Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Reputation: donalson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,360

    6'5, 315lbs... HOSS or Karate monkey?

    with the coming student loan money i've decided i'm going to pick up a bike finaly... i'd planned to about a year ago but got sidetracked into paintball doh... thankfuly we're moving to Pensacola where there are a few decent trails and i've GOT to get back on the bike.


    i've pretty much decided between either a HOSS deelux or karate monkey the KM would stay rigid till some weight comess off...

    i'm a fairly smooth rider and like to stick to the roads a lot of the time but i love rolling the trails also, no serious bombing around, i like to keep pushing myself so much more of an XC guy then anything...

    my issue w/ choosing comes w/ the fact that i'm 315lbs... i realy like the spec out of the HOSS DL, hydrolic discs, BMX type wheels and a frame I can't kill IF i do manage to do something retarded.

    the real question is... will i be able to spec a KM similarly for around the same $1100 or so bucks? does anyone sell built KM's?

    thanks guys
    mark

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    25
    I am 6'7 and close to 300, and just bought a KM, and love it. The size is perfect for me. I have only done around 10 miles on it so far it seems pretty sturdy. I had it built with discs (not hydros) and some other pretty nice parts and it was around 1300. I think you could do it for around 1100 if you plan right. I bought the complete bike from a dealer, you could probably do it up yourself and save some cash there too.

    I don't know much about the HOSS, but if you are thinking KM I strongly recomend it.

    saul

  3. #3
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    i've pretty much decided between either a HOSS deelux or karate monkey the KM would stay rigid till some weight comess off...
    If you are planning on riding any rough trails, I personally would recommend a suspension fork.


    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    i'm a fairly smooth rider and like to stick to the roads a lot of the time but i love rolling the trails also, no serious bombing around, i like to keep pushing myself so much more of an XC guy then anything...
    OK, so maybe you don't need a suspension fork.


    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    my issue w/ choosing comes w/ the fact that i'm 315lbs... i realy like the spec out of the HOSS DL, hydrolic discs, BMX type wheels and a frame I can't kill IF i do manage to do something retarded.
    Yes, it's a good bike built with beefy parts. Keep in mind, however, it still could break.


    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    the real question is... will i be able to spec a KM similarly for around the same $1100 or so bucks? does anyone sell built KM's?
    That may be a tough proposition. You could run a few different builds through Speedgoat's bike lab and see what they cost. This will give you a good idea of what it possible.

    One other thought that I will add. At ~255lbs I've had some issues with lateral flex with the stock wheels on my standard Hoss (not deluxe). This fact makes me a little leery of using 29'er wheels (which are potentially inherently flexier) for a heavy guy. At your height (and given your intended riding style) a 29'er may be the way to go, though. Just something else to consider.

    Patrick

  4. #4
    Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Reputation: donalson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,360
    suspension fork would be nice... but not nessasary at least in the beginning... i'm moving to an area w/ some trails but i don't think they are very rough...

    i'd prefer to build the rest of the bike to strong enough specs for me and eventualy goto a better fork then start w/ a cheaper bike that i'll be replacing everything over time

    after some build time specs it looks like i'll be be way over budget w/ the KM :-/ shame

  5. #5
    Sumo-Clydedale
    Reputation: RussBackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    54
    I ride a Hoss (6'4", 280), just about everything has been changed. I agree with the above the wheels are very suspect as is the Dirt Jam fork. You can buy a Hoss Frame and build from there. You could probably build a pretty nice bike for 1K or so.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC

    One other thought that I will add. At ~255lbs I've had some issues with lateral flex with the stock wheels on my standard Hoss (not deluxe). This fact makes me a little leery of using 29'er wheels (which are potentially inherently flexier) for a heavy guy. At your height (and given your intended riding style) a 29'er may be the way to go, though. Just something else to consider.

    Patrick
    I think his height / weight make him a perfect 29er guy. Being heavier just makes it that much harder fo a 26 to get out of the holes a 29er rolls over. Salsa Delgados will do him proud if stock wheels break in half.
    undefined[SIZE=1]undefined[/SIZE]undefined

    Slow, but thoughtful

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shmeefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    the real question is... will i be able to spec a KM similarly for around the same $1100 or so bucks? does anyone sell built KM's?
    Yes and yes. I built up a KM with a Reba fork for about $1300. Middle of the road parts with a handbuilt wheelset. I could have dropped the Reba and used that money to beef up the bike (no necessary, it was for my wife). I believe QBP has a thing to spec a KM thru dealers, but it is probably cheaper (and more fun to me) to bargain shop for components.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBackman
    I ride a Hoss (6'4", 280), just about everything has been changed. I agree with the above the wheels are very suspect as is the Dirt Jam fork. You can buy a Hoss Frame and build from there. You could probably build a pretty nice bike for 1K or so.
    I also ride a Hoss (6'3", 205; started at 290 last June), and I'm in the process of changing things out as they break. I've ridden the hell out of the bike (commute every day, trails on the weekends). I love the bike, but the stock wheels suck bad. I broke at least 15 spokes on the rear wheel, and a few on the front wheel before I could afford to replace them. I paid $720 for the bike originally, and I've put about $700 more into it in the past year (spokes, wheels, tires, tubes, cassette, chain, rear der., der. hanger, etc.) I have a Rockshox Reba on the way to replace the stock Dirt Jam fork.

    You're not going to find a nice fork on a $1k hardtail. The Dirt Jam sucks for the most part... only preload adjustment, poor small hit compliance, not plush... la la la. The one thing it is is stout. And heavy. You will not break it, but it won't be great off road. Crank up the preload and it works okay for street riding, but it doesn't have lockout so climbing out of the saddle isn't as efficient as it can be.

    The thing I've learned is this: save some money and buy more bike up front. If you cheap out at all and plan to ride hard and ride a lot, you will pay the difference and then some to keep your bike going and bring it up to par. I say go with a Hoss frame or KM and a custom build in the $1300-1500 range. You will be MUCH better off spending a couple hundred more initially then trying to save money.

  9. #9
    Steamroller
    Reputation: Mattman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,215

    Get the Monkey

    A steel 29r is perfect strong enough that you should not break it, and the 29r wheels are much more in proportion with a guy your size. The monkey is also very versatile allowing SS or gears and front suspension or full rigid.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hrhitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    67
    I'm 6'7" 315 and just bought a Redline Monocog 29er 450.00 out the door.

    I've been riding it about 1 month on the trails and it is still unbroken ( I did snap a CB Mallet C in half ) but bike is good.

    No front fork is killing me though so get a suspension fork and you'll be set

  11. #11
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhitter
    No front fork is killing me though...
    Your bike has no front fork? That thing must be a beast to pedal.

    Patrick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •