mtbr member
    Aug 2011

6'7" Gary Fisher 23, other options?

Hi,

I'm 6'7" (mostly leg 37" inseam roadie) looking for a mountain bike, full suspension. Been looking at the Gary Fisher Superfly 100 in 23 inches. I admittedly don't know much about mountain bike fit, but on my road bikes my top tube is 59 cm, on the superfly it's 66 cm. This seems long. I've tried a Giant XL (too small). Can any other similarly leg predominant types out there weight in?

Other options I've thought of would be the Niner Jet 9 RDO, or a custom Moots Mooto XZ. Other options?

I suppose I should add I'm looking for a cross country bike (definitely a 29er).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi spindly,
    I am also on the hunt for a 29er (but full suspension) I am 6'6 and a bit. Currently have a 2007 23" HT Giant Boulder (first bike) and a Giant XTC 29er XL (Just a bit to small).

I have looked at the following bikes.
    Specialized Stumpjumper 29er Expert FSR XXL
    Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29er XXL
    and currently looking at the Turner Sultan 29er XXL

I know these are all full suspension, but have a look at Specialized as they do a few decent hard tail 29ers, Niner as you mentioned, Ventana elcomandante and elpadrino.
    I am sure others can input on other ones.
    Where are you located ? Have you always had issues finding a bike to fit, test riding bikes in your size etc ???

FKA Malibu412
    I'm just a tad under 6'8" and leg biased with a short torso. Long arms as well. I ride an XXL 2010 Stumpy FSR 29. It's more of a trail oriented bike, the 2011s and soon to arrive 2012s are even longer travel up front at 130mm.

For more of an XC rig, the Superfly , the HiFi (alloy Superfly) and the Jet 9 already mentioned are worthy considerations. I would also consider the SC Tallboy (although SC's run smaller) and Lenz Leviathon. The Stumpy and Sultan are again, more slack and more trail/am oriented. I don't believe that Specialized is building an XXL Epic. Too bad as they don't compete directly with other manus in the 22"-23" frame department in an XC/race FS bike.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry that I can't chime in on the FSR 29er's but I am 6'9" and am riding a 23" XCal with a Thomson kick back seat post. roughly 36-36.5" inseam and the bike fits me almost perfectly.

Looking back, I wish I have gone the HiFi route as the XCal is already "talking" under my big frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I am 6'6" and ride a XXL Ventan El Capitan -- it fits really well. They also make a more cross-country oriented bike called the El Rey. Both are 29ers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks all.

Was looking at the Ventana website, the El Ray comes in a 25", that's huge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spindly_m View Post
    Thanks all.

Was looking at the Ventana website, the El Ray comes in a 25", that's huge.
    WOAH! I'd like to test ride that monster just to see how it compares to my 23" but I actually think it would be too big, and that's not something I get to say often.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by spindly_m View Post
    the El Ray comes in a 25", that's huge.
    Yep, for 6'9" plussers.

The Intense Spider is another option worth looking into. Leans more toward trail orientation at up to 4.75" of rear travel but could pull off xc work with the right suspension setting and tuning. 21.5" of seat tube and 25.5" of top tube on a 46.6" wb would make for a fairly nimble 29er. Really similar to an XL Stumpy FSR 29 in geo but quite a bit more $$.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If your looking for a FS, I would check out the JET or RIP. I am 6'7" and have a 37' inch inseam and ride an XL Air 9. The bikes fits so comfortably for me. I never thought I would find a bike that I actually felt like I was sitting "in" the bike instead of on top of it.

The RIP and the JET both have very similar geometry as the Air 9 so I would DEMO an XL of any of the NINER bikes. They are just great! I highly reccomend!

Most importantly, make sure you ride a bunch of different bikes because only you can decided what works best for YOU.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Bought my first 29'er today. Amazing.

Got the Trek GF Marlin 23" and for the first time in 20 years, rode a bike that fit me. Amazed with the quality of this bike for under $700.

No more gorilla on a tricycle

-Dan in NC

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am 6'8" and after testing 23" Marlin at my LBS I ended up ordering a 2011 Trek/Fisher Cobia. I have a 36" inseam and feel like this bike fits me very well. I have hit the trails every weekend since I bought the bike in June and have come to the conclusion that a Thomson Setback seat post and maybe 200mm crank would make this bike perfect for me. That said, I am confident the Trek/Fisher full suspension 29ers would also fit me well.

How much do you weigh though? Aren't the Superfly and Hi Fi carbon. I am ~285lbs and wouldn't dream of riding a carbon bike. I would snap that thing like a twig.

Frames like that Ventanna one have that nice geometry which would seem to help you avoid racking your nuts. I had a 25" Trek 7200 hybrid that I just sold. I fit on that bike, but it always looked and felt so huge. The stand over height was 34" but felt like I could barely do it. I appreciate the room in the Cobia much more and would hesitate going with any larger frame size unless it had a similar design to that Ventanna.