hawk45

6'4" and 220 for under a grand

My old Schwin is killing me... Want to get more serious about my riding. What bike do you recommend? I went through the Gary Fisher wizard and saw the Tassajara Disk looked pretty nice and also have read about the Specialized Rock Hopper Comp Disk is decent. Any other options? Or are these not strong enough for my size?

Thanks,
    noob Hawk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kona Hoss

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...1&parentid=182

I would think the 22" size would be perfect for you. It just so happens that Kona still has a ton of that one size only in 2005 models. If you have a Kona dealer nearby, hit them up and see what they can do for you. You should be able to get that for a sizeable discount.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

mtbr member
    alot of clydes like the Kona Hoss. I just picked up a Haro escape. they dont make em for 06, so call arround and see if you can find one on clearance.

Good luck

Matt

mtbr member
    Are you looking at mostly hardtails? What type of riding? What skill level are you?

Oh, and don't beleive the hype that you NEED a Clyde-worthy frame. I agree that a super lightweight XC race bike might not be your best option, but 220 isn't THAT big. I'm 6'3" and around 216 right now (was almost 260 before I took up riding again) and I am riding a Kona Kikapu. I test rode the Hoss at the recomendation of others on the board, but found it to be overkill and HEAVY for what I weighed and what I needed. I liked the Fisher hardtails a lot too and the Cobia (GF base model 29er) was great too, but the deal I got on my full suspension bike was too good to pass up. BTW, my Kikapu weighs exactly what a Hoss weighs in the same size. That thing is one stout hartail.

My LBS has some smokin' deals on some holdover Kikapus that might work for you. Let me know if you want their contact info.

*EDIT* talk to bikerboy above. He works there. He's even got his old 21" frame for sale. hehehe............Good luck, Aaron.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hallin222
    Are you looking at mostly hardtails? What type of riding? What skill level are you?

Oh, and don't beleive the hype that you NEED a Clyde-worthy frame. I agree that a super lightweight XC race bike might not be your best option, but 220 isn't THAT big. I'm 6'3" and around 216 right now (was almost 260 before I took up riding again) and I am riding a Kona Kikapu. I test rode the Hoss at the recomendation of others on the board, but found it to be overkill and HEAVY for what I weighed and what I needed. I liked the Fisher hardtails a lot too and the Cobia (GF base model 29er) was great too, but the deal I got on my full suspension bike was too good to pass up. BTW, my Kikapu weighs exactly what a Hoss weighs in the same size. That thing is one stout hartail.

My LBS has some smokin' deals on some holdover Kikapus that might work for you. Let me know if you want their contact info.

*EDIT* talk to bikerboy above. He works there. He's even got his old 21" frame for sale. hehehe............Good luck, Aaron.
    Ian is definate correct on the weight of the Hoss. It all depends on how you ride and what your priorities are. The Hoss is the kind of bike you will probably never break. The Kikapu is a very clyde-worthy bike. I go 250 and mine always came back for more. The 2005 model Kik is a bit stronger frame design than my 2004 since it has gussets on the head tube and seat tube. It also has 1/2" more rear travel and that travel is quite a bit more plush than the 2004.

If you prefer a hardtail, then you can definately get a lot nicer components for the same money or the same components for a lot less. The Hoss isn't the only bike in the Kona lineup that would work for you. I used to ride a Fire Mountain, which is a lower end bike. As long as you have a nice stout wheelset and a decent fork with large stanchion tubes, you will have a platform that will stand up to the rigors of a clyde. Even some of the cheaper Kona hardtails have a Marzocchi fork which has 30mm stanchion tubes. Anything thinner will feel like a noodle under your weight.

If you want a suggestion for a hardtail, I still would recommend the 05 Hoss. You should be able to get one at great discounted price. That gives you some cash leftover for a few upgrades. The fork on that bike weighs at least 6 lbs. You could easily knock 2 lbs off the bike by upgrading the fork to something like a Marzocchi MX Comp or RockShox Reba if you want to spend a little more. I think then you'd have a bike that weighs in the lower 30 lb range. Any of Kona's non-clyde bikes weigh 29-30 lbs, so you aren't really at much of a weight disadvantage, but you'd have one killer strong bike.

As much as I'd like to be able to sell you a bike, shipping it to you would violate our dealer agreement.

hawk45
    I am fairly new... hence the use of the $200 Schwin for the past few years. Mostly just been tooling around on paved trails and some local beginner off-road trails. I am sick of working out in the gym and want to get outdoors again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk45
    I am fairly new... hence the use of the $200 Schwin for the past few years. Mostly just been tooling around on paved trails and some local beginner off-road trails. I am sick of working out in the gym and want to get outdoors again.
    Well, if you plan to keep doing the paved trails and beginner off-road stuff, then the Hoss is overkill. However, if you want to progress to tougher stuff, then it might not be a bad idea.

Its always cheaper to buy more than you need than to upgrade a bike that wasn't good enough. That is what I always try to convey to customers. 9/10 times it saves them money in the long run.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Some generally useless advice....

Based on the type of riding you do now, and your budget, I recommend skipping the rear shock. It's one less thing to buy and maintain. Hardtails with good front forks are not obsolete.

You should check out 29er forum for ideas on 29 vs. 26 inch wheels. I'm 6'9", and really benefit from the 29er. It's a mistake in 2006 to drop a grand w/o looking at 29ers.

Your height makes you more of a clyde than your weight. You probably can't find a stock frame that's too big for you. I'd look for fit rather than extra frame strength.
    undefined[SIZE=1]undefined[/SIZE]undefined

Slow, but thoughtful

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tallboy69
    Based on the type of riding you do now, and your budget, I recommend skipping the rear shock. It's one less thing to buy and maintain. Hardtails with good front forks are not obsolete.

