mtbr member
    Feb 2013

6'2" 305 lb Clyde looking for a bike

Hello fellow Clydes

I have been riding a bike since I was about 4 or 5 and stopped around the age of 18/19 or so (due to driving and what not). Anyways, after a 10 year hiatus (during which I have transformed into a glorious Clyde) I am looking to get back into the swing of things. I live in North Central MA, so we have very hilly/rooty/rocky terrain. I plan on riding my bike 7 days a week 365 days a year (except maybe in snow and ice until I get the bike properly equipped). My riding will be 50/50 road and off road and I would like to commute to work during the summer (9.75 miles one way). I am looking for a bike that I won't break at my current weight with the type of riding I plan on doing. I would like to lose 80lbs by this time next year and plan on using my bike to help me get there. Any and all suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Oh, almost forgot budget.

I want to buy new, not used and MY budget is $1500. Now keep in mind that this is MY budget..my wife will most likely have an extremely lower one in mind, so try to keep the suggestions as low as possible. We do plan on going to a LBS so I can get fitted for a bike, I just want to be somewhat prepared before we go.

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is this both a good Clyde bike/beginner bike?

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er Hardtail

I would post the link but I don't have enough posts

mtbr member
    You can swing the Rockhopper Pro 29 and have a little left over. Seems like a decent bike for the price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate3510 View Post
    You can swing the Rockhopper Pro 29 and have a little left over. Seems like a decent bike for the price.
    Thanks Nate! Any other suggestions out there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I would suggest a better set of rims, I would suggest a set of Pacenti TL28's. They are wider than the Stans Flows and are eyeleted which makes for a stronger wheelset. Maybe a bigger front rotor also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    I would suggest a better set of rims, I would suggest a set of Pacenti TL28's. They are wider than the Stans Flows and are eyeleted which makes for a stronger wheelset. Maybe a bigger front rotor also.
    Thanks for the suggestion dan

mtbr member
    If you are looking for the road and trails definitely stick to a hard tail. You don't want a full suspension at that price point.

Your first step is to do to the local bike shops in the area and try everything. That will give you an idea of what you like and what doesn't fit. Before you consider any bike you need to get on all your options and narrow your list.
    He who dares....wins!

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If you are looking for the road and trails definitely stick to a hard tail. You don't want a full suspension at that price point.

Your first step is to do to the local bike shops in the area and try everything. That will give you an idea of what you like and what doesn't fit. Before you consider any bike you need to get on all your options and narrow your list.
    Go to your nearest LBSs and see which one rubs you the right way. You may find a bike at one you like, but you may find out you dont want to give those schmucks your hard earned money too.

Also, save some money for necessities like a helmet, pump, minitool, etc. Theres a good sticky in the beginner sub forum too.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Koppuh Klyde View Post
    Go to your nearest LBSs and see which one rubs you the right way. You may find a bike at one you like, but you may find out you dont want to give those schmucks your hard earned money too.

Also, save some money for necessities like a helmet, pump, minitool, etc. Theres a good sticky in the beginner sub forum too.
    Thanks, I'll check that stickie out!

mtbr member
    Surly Ogre...$1499

Ogre | Bikes | Surly Bikes

29er wheels that will roll well on and off road, strong wheels, strong frame and fork, available at LBS and REI
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Surly Ogre...$1499

29er wheels that will roll well on and off road, strong wheels, strong frame and fork, available at LBS and REI
    Thanks BW

mtbr member
    I am basically the same size and have ridden a Specialized Rockhopper for 2 years now. I upgraded the fork last summer to a Reba RL 29, which works great even for my weight. Granted, I'm 52 years old and slow as hell, but the bike has been bullet-proof.

I did break a front rim, but I think that was more the trees fault than the rim!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Surly Ogre...$1499

Go with a bike like this if all you can budget is 1500 IMHO. Any fork you are gonna get is gonna be junk for a guy your size and upgrading the fork will happen down the road. Mine as well start with a tough bike with good components. I would consider going used unless your truly dead set against it. If you are not in a hurry( Living in mass you shouldnt be were are getting a blizzard sunday) you may catch a deal. There are a lot of stupid people out there that drop big money on a bike and give up and sell a mint bike at huge loss. Being a big guy you want good wheels first and foremost and strong drivetrain. If you ride a lot you will tear up cheap chains and cassettes monthly thus spending as much as if you just got a bike with good stuff in the first place.

mtbr member

6'2" 305 lb Clyde looking for a bike

Look into the Airborne Goblin. I am 6'2" and 245 and the bike feels great for me. Really solid bike and rides great on and off road. The wheels that come with the bike are plenty strong too.

http://www.airbornebicycles.com/prod...13-goblin.aspx

Plus it comes in under your target price and has an X7 drivetrain with a Reba fork. Lots of good parts for the money.
    Last edited by KrazyKreitzer; 02-21-2013 at 08:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well I recently asked the same thing, only with a budget of 3k. And got told a lot of the same things. Guys our size are gonna need better rims and suspension more than anything. One of my good friends and ex bosses, who is also a Clydesdale told me to stick with Fox or Cane Creek suspension. So unless you plan on spending 600-900 down the road on a new front fork, I'd try and find a bike with Fox forks upfront. Because then the only major upgrade you have left down the road is a better wheelset.

I would recommend something like this (I am looking at it as well, since I can't get a FS bike just yet).

Santa Cruz Bicycles CHAMELEON

Not too sure about some of these other bikes. But if you can sweet talk or bribe the wife into letting you get that SantaCruz I'd say go for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here's another decent bike, a lil more than 1500, but again if you can sweet talk or bribe the wife (like I do mine), you wouldn't have to upgrade much down the road on either this or the SantaCruz I linked above.

MARIN BIKES**|** Mountain HT**|**29er **|**Nail Trail 29er

Hope these ideas help some.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    +1 on the Rockhopper and I'm the same size and height as the OP. Wheels may be an issue but if you break spokes, get your wheel rebuilt under warranty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for all the responses . I don't feel so "lost" anymore. Really helpful, I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    At your price point a Hardtail is defiantly the way to go. I have a Niner EMD that I started riding when I was 320lbs (now 295lbs) with Flow's, built the bike myself for around $1500 but have put more into it since then. As stated earlier, Stans flow wheel are the ticket...Happy Trails!!!

mtbr member
    Ditto on the Surly Ogre recommendation if you want a new bike. They're not fancy but they are built pretty solidly. After you've been riding a bit and have some funds I would look at adding a front shock and some upgraded wheel sets (I'd probably want 2 sets of wheels and tires eventually, one for commuting and one for off-roading.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    the 2 wheel set idea is a great recommendation. thanks man, I'll look into that.