and my Cannondale prophet has seen me much lighter and a little heavier over the years. I've yet to break anything other than the normal wear and tear stuff that goes with mountain biking. As others have said I'd consider Craigslist or something new over fixing up a 1999. I'll be honest with you, the hydraulic brakes alone are worth the purchase. If you are patient with Craigslist the right deal will come up. Also be willing to drive a ways and then you can look in other cities as well. I bought my GF a full suspension bike that was a few years old, but really never ridden for $600. It's the same bike I have that retailed for 2200 new.