mtbr member
    Aug 2007

6'10" - I'd like some cheese with my whine.

I'm 6'10", 340lbs, and have spent hours and hours poring over these boards, a good amount of time with LBS employees (most of them enthusiastic and friendly about helping me out), read reviews, and still, I seem to have no sub-$1K options for a ride.

I've always got the Giant Yukon 25" frame to try, but I keep hearing that at 300+lbs, i'll lay waste to those components in no time, doubling or tripling the price of the bike. Even then, I've got a circus bike with a huge frame and dinky 26er's.

My next stop is a 23" Specialized Rockhopper Disc, but I'm not convinced that'll work, although I might try to ride one today.

Please, can some company come up with a sub-$1K 29er hardtail with an 24" or 25" frame? Even if the components aren't great, I'm sure a lot of us tall/big guys would snap one up, then be able to slowly improve the bike over time.

Is there something I haven't seen...or maybe even something on the horizon in the $1K range that I can wait for?

Stackula

Bummer dude

Hey dude,
    Looks like sub $1k is pretty much out of the question! I know that Ventana makes a sweet 29'er in a 24" frame thats about $900., and the Salsa Dos Niner are sick, but they are close to $1k frame only. If you call the guys at Adrenalinebike.com they may be able to set you up with a deal on a Ventana with an affordable build kit. I bought my Foes TheFly from them and they were extremely helpful, unlike most of the local shops that give attitude to big dudes.
    Good luck bro!!
    CHRIS D.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks a bunch for the ideas man. I've been spending time on the ventana site, but they sure are expensive. How much can you get for a kidney these days?

As for the LBS folks, for the most part, they've been really friendly, just at a loss for suggestions...and for good reason. I'm sure they'd suggest any way possible to get me to part with my money if there were some options out there.

Stackula

Wrench science

You also might try www.wrenchscience.com.
    They have the Niner E.M.D. 9 29 for around$799.
    CHRIS D.

Back in the saddle
    I'm 6'5 250 and ride a 18" GT. I've always ridden smaller frames, fell I have.better control with a smaller frame. Problem is finding clipless shoes, none to be had for cheap at size 16.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

The Big Guys Get No Love

Man, I thought I was having problems at 6'5", 300lbs. I am disappointed in the market. They have the technology -- they just don't want to spend a lot of money.

I'm fitting to go out and learn how to weld just so I can make the bike that I want -- a burly-@$$ 29er hardtail with XC geometry and DH beef. I'll probably have to make my own suspension fork, too. FINE. I'll make it so that it doesn't work well for anyone UNDER 250lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beanfink
    I'll make it so that it doesn't work well for anyone UNDER 250lbs.
    Yeah, at least when I finally get something put together to ride, I won't have to worry about my friends dinging it up when they take it out for a test ride. They won't even be able to get their leg over the durn thing.

It does seem like there's probably enough room for one or two companies to put together a larger/beefier frame specifically for us tall guys at a reasonable entry price. I mean, those Zinn bikes seem INCREDIBLE, but I'm new to this, and my wife would leave me immediately were I to plop down $5,000 for one.

Making fat cool since '71
    At 340 your biggest issue with a 29'r is going to be wheel strength. Plenty of folks make 29'r frames that will fit you (nothing other than the Niner to be built for unker a grand I'm aware of). I know there's a company or two touting their 29'r hoops as "aggro" or some such thing, but I've ridden them and they feel "flexy" under me (255lbs) when jumping/ripping it so I'm skeptical they would be good for a 340lb rider. I'm sure you have been scouring the 'net for a used frame of course. Maybe nothing, but maybe somthing will come up used.

Maybe you just buy the best bike you can afford for now and ride the hell out of it until you can get a semi-custom (or full custom!) frame made by Zinn or whoever. There's a guy here in OR who makes great custom frames (DeSalvo) and can make a full custom 29'r for a reasonable price.

Stay with Marzocchi forks. Even when I was up at 315+ and jumping/etc my old (now retired) Z1's were excellent. Correct spring rates were difficult to find at that weight and there were not as many "air assist" forks then. They are common now though.

Good luck.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    okay then...are there *any* 29er hoops that can handle a guy my size, or am I barking up the wrong tree on this one?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Yukon shouldn't be a horrible frame to build a decent bike from. If you can get a 25", it may not be that bad, 26" wheels and all. Probably the best budget option available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    well, my LBS is going to get a 24" Giant Yukon in for me to test ride. i may just have to give that one a shot for the time being. if I end up buying it, i'll be sure to post my experiences as I give it a proper beating.

thanks guys...i'll certainly be keeping an eye on the used market for a 24-25" 29er in the meantime.

mtbr member
    maybe consider the 22.5" karate monkey. doubt you'll pull it off for less than a grand with custom wheels though.

a very special k-monkey that wont be ridden on trail

I'm liking the looks of the 2008 specialized stumpy 29er which comes in XL, but am going to try the monkey out first with a handbuilt wheelset. I'm 6'4 280lbs

mtbr member
    May 2007
    you're a giant SOB. i'm 6'7" 285 and have a 24" Yukon. I love mine.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by giant_kyle
    you're a giant SOB. i'm 6'7" 285 and have a 24" Yukon. I love mine.
    Shouldn't the "g" in "giant" be capitalized......

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, I saw the phrase "built like a coke machine" in another thread...seems to apply pretty well to me. Sometimes it's helpful, ie I used to work as artist/concert security and found it quite easy to pick people up by the rear belt loops and toss them through doors. However, now that I'm 9-5'in it with a proper desk job and looking for some after-work stress relief, it kind of gets in the way.

I did take a look at the Karate Monkey, but I'd hate to spend a bunch of money only to find that the XL size just really doesn't cut it.

Can't wait to get myself back down to fightin' weight!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Welp...ended up with a 24" Giant Yukon for the time being. I took it for a spin, spent some time with a friendly guy at the shop, and decided it was a good enough fit. Not perfect probably, but good enough to get riding again (and start saving $$$ for something a little nicer down the road). I appreciate all of the insight you guys offered, and will start collecting info on custom frame builders who are worth their salt in the clyde category.

Thanks!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Well done.