mtbr member
    Mar 2006

6'3" 310lbs down to 3 bikes / HARDROCK vs YUKON vs RESPONSE which to buy?

Like i said im' 6'3" 310 lbs... BIG CLYDE!!

Haven't rode in a while looking to get into a bike that wont crumble below me...

Thank you everyone for all of your responses....

I have it narrowed down to a few bikes....for around 450ish...

-Diamondback Response Sport Comp
    -Giant Yukon
    -Specialized Hardrock Sport disc

Whatcha think? Any Suggestions?????

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Good job! Giant Fan

Well not a lot of experience here but I am guessing the type of riding you are going to do probably makes a difference.

I have an older (98) Giant Rincon that I have ridden mainly on asphalt and hard packed trails since it was new. No real problems up until about 2 yrs ago. Have since replaced just about everything but the frame.

Just bought a new (04) Giant Iquana and am really liking it, going to use it for mild off-road stuff.

BTW I am 6'6" and ~300lbs.

Sumo-Clydedale
    I do not know where you budget lies, but their is a very good deal on a Kona Hoss Delux in the classifieds section. It's a 05 model, with sigificant upgrades, selling below the cost of a stock Hoss.

I am just returned to cycling, and 6' 4" and near 300lbs. I ride a upgraded Kona Hoss. Love the bike, built for us stout fellows.

I can break that

You need to spend money

6' 2", 300lbs at the point of this story.

I thought I was getting a good deal, last years model, slightly used, 40% of retail. Specialized HotRock A1 FS, 21" frame. Biggest frame, for a big rider, right. WRONG. big frame does not mean it's built for a big rider. Silly me.

Well, I spent more on repairing the rear wheel/hub/axel than I did for the bike. Every 50~100 miles ment a repair was needed. I ended up bending 3 of the hollow steel axels, had a complete hub failure, warped rim, 4 broken spokes. All this just riding on the street, no off-road, no trails, no jumping off anything higher than the curb, just asphalt.

Make sure you get a quality wheelset or have one built after buying the bike. Most of the stock entry level to low mid level bikes have low end wheelsets/hubs. We not only need to consider the added weight that the hub is supporting, but the added friction that the weight is placing on the hub. An increase in friction means an increase in temp, the grease breaks down faster and as metal heats up it's easier to bend. It's a compound problem.

The low end hubs are not designed for our weight to begin with and when they heat up from the friction, watch out.

Now you experience may be different. I did not always tip the scales at 300, however I have always had the ability to break things. The words "Heavy Duty", "Unbreakable", "Bulletproof" or "Bombproof" just tell me it's going to last a little longer than the standard stuff. It's a gift I've had since I was about 2.

Look in the classifieds here or ebay for a higher quality bike or for used wheelsets if the budget is tight. Hope this helps.

Well, I got tired of repairing the old bike, bought a used Fisher 129, no worries so far (3 months). I am having handbuilt wheels made and can't wait to break those too. Maybe I can't, Chris King ISO (HD Rear) hubset, Sun RhynoLite 29er rims, straight gauge silver Wheelsmith spokes, silver brass DT Swiss nipples. Everyone I've talked to says not likely. Time will tell.

I'm now down 40 lbs, would like to drop another 30~40. Keep riding, find someone to ride with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    awesome... i tlooks as if im gettin an 05 db topenga comp new for 399 good idea?

it tied the room together
    Quote Originally Posted by TsunamiMike
    awesome... i tlooks as if im gettin an 05 db topenga comp new for 399 good idea?
    My guess is that you'll love it, right up to the time that you break it.

Boy boys need beefy toys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    my budget is about 450 any other suggestions...the guy at my lbs said that the topenga frame will flex but the response sport wont flex what the heck does that mean?

I can break that

Frame flex

The response sport has a stronger frame than the topenga.

The flex is you and your lbs bending the frame. This could be good, or it could be bad.

If the frame is designed to flex it is good.
    As the frame flexes it absorbs the energy from the load. Much like shock absorbers on the forks or full suspension bikes. Makes for a smoother ride, helps disipate the energy.

If it is not designed to flex, watch out!
    Flex could lead to break. You can only bend it so far... then snap.

My suggestion go for no flex, but that's my opinion.

The important thing is to get the bike that fits. Don't just look at the standover height, sit on the bike, adjust the seat, ride around the block. Make sure the seat to handlebars are good too. The more comfortable you are on the bike the more you will ride.

Everybody has their own idea of how a bike should fit. Make sure it feels right, it will make a huge difference.

The Mountain Bike Life
    Get a good frame (do some research on the bikes you are interested in) and then upgrade the wheels....or at least the back hub, I have eaten many a "good" hubs and finally had to bite the bullet and get a king....

Also, make sure the forks can take your weight (or at least start saving for better forks), and maybe some larger rotors for the brakes...

Frame wise I like the Specialized the best...nice lookin frame...

Good luck and happy trails.