mtbr member
    Jan 2012

6'2" 300 lbs need help picking a bike

Hey everyone,

I need some help narrowing down a few bikes before I test ride them. Have any of you had any experiences with the below bikes or heard any feedback on them?

Cannondale Flash 29er 3 Bike

Cannondale SL Trail 29er 3 Bike

GT Karakoram 1.0 29er Bike

GT Karakoram 2.0 29er

Scott Scale 29er Comp

Raliegh Talus Comp 29er

Scott Scale 29er Team

Thanks!!!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Cannondale Flash 29er 3 Bike - 2012 at REI.com
    that one is the only one with a proper air fork... coil isn't going to cut it for big dude like you...

that being said this is where I'd go if I was spending that much and looking at a 29er
    XtC 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    get a 15mm front axle with a fork that is supposed to be pretty stinkin good for big guys and components that should last reasonably well even under big girth such as ours
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My friend just bought a Raleigh Talus 29er Sport. He traded in 2 of his older bikes that he doesn't ride and got a little money for them which he used to get a discount on this bike. He likes it, although he is nowhere near being a clyde. It seems like a nice bike to me, but we both agree that it isn't anything like the bike I built for myself. I would suggest, if possible, that you try them out and see what your body says about each one. I am wanting to build a 29er next, but I am searching for a particular frame and then I will start another build.

I built my bike to handle my 319 pounds. It will also handle me when I weigh less too 8-)

Good luck in your search.

Jon

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm your size and weight and I'm riding a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29. Great bike although the fork is a bit flexy.

If you can afford it, stretch to the Giant XTC 29er 2. Great value and a great fork.