mtbr member

6'7" 315 and need a road bike

It's been raining here in North Texas 4ever and took my 29"SS out on the road.

what is available for heavy clydes in road bikes

Former Bike Wrench
    How much do you want to spend?

Touring bikes are built to carry a lot of weight so they are plenty strong. Another option is Cyclocross bikes, again often built up plenty strong. The issue here will be that your 6' 7" so getting a frame large enough is the hard part. Most production frames go up to 62cm or maybe 63cm...that may still be a tad small but you'll have to ride them to find out. Check out the Surly Long Haul Trucker or Cross Check...in addition Trek, Raleigh, and Novara make some nice Touring bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I about the same height, and bought a 64cm motobecane cyclocross frame. I still need a long steerer tube (ie. not cut much) and a slew of spacers, but I didn't find a ton of options unless you are willing to spend some real money.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Get a custom frame for 8 or 900. Then build it up with whatever you want to. Really the frame and cranks are the biggies for your height. Get some nice strong wheels as well, preferably handbuilt. You'd have maybe 2.5-3 grand in the whole thing. Don't know if that's within your budget.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    +1 Surly LHT. If I only had the funds.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have about $600 into mine. It's low end, no doubt, and it's no speed demon. It does do the job for grabbing some time on a bike and building some aerobic base.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    basicly from what I've found you're looking for a VERY LARGE frame that will take fairly large tires.... something in the 32mm size for heavier guys like us is about right from what i've read... at minimum a 28mm

you've got a few inches on me... I was lucky enough to find a '93 trek 400 with a 25.5" frame (c-t - about 64.7) which is about right... I need a taller quill/stem still...

realy a CX frame is more about what us typical clyds are looking for... but finding something large enough for you is going to be tough
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Fat guy on a bike
    You don't 'need' huge tires. You don't 'need' steel. You may want at least a 63cm and probably a 65cm frame.

You DO need a solid aluminum frame (or steel) but a carbon fork is gonna be ok. You DO need stout wheels. 25cm or wider tires are going to be nice, but as long as you keep the PSI at 120 you are ok on skinny tires. Puncture protection is nice too (I ride Specialized Armordillos all conditions 25mm).

A cyclocross bike is going to be most likely to give you the most of this out of the box. I ride Mavic Aksium wheels are they ARE tough, despite the 'low' spoke count (affordable to boot).

My bike is a lowish end Trek with the upgraded wheels and tires, and pretty much nothing else changed (well saddle too). I've had it for two years and everything was great after i ditched the noodly wheels.

Right now I would recommend a 'comfort' race bike that has a more upright geometry. They are hard to find in large sizes however.

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    im riding a marin muirwoods 29er as my "road bike" steel frame and strong tires...i havent had any problems.

mtbr member
    If you're not opposed to an older road bike you can find some really nice 25"/65cm or 27"/68cm Raleighs on craiglist. They're the biggest I've seen but I love my 1987 Raleigh 25" and I'm 6'9", one of my buddies is 6'7" and has a larger frame converted to a fixie and it fits me much better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob
    If you're not opposed to an older road bike you can find some really nice 25"/65cm or 27"/68cm Raleighs on craiglist. They're the biggest I've seen but I love my 1987 Raleigh 25" and I'm 6'9", one of my buddies is 6'7" and has a larger frame converted to a fixie and it fits me much better.

Ditto here, I'm 6'7 and riding a 27" Schwinn Paramount vintage about 1980. I had some nice new deep V rims laced up and a carbon fork put on. Heavy and slow vs the carbon guys, but for the price and size, can't beat it. See if there is a shop in your area that specializes in vintage bikes and they will have a few in your size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhitter
    It's been raining here in North Texas 4ever and took my 29"SS out on the road.

what is available for heavy clydes in road bikes

The term "road bike" is pretty general. Everybody's different. Tall riders often get frames too small and too short in the top tube. I recommend getting the tallest you can fit, and the longest you can find, if not custom.

For you, without knowing your proportions, that likely means a 66+cm frame and at least a 63cm TT. You won't find many production frames there. I know of only one production frame that would suit a tall rider of your weight, a Rivendell Bombadil. The 64cm version, with sloping TT, equals a 67-68cm. 64.6cm TT. Can handle all the weight you put at it.135mm spacing in the rear, which is a must for super strong wheels.

But, if price is a consideration.... they aren't inexpensive. This is where you can find a custom builder that can tig weld you frame that can handle your dimensions. Franklin Frames of Newark Ohio, for instance, can do that for around $1100, plus/minus a hundred. His prices are mostly in his head. The great thing, and the horror, of custom .... is choosing all the braze-ons and details. Do your homework, and make sure you get 135mm spacing!

I wish I could give a inexpensive option, but it's not there, for new at least. there is always used. A Surly LHT... any Surly really... is just too small. Yeah sure... you'll find someone quite tall riding one...... but it doesn't really fit them. They'll eventually have to get one that does. Pay now... or pay later.

You really have to know your riding style. I used to ride frame frames with 58 to 59cm TT's, at 6'4". That's the longest they made production frames back in the day. I was always hunched over and used a 140mm stem. Had a lot of shoulder and neck aches. Then I got a custom frame..... 62cm TT, with a extra 1 inch head tube rise. What a difference! I could use a slightly short stem, the bars were not at my ankles..... and all the shoulder/neck pain was gone.

Then you have cranks...... I don't know of any tall rider who could not benefit from at least 185mm arms. They ain't cheap, but again.... it's night and day difference for me.

It's the price of being tall I guess.

-cheers

mtbr member
    ^^^ Keep an eye out for some mid to late 80s Raleigh Techniums if you're not opposed to an aluminum bike. Mine's set up as a singlespeed right now and despite being a much larger frame weighs as much as my friends' much smaller and older steel fixies, it weighed a few pounds more with derailleurs.

I have heard of reliability issues with the Technium frames but I've had no issues with mine so far, only bent axles, which the 135mm spacing would fix if you went custom.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    If you go the CycloX route check out Kona's Jake The Snake. Their 62cm is a monster. I'm 6'4", ride a 60cm and I could barely get a leg of over the big Jake the Snake. A friend that's a tad talled and 30lbs bigger tried it with the same result.
    All you need is love... but Scotch'll do in a pinch.