mtbr member
    Apr 2011

6'5" thinking about a new bike, looking for options

Currently ride an XL santa cruz bullit, which is a 52.1cm st, and 629mm e-tt, seat post is at minimum insert, stem is a 130mm...weighing my options on what to do at this point but I would probably not be getting rid of my bike.

With my bikes current setup it weighs in about 38lbs, has 7" travel fr/rr, and is basically bomb proof...at least stronger than me as I shattered my collar bone when I misjudged a jump last year and the bike wasn't even scratched

What I'm really looking for is something lighter, easier to ride up hills, decent travel (120+mm), and closer to the 23" seat tube length. For comparison, I ride a 68cm road bike frame with 180mm cranks which is larger than the xxxl range for most makers which stops at 64cm - I have pretty long legs.

I have been looking at the Turner Sultan in XXL (58.42cm st, 642mm v-tt, I'm not sure if effective and virtual tt lengths are comparable?)

I like how the sultan is a 29er with 125mm travel (~5") and I have not ridden one yet - I have a request in for a demo ride with the local demo dealer. If I decide on a new bike I want to ride as many as possible first - what other bikes in a similar category should I be looking at that are made in this kind of size?
    Last edited by Blind; 09-05-2013 at 03:38 PM.
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    listen homie , i'm not 1 of those dudes who knows everything about everything in mountainbiking , but i'm 6'6 now 339lbs , I recently brought a 2013 Norco sight killer b 650 (b-3 model) and I absolutetly love it !!!!!!! I'm on a xl pretty much all stock (handlebar & seat changed), it handles amazing and very fun hopping around on the singletrack ,I see you mentioned 7" of travel this bike only has 5.5 fr&rr,,, I don't know what kind of rider you are but man you should give give this bike a test ride hopefully your local bike shop carries that line.................................good luck on your search
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    that seems like a nice bike on paper but the seat tube length of their XL model listed on their webpage is smaller than my current bike, which I feel is too small. But thanks for the suggestion
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Found a couple other options:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT (carbon) comes in xxl 22" seat tube size, 25.3" tt
    Ventana El Capitan comes in 23" -and- 25" seat tube size, 25.9 and 26.7" tt respectively

obviously I'm a tad bias towards the santa cruz, but I gotta ride one! There's no dealers near me for the Ventana I think my local sports chalet carries santa cruz bikes so I'll see if they can't get me one to try out.
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've got the XXL Sultan and it is a fantastic bike - far more capable than I am! I'm 6'7" with a 40" standover and I'd not really see anyone with shorter legs riding it. It is a big bike.
    I had to sell my 21" OnOne Scandal and, despite that having a lot of seatpost, fitted me well. You just have to try and get a ride on what you can - but the Sultan is all the bike and more I hoped it would be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've got the Turner 5Spot and the RFX and both have a great fit for us tall people that are most legs and arms. Note that the Turner Burner (27.5) is a bit longer than the current Sultan. That allows to run a shorter stem. When checking other brands, make sure the head tube is long enough. You don't want a tower of spacers between the stem and the frame to get the handlebars at the height of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    I've got the XXL Sultan and it is a fantastic bike - far more capable than I am! I'm 6'7" with a 40" standover and I'd not really see anyone with shorter legs riding it. It is a big bike.
    I had to sell my 21" OnOne Scandal and, despite that having a lot of seatpost, fitted me well. You just have to try and get a ride on what you can - but the Sultan is all the bike and more I hoped it would be.
    So far I've struck out at all 5 bike shops that are a reasonable distance from me, but the one that is a turner dealer at least sounds like they are trying to find a 23" sultan for me to test ride. The local santa cruz dealer basically blew me off...not how I expected to be treated as a potential $6k bike buyer (XXL Tallboy LT Carbon).

I haven't given up, just really frustrated after the couple of bikes shops I visited today.

oh and speaking of a lot of seatpost, this is my current bike...I'm used to a lot of seatpost

My XL bullit frame is 20.5", my thompson elite seatpost is right on the minimum insert and it isn't high enough
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm 6' 5" and I suffered the same problems with seat post. Both my bikes have nearly 24" seat tubes and over 25" top tubes. About 8 inched of post show.
    38" inseam btw.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    just stumbled across these treks, 29er's with 140mm travel and 3 build kits to choose from, this middle range package looks pretty good to me for the price and goes up to 23" size!

Trek Bicycle

theres a trek store in ventura, maybe I'll check them out tomorrow.
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    just stumbled across these treks, 29er's with 140mm travel and 3 build kits to choose from, this middle range package looks pretty good to me for the price and goes up to 23" size!
    Still a 22" seat tube though and a very short head tube. The Sultan is larger and the Burner is a full size larger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by XXLspot View Post
    Still a 22" seat tube though and a very short head tube. The Sultan is larger and the Burner is a full size larger.
    argh why do they list it as a 23" bike with a 22" seat tube measurement, I missed that part.

The short head tube doesn't bother me, I don't mind having a stack of spacers really so long as the fork stearer is long enough to use a reasonable stem.

What I do like about the burner is the longer tt measurement, but I'm really not sold on the 27.5 thing. The sultan/remedy/tallboyLT all have really close tt (with the tallboyLT being the longest) and that combined with the ST measurement is what I'm mainly focusing on, the ST is less critical to me as that can be fixed with seatpost...would be nice to avoid that though as this bike I intend to have a dropper on and the 400mm long ones are $$$
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    6'5" 225 here with 36" inseam....I have an XXL Sultan and it is by far the best bike I have owned. Takes a ton of abuse and the dw link is just awesome. Was down to the tallboy and the Sultan....very happy with my choice. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

6'5" thinking about a new bike, looking for options

Ended up checking out the trek store in Ventura today and they had a 23" Gary fisher rumble fish elite in stock from last year...it kinda came home with me for a song

Not very happy with the fork and still want a dropper post but it fits me great and feels 90% as stiff as my Santa Cruz!
    6'5" thinking about a new bike, looking for options-imageuploadedbytapatalk1378683994.027467.jpg

Typos from my iPhone using Tapatalk while po0ping.
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

turtles make me hot
    Guy I build wheels for is about 6'7" and had a Salsa Horsethief in XL. Bike looks pretty normal under him.

I'm 6'5" and am currently on an XL Stumpjumper.
    I like turtles