mtbr member
    Jul 2007

6'4", 250lbs., ~$1000-$1500.

First time on this forum, and first post. I am considering getting back into biking. I have read through a lot of the threads here and have got an idea of what I am looking for, but am open to suggestions/opinions.

I am not set on a FS bike, although it would be nice, but given my budget, all I could likely afford is the frame. I am not opposed to buying a FS frame and building it over the next few months.

I am pretty much convinced that I would really enjoy the 29" "big wheel" style that seems to be growing in popularity.

My main riding habits would likely be mild to moderate off-road trails, and a few green belt/cross-town rides here and there. Nothing hard core, no insane downhills, jumping, etc...

As far as size goes, I am average I guess for my height/weight. 32" inseam...so maybe my legs are on the shorter side for 6'4"? I dont know. I am guessing an "XL" frame (between 21-22") would probably be the ideal starting point.

So what is out there in my price range ($1000-$1500-ish)? I mainly am looking for something with a very durable FS or HT frame that I can either purchase on its own and build it (over the winter maybe), or a complete hardtail or even a used FS bike that I can upgrade components on over time.

Thanks for ANY suggestions and advice!

mtbr member
    I'll tell you what I think, but it may not be the majority opinion.

your legs are short for your height, or rather your torso is long, so you're going to need a bike with a long top tube. fit is really going to be an issue for you so you really need to get that right. most beginners ignore fit and I think it's the most important thing you should consider. that's because if you're an average size person you just buy a bike without thinking about it, 90 something percent of frames are made for you. if you're not average size very few frames are going to be made that will fit you.

I would go with a steel hardtail, but I always go with a steel hardtail. but for what you plan on doing I can't see why you'd apend the extra money and drag the extra weight. I'm not into fs bikes, I ride cross country, more like hiking, and don't want anything complicated.

I also have short legs and a long torso and after many years I got a custom frame built by carl strong. love it so far.

I would get a bike now and start riding.

it's usually much cheaper to buy a full bike than to put one together, like anything else.

I recently saw the fisher ferrous (which I didn't know about). it's a pretty nice looking bike, very similar to what I just put together for almost half the price, and I was doing some extreme bargain shopping, even buying a lot of used parts. my bike is nicer but it did cost about twice as much. I think there is a ferrous 29" too. the fishers have long top tubes, I believe.

bb

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
    First time on this forum, and first post. I am considering getting back into biking. I have read through a lot of the threads here and have got an idea of what I am looking for, but am open to suggestions/opinions.

I am not set on a FS bike, although it would be nice, but given my budget, all I could likely afford is the frame. I am not opposed to buying a FS frame and building it over the next few months.

I am pretty much convinced that I would really enjoy the 29" "big wheel" style that seems to be growing in popularity.

My main riding habits would likely be mild to moderate off-road trails, and a few green belt/cross-town rides here and there. Nothing hard core, no insane downhills, jumping, etc...

As far as size goes, I am average I guess for my height/weight. 32" inseam...so maybe my legs are on the shorter side for 6'4"? I dont know. I am guessing an "XL" frame (between 21-22") would probably be the ideal starting point.

So what is out there in my price range ($1000-$1500-ish)? I mainly am looking for something with a very durable FS or HT frame that I can either purchase on its own and build it (over the winter maybe), or a complete hardtail or even a used FS bike that I can upgrade components on over time.

Thanks for ANY suggestions and advice!
    The Kona Hoss or Hoss Dee-Luxe is the obvious choice for a Clyde on that budget, although you could get into a Norco Charger or Nitro on that budget. All three are very durable, with the Hoss being a clyde-oriented build and the Norco's just on the tougher side of normal.

mtbr member
    I demoed several Fisher 29ers, and I compared price/components/geometry between the Fisher X Caliber, a Felt Nine, a Jamis Dakota 29er, and the Ibex Section 29...

The Ibex won.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/SEC-29-Details.html

I'm 6'-1", 250.

The Ibex Section 29 is $999 direct, and by far the best bang for the buck available anywhere.

Check the parts list:

Frame: Triple-Butted 6061 Aluminum
    Fork: Rock Shox Reba 29 SL* 80mm Travel
    w/ Air, Remote Lockout & Rebound
    Shifters: SRAM X7 Trigger
    Front Derailleur: Shimano LX
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7
    Crankset: TruVativ Firex 3.3 Team (44/32/22T)
    Cassette: SRAM PG-950 (11-34T)
    Chain: KMC Z9200
    Brakes: Avid BB-7 Disc Brakes
    Levers: Avid Single-Digit 7
    Rims: WTB LaserDisc 29
    Hubs: Novatec 4/2 Sealed Bearing Hubs
    Tires: WTB ExiWolf 29" x 2.30
    Headset: Cane Creek S-3
    Cockpit Set: TruVativ XR
    Saddle: WTB Laser V Team
    Pedals: Shimano M530 SPD Cllipless

It comes in at about 30 lbs. Highly recommended.

Here's my 20" frame model, they run big so they'll fit 6'5" guys fine...(I've added the fenders):

Pump up the REBA Dual Air shocks to 160psi and you're golden.
    I've put about 50 miles of hard trails on it in the past 2 weeks. No issues.
    I can't hype this bike enough. You'd be hard pressed to buy the parts alone for under $1000... and you'd still need a frame.

But, if you insist on giving your local dealer about $400-500 pure profit, buy a Fisher in the $1250-$1600 range.
    Last edited by tgorle; 08-03-2007 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    [SIZE=2]Yup, as stated above, the fit is everything for a taller rider (any rider, really). I'm also 6'4", but I have high hipbones, and I use a 20.5" frame and am at the high(est) end of that bike's fit capability. Although, it is really "flickable" and I love it. I was fitted up to a 22" frame at my LBS but that was pushing it if it got really wild on the trail. It would have had better pedaling efficiency, but the handling characteristics would have taken a slight hit. I do only XC singletrack, so the 20.5" is very nice in the turns for me.

bongo_x mentioned the GF Ferrous, which is their top-line Genesis HT. Very fast & efficient bike with nice components. The Genesis frame is excellent for tall riders due to the long top tube....or so I've been told over and over again. The GF Big Sur is at the top of your pricepoint @ $1500. I recommend this HT, but riding it yourself is what this thread is all about... fit.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pwn
    The Genesis frame is excellent for tall riders due to the long top tube....or so I've been told over and over again. The GF Big Sur is at the top of your pricepoint @ $1500. I recommend this HT, but riding it yourself is what this thread is all about... fit.
    I agree. I recently picked up an '07 21" GF Paragon on sale for ~$1400. I can't believe how comfortable it is. Since buying this bike, I look forward to getting exercise and riding the trails and not the backpain my previous too-small bike gave me.

mtbr member
    I agree with Tgorle.

The Ibex bike is hands down going to be the best bang for your buck. I am very happy with mine. I am 6'2" and was 230ish when I started riding. Mine has held up very well, (my wife would say, better than me. ) I am around 210 now and the bike is still great.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 to learn English.