mtbr member
    Aug 2013

6'4 300lbs having crankset issues

so I am a big guy on a specialized 29er lbs replaced bottom bracket on my bike after 4 months still having tiking and noise issues so upgraded to a deore 2 pc crankset but now chainring bolts and stuff coming loose every 50 miles or so causing a tiking noise again its annoying expecially after all the money I have spent on new bottom bracket two new crankarms new chain new casset and then after all that new deore crankset and still the tik I have had my bike for only 8 months put 1500 trail/road miles on it I'm tired of it being at the shop do I need to go to a dif lbs or any ideas

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ticking can come from a lot of different places...other than the bottom bracket.

Chainring bolts can have some Loctite applied to help keep them snug.

New chains and drivetrains are part of the being a big fella....ask me how I know!!

mtbr member
    I'm your size and put about 2K miles on my deore 2 piece before it starting ticking. I now have an XT hollow tech II and no longer have any issues. The deore should work fine, what bike do you ride? I have the 3X10 Carve. If you have the 3X9 then what I have to say might not be true for your setup.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    In for answers as well. 6'7" 250 and having the same types of issues. Looking for the strongest crankset for a new build I'm doing.

mtbr member

Take a serious look at a Shimano SLX. I'm 235 kitted up and was over 250 naked a few years back. Quite stiff for their weight. I replaced the BB with a Chris King. It's been super solid. The crank can be found on the cheep if you look for the 660 model, first gen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    thanks I am going to ask my lbs about some locktight but I'm not going to change out my crankset its not even 2 months old its shimano deore 2 piece crankset that set me back 150 I am hopeing for a fix that dsnt cost much or any $ thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I bought the cheapest specialized 29er they make not knowing that I shld of bit the bullet and ate ramen for another month and got a rockhopper like I had wen I was a kid but even then if I wld of spent the money on the nicer bike how do I know those components wld of held up

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    i'm your size and put about 2k miles on my deore 2 piece before it starting ticking. I now have an xt hollow tech ii and no longer have any issues. The deore should work fine, what bike do you ride? I have the 3x10 carve. If you have the 3x9 then what i have to say might not be true for your setup.

Mark
    3x8

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The crank is a pretty robust piece of bike part and there is not much reason why properly-adjusted nuts and bolts would start to undo themselves. Locktite might help a bit and teaching yourself about maintenance, so you can fix and find where the noises really are coming from. A bike can make noises seem to come from all sorts of places.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    People looking for really strong cranks, IMHO shimano saint and race face atlas are bomb proof.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    The crank is a pretty robust piece of bike part and there is not much reason why properly-adjusted nuts and bolts would start to undo themselves. Locktite might help a bit and teaching yourself about maintenance, so you can fix and find where the noises really are coming from. A bike can make noises seem to come from all sorts of places.
    +1 that. Seatpost greased? Clamp tight? Stem/bars installed properly? If it IS actually coming from the crankset, IMHO sounds like you need to have a little talk with the LBS about what is either a warranty or installation issue--or learn to do it properly yourself.

Jonshonda is onto something too--I have a pretty old gravity DH crank I've beaten the crap out of for years and doesn't give me a lick of trouble. If you weigh more than average, no reason your crank can't too...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have great luck with Race Face cranksets. Runnning a Ride DH (old crank, new crank would be Chester) and Evolve crankset on a few bikes. Install easy and are very robust. Really any external bearing crank is gonna be a huge improvement over a cartridge bottom bracket with separate arms (square taper, ISIS, etc.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm 6'5" 285# and I use older Cook Bros cranks, Kookas, and even a newer set of Truvativs with an external BB. They all creak and make noise and bolts etc work their way loose. Keep a set of tools handy in the seat bag, tighten/lube things before each ride and get used to the fact that much of the newer stuff is crap. The stuff made in the 90's seems to be the best products with the best quality and fat guys won't break it.

mtbr member

Don't forget to check your pedals. I thought my bb was going but swapped out pedals and all good.
    Not only is my short term memory horrible, but so is my short term memory.

mtbr member
    Shimano SLX.

It's made for brutal stuff, even has a steel insert where the cranks connect with the pedals to make it tougher. I'm your size, put one on my Niner, never regretted it for a minute.

mtbr member

Re: 6'4 300lbs having crankset issues

Help I run a depress m590 with 0 issues and I'm almost as big as u. Have probably 1k miles on it by now only issue I've had is one time after a few 100 had tighten the left arm down a tad again just from little wear in the bb bearings, 2 minute fix.

Pedals and headset are the only place that I get the clicking type noise. Pedals cause I'm hard on them ($40 platforms) and grease/tighten noise was gone. Any other time I always find the noise to be my headset cause simple trail riding at now 270 (was a hair under 300 when I bought bike in January) the stem seems to shift just enough every so often that it clicks. Simple reset of preload (setting a bit tighter than normal just so little resistance when turning) and done. Noise gone again for a good while. Even took apart and checked a couple times headset is perfect, comes from me yanking up on the bars hard.

As for other areas, everyone else has covered them. Just get a small tube of blue loctite and use a little tiny drop on any and every bolt thread making sure none at all comes in contact with something that moves, make sure tightened properly and enjoy.

Beyond that, where big guys, bikes require more attention and make more noises because of it. If its all tight and working properly, just have fun and ride, if the noise bothers u and nothing is loose that need attention, buy some headphones

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Check the frame for cracks too.

mtbr member
    @250 I had the deore cranks with zero issues. Did upgrade to some specialized pedals(around$70). I'm hard on equipment in general, but those did nicely. Now on a bike with pf30 crank, and wish I had my deore crank back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I find that my pedals make a fair amount of noise but keeping them lubed certainly helps cut down on noise.
    I think it's good practice to tighten bolts and keep things lubed before every ride no matter what size person you are.

rebmem rbtm
    I had a similar issue (obviously i cant tell what the noise is from where im at) and ended up getting a pair of race face diabolus cranks. They're strong beyond my comprehension, weight to match of course, and have this cool double fastener deal going on the crank arm so it doesn't loosen up.

Before throwing parts at it though, make sure the current ones are put on there right and tightened to specifications. Don't just give it the good ol' college try, make it right.

mtbr member
    I had a tiking noise I couldn't figure out once. It turned out to be a cracked frame on the chain stay just behind the BB on the drive side...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I keep taking it back to my lbs and they keep saying they have got it but two or three days later it is back should I take it to another local bike shop idk what to do I don't want to think the small bike shop in my twn dsnt know what they are doing but if they cant figure it out with 4 months of in and out of their shop and 250$ bucks is it a sign that I should take it to the lager bike shop in the twn 20 min from me

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    time for you to start doing your own wrenching on your bike. it's easy. take it to the LBS when you encounter an issue that's beyond your abilities.
    If you're dealing with pressfit BB's, then it's pointless. Get another frame with a real 68/73mm shell.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Ticking can come from a lot of different places...other than the bottom bracket.

Chainring bolts can have some Loctite applied to help keep them snug.

New chains and drivetrains are part of the being a big fella....ask me how I know!!
    Yup! Loctite is a clydes best friend! And it seems to take time for some new parts to stop moving around, and sometimes they never stop. Maintenance is important. To, me there is never any "set it and forget it" mode.

If you wanna ride clyde, you must maintain.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!