You should check out 29er forum for ideas on 29 vs. 26 inch wheels. I'm 6'9", and really benefit from the 29er. It's a mistake in 2006 to drop a grand w/o looking at 29ers.

Your height makes you more of a clyde than your weight. You probably can't find a stock frame that's too big for you. I'd look for fit rather than extra frame strength.
    That is good advice. A few manufacturers still make 26" wheel bikes in big frames that should be big enough. I've seen some 22 and 23" frames from various manufacturers.

The 29er is definately a good idea. I just built one myself and really like the way it fits. I wish I could give a ride report, but it has been cold and rainy and now I have come down with a cold. The 29er really does fit larger frames a lot better. My brother-in-law who is 6'3" but actually should be 6'6" due to spinal issues really liked my bike. He knows very little about bikes, but the first thing he said when he saw it was, "Hey, you got a bike that fits me."

hawk45
    What are some good 29's to look at? I have to agree.. I would rather get more bike than I need now and grow into it than have to get a new bike later. I also think I want to stick with a hardtail.

mtbr member
    What are some good 29's to look at? I have to agree.. I would rather get more bike than I need now and grow into it than have to get a new bike later. I also think I want to stick with a hardtail.
    Check out the Gary Fisher's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Most 29ers are available only as frames, meaning you have to spend quite a bit to build one up. Like hallin said, check out Gary Fisher. They have the most complete lineup of 20ers. I believe they have one under a grand.

mtbr member
    Yup, just barely under a grand. You might find one for about $900 if your LBS is helpful.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...9er&bike=Cobia

I rode this bike. NIce.

*EDIT* Oops, link doesn't work quite right. Just click on '29er's' then on 'Cobia'.
    Last edited by hallin222; 02-22-2006 at 06:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

21" frame @ 6'4"?

Don't mail order that Cobia just yet. The largest size is 21". You are a big dude about to drop a mortgage payment on a toy. That's great, but you must find one that fits. Scope the Ventana El Capitan @ 25" . Look at Zinn Cycles gallery for some web perspective on what big boy bikes look like. I know they are out of price range, but plopping a grand on an also ran won't get you where you want to be.

Think about getting measured and doing a custom frame. You will probably double your cost, but you could be DONE FOR LIFE on the bike frame issue with a cool, classic, custom steel hardtail.

Otherwise, check out some TREK's (3600?) @ 22.5" for $3-400. You'll be more comfortable on current rides, without breaking the bank.
    undefined[SIZE=1]undefined[/SIZE]undefined

Slow, but thoughtful

Glad to Be Alive
    hard to find, but a better way to spend your money is buy used....this way you spend 1/3 to 1/2 the money and get an "experienced" bike which allows you to sample something else until you make your your more educated purchase of the type of bike you really want for your style of riding
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by tallboy69
    Don't mail order that Cobia just yet. The largest size is 21". You are a big dude about to drop a mortgage payment on a toy. That's great, but you must find one that fits.
    I second this. I'm 5'11" and ride a 20" Hoss with a 110mm stem. Plus I've got my seat post jacked up pretty high. And it fits me fine. The OP has got 5" in height on me. IMO, he should definitely be looking at a bigger bike. Unless he knows he likes the feel of a small bike.

Patrick

29 some of the time...
    My old Schwin is killing me... Want to get more serious about my riding. What bike do you recommend? I went through the Gary Fisher wizard and saw the Tassajara Disk looked pretty nice and also have read about the Specialized Rock Hopper Comp Disk is decent. Any other options? Or are these not strong enough for my size?

Thanks,
    noob Hawk
    6'3" 240lb. I picked up a Rockhopper Pro XC disc in December. I picked up a 21" and it fits great. Out of the box with good components. Just over $1K if you can find a dealer to work with you then you can bring it close to the budget you were looking at. I changed a few things from stock because I am just that way. I have been pleased with the ride it is stiff enough for my weight, but not abusive like the Chameleon's I have run in the past. They make a 23" size, but that thing is really big.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    im 6'4 225-230ish and ride a 21" '05 Rockhopper. i'm really happy with its fit and durability so far. from what i gathered in my researched the rockhopper frame is pretty stout and clyde-approved.

loco
    I'm 6' 5 220 and I got about 6,000 miles out of a 21" Kona Caldera before the frame lost it's pop. I think you can pick one up complete for about $800. Great bike but now I'm on a RM Blizzard. Much more expensive though.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

Save up and buy right and buy big

You'll be much happier growing into a bike than outgrowing one and risking your safety.

Weight, smeight...we're freakin clydes folks. It's the engine not the bike......you can drop 5 lbs a lot faster and cheapr than dropping 1-2 lbs off a bike.

Get something beefy that you won't break and can take out and have fun with and not worry that if you drop a ledge or try something new, that you risk your safety.....

Do consider the 29ers, they look to be nice. I wish I woulda tried them out to see.
    I'm 6'6" and 250. I love my Super Moto, but it wasn't cheap.

Go rent some bikes and go play in the dirt. Rent, Rent, Rent.
    Try everything you can get your a$$ on.

Do try a full squishy....your ass and teeth, joints, etc will thank you.

It's about fit and safety, not price or weight.....those are mutually exclusive.

Like others have said, upgrade when you buy is cheaper than after....spend wisely once....

Just my $.02
    Erik

hawk45
    Thanks guys... when I get some time to get out to the bike shops I will see what feels the best, get measured and see what I can find used. I would actually rather buy used...as long as it has not been beat to crap.

Hawk

Sumo-Clydedale
    Check out the classifies there is a Kona Hoss Delux with very nice upgrades for less than a stock Hoss.

Members who have read this thread: 0