mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New question here. 6'4-300 lbs Noob.... Help with bike choice. PLEASE !!!!

Hello all.

I am looking to get back into riding and need some advice on what bikes would work best for my size. I will be doing on road and trail riding. Looking to spend $500-$700. Here are a few of the bikes I have been looking at .

-Trek Marlin
    -Specialized Hardrock sport disc
    -Kona Mahuna
    -Haro Flightline sport 29
    -Cannondale Trail 6

Any and all help/advice is welcome. Thank you for your time !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My dad is 6'5" and around 350lbs, he is riding a 22" XL Mahuna and it has been a great bike. The bikes you listed will be fine as long as you stick to road and light trail riding. If you go to aggressive trail riding and jumping before dropping some weight the wheels will likely fail you. The best thing to do is go with the one with the best fit and feel for you.

mtbr member
    Honestly bottom end bikes are more about what feels good than anything else. They all use similar components and you're going to break things. Ride all of them and buy the one that you feel most comfortable on.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the info. I stopped by my LBS (Trek dealer) and after looking at the components to price I am now stuck on two options. The Trek Mamba ($929) and the Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 ($1100). Litte more then I was looking to spend but looking at the components (fork, brakes etc.) im thinking it may be worth it. Any thoughts/comments ? thanks again.

mtbr member
    The fork on the Rockhopper is the bottom end one from Rockshox. It's called XC28 because the upper tubes are 28mm. That's pretty narrow and at your weight it's going to flex. The Mamba uses a XC32 which is the same technology but 32mm. 4mm doesn't sound like much but it really is. As long you are fit on a G2 bike, which is what all Trek 29ers use, I would go with that over the Rockhopper. The fit though should come before components.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    I'm your size and I love my XXL Carve expert. I just got my son a leftover RH comp for $900. Nice bike. I got lucky and have the 32mm RS on my bike and flex is not an issue, at 80mm it is not that bad. Just get on a 21" and a 23" to see which fits you better. My 23" is the best fitting bike I have been on. Good luck, nice to see you getting into biking.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I stopped by a different LBS today at looked at the Rockhopper pro and the Carve Comp. I Really liked the Rockhopper pro but not sure if the extra $300 may be worth it to go with the Carve Comp. Also tested the Trek Momba today and it was ok but they did not have the correct size at the other LBS for the Rockhopper to compare. Although he said just let him know and he will order one in for me to test ride. So after going over all the info im back to square one with a new budget of 1000-$1600 AH........ too many choices. Not sure what I should do now..... As always any advice/info is welcome. Thank you

mtbr member
    You can always expand your search beyond Trek and Specialized. That kind of budget opens up all sorts of great options. What other brands are in your area?
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Not sure what other dealers I have around. Those were just the two that I know we're around and brands I know are good bikes. What other brands / models would you suggest I take a look at in my price range. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mark thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for your Carve and should I expect to msrp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    Not sure what other dealers I have around. Those were just the two that I know we're around and brands I know are good bikes. What other brands / models would you suggest I take a look at in my price range. Thanks again.
    Giant is the largest bike manufacturer in the world. The XTC would be at the top of your range but is an excellent 29er hardtail.

The Jamis Dragon is great if you prefer a steel frame. Steel is a more comfortable ride than aluminum. I've been riding that one for 3 years and still love it.

GT Karakoram has all different levels for the same frame similar to Specialized.

Cannondale Trail series are some of the higher rated bikes despite what on paper seems like average components.

Look at the manufacturers forums here and you'll get lots of ideas. The best thing is to do is start searching online to see what shops are in your area and then visit them and see what they have.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    we are the same height and weight. i have around a 34in inseam and the Trek fit me very well on my test rides. i went with the COBIA and love it the G2 fits my frame perfect i feel in control, i rode a Scott and maybe it was just my noodle noob arms but i felt shaky at higher speeds on my test rides. i also feel that the COBIA for the price points have better parts then the scott at the same price had to jump up to the next level Scott to the get the air shock and all x5 components.

My .02
    Last edited by Tiilldain; 04-01-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: updated

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just picked up 2013 stache 7. I must say this bike feels great. I have not had a chance to hit the trails yet but I'm sure it will only get better . I tested 3 other bikes and not one even came close to this one. Thanks to everyone for all the posts and info.