Shifted
    Feb 2009

6'2"+ on Motobecane Fantom DS comp, Pro, team????

Anyone 6'2"+ riding on Motobecane Fantom DS comp, Pro, team????
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ompro_dsIX.htm
    http://motobecane.com/fantomgeometry.html

I'm 200lbs, 6'3" with a bit longer legs than typical. 76.5" wing span. Just getting back into riding with a 4 year layoff after my 98 FSR GC got stolen.

I'm thinking of ordering a bike without riding it first.. . yeah I know, bad idea. I have been shopping around for good deals and just can't come up with something that beats the value of ordering one from bikesdirect.com.

I'm specifically looking for full suspension light weight.

From riding other bikes, I know a XL specialized FSR, Large Titus ML 1, Giant XL all fit me. titus felt best but I found that the seat needed to be so high, I could barely touch the ground.

Gary Fisher hi fi + Large does not fit me.

The geometry on the Moto fantom is a kinda odd for a large that is suppose to cover the XL crowd as well. The bimensions are limited on the Moto. It has a pretty tall standover height. Low BB height at 11.75", shorter top tube length and wheelbase than most XL bikes.

couple major questions.
    Would you rather buy a bike that is slightly too big or too small?
    Would simply using a 1" offset seat post and 1" longer steering neck be a good way to get the "XL" feel for cabin size?

Any input would be nice.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm 6',1" , 220 and rode a Large 2009 Comp DS the other day at the local BD shop. The cockpit felt strangely cramped. At 23.5 inches , the TT was terribly shorter than my 21" Fantom Pro 29er TT length of 25.1. Makes me hesitate on buying the Fantom Team I was considering. Swapping stems and seatposts to get a comfortable fit may not be worth it. Besides I thought I read somewhere that BD was coming out with a 4" FS 29er at some point.
    This probably doesn't help a bit. Good luck.
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    I ending up buying a 20" Kona Hei Hei 29er. For a 6'3" guy, my Kona fits just right but for road/cross country riding, the seat does need to go all the way up. I think it would be too small for a taller guys.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I picked up a fantom 29 and I am 6'7", 215lbs. I had to get a stem riser, but other than that it fits me well and I like it.
    Motobecane Fantom 29- Matte black
    1st season mtn biker here, bare with me and the questions

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Clear!

Bump!

Anyone else have experiences with the Moto Team DS?
    Last edited by kzsteve; 06-12-2010 at 06:30 PM.