mtbr member
    Aug 2009

6'3" 245lbs Need bike suggestions

Looking to get into biking and need suggestions on bike to look into.

Former Bike Wrench

29 some of the time...
    First thing to do is check the FAQ thread. It has a lot of good info to start. 6'3" and 245, we could be twins
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks will check it now

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    1. Budget: $1000-$2000
    2. Haven't looked at any bikes yet.
    3. Looking to do Cross Country
    4. Looking for full suspension
    5. age: 28, height: 6'3", weight: 245lbs.

hope this helps. Looking to bike for fun and exercise and to supplement my photography habit. Don't know the lingo and haven't bike since I was a teen.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by argg
    1. Budget: $1000-$2000
    2. Haven't looked at any bikes yet.
    3. Looking to do Cross Country
    4. Looking for full suspension
    5. age: 28, height: 6'3", weight: 245lbs.

hope this helps. Looking to bike for fun and exercise and to supplement my photography habit. Don't know the lingo and haven't bike since I was a teen.
    Well, I would recommend a 29er for your height. This would all but eliminate a full suspension but 29ers roll over obstacles so much better that unless your riding really hardcore...you don't really need a full suspension. I actually went from a 5" full suspension to a 29er hardtail with a 3" travel fork and love it.

Since your a newby, I would recommend going into a LBS to try out a few bikes. Gary Fisher, Specialized, Giant (for 2010), Jamis, Niner, Kona, and a few more all make several 29er hardtails that will fit into your budget.

Good Luck

Disgruntled Peccary
    I'll second the 29er recommendation. So much nicer than a 26" bike at 6'3-4ish.. and yes, go test ride a bunch, they do fit differently. Right now is a good time too, since the '10 model years are rolling in and your LBS may have '09's or even (as was my case) '08's lying around and deals may abound.. plus there are a whole bunch of new 29ers out that are nice.
    mike

Flaccid Member
    Look into a budget Voodoo Canzo, as big as they come, for your height. Full Sus frame at a very good price, or maybe a Kona Hei Hei.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    trek 21.5 ex8.1999.00 currently at the trek stores in sandiego. When i bought my ex9 i was 6"4" 250. I weigh 230lbs now. I love this bike!!!!! and i ride the 21.5
    TCSD
    UC Cyclery
    Braveheart Fitness
    Cactus Racing

29 some of the time...
    $1000-1300 will get you a decent hard tail mtb. $1800-2400 will get you into about the same component class in full suspension bikes. 29er is a good option, but at 6'3" it isn't a necessity and typically they cost a bit more (not always mind you, but typically you get more bang for the buck staying on 26in wheels).

I would recommend a visit to your local shops. See what they have left, it is getting late in the season so if you can find a 21/XL in stock you are likely to get a good deal. Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, and Giant all have good bikes in your price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Fat guy on a bike
    I'll second the Trek Fuel EX. Heck, you might even be able to find a Remedy old stock under 2k, which, while an all mountain rig still pedals really well.

The Specialized Pitch is a heck of a bike for the price. I like the look of the new stumpjumpers as well.