Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

6" travel frame for Clydes ?

I am looking to build up a trail bike w/ about 6" of air sprung travel. I was set on a SC Nomad until I demo'd one. I weigh 210 and had about 250 psi in the rear shock (Float R) and still was @ the tall end of 20mm of shock sag. Looking more for a frame that has a heavier rider frame leverage ratio. SC tech told me riders over 210 should consider a coil on a Nomad. Multi-pivot suggestions ? Thanx

mtbr member

yeti 575 or asx

Look at the Yeti ASX can be built dh or xc

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I know you'll want to laugh but... I got a Raleigh Ram XT 2500 frame on Ebay 2 weeks ago and let me tell you..... It kicks azz! I got it to replace my Stinky as a more do it all type bike and it's perfect for big guys!

It outshines my Stinky in every level so far. It rides much lighter, and peddles much better. It has a 1.5 headtube and comes with the reducer cups. I'd give this bike a 10 out of 10 if I had to rate it as of now. I took it on a epic XC ride the other day and couldn't believe how well it rode on the trail. It climbs great for a 6 inch travel bike. I have a 66 upfront with 170mm travel. The only thing I would consider doing is lowering the travel to 150mm on my 66 for better climbing but it does ok even at 7 inches.

Oh and by the way.... It's only $399.00 for the frame. Comes with a Manitou Swinger 4 way rear shock. Adjustable travel from 6 to 7 inches in back.Coil version and has a 550 lb spring. I weigh 230lbs and it's the perfect spring size for me.

Here's the link to ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2005-Raleigh...QQcmdZViewItem

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Intense 6.6
    Ironhorse MK
    Giant Reign

I know the reign has like a 3:1 leverage ratio which will stink, do not know about the other two. The new treks will have split pivot which may be of interest. Why are you not considering faux bar or single pivot. The Heckler, Transiton covert, and like the like would be nice choices.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Have a look at the Haro Xeon. I weigh lots yet only need 110psi in the shock to get the 12mm of sag needed. The shock on it is a Rockshox Pearl which is huge compared to most air shocks. This shock has a maximum pressure of 250psi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanx for the responses. Nice Ram Anything I get will be a light trail build size XL only as I am 6'4". Un-interupted seat tubes are a must.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by saba
    Look at the Yeti ASX can be built dh or xc
    I just got back from a 3 hour (hmmm, aggressive XC?) ride on my AS-X. It pedals OK uphill, as long as you have a gear that is low enough and going down the hills is great. Mine is in the 7" position but in 6" mode it would be more firm at the beginning of the stroke.

issues:
    - comes stock with a good coil shock. You can change it or just go with the coil and get a 550 or 600 spring on it.
    - geometry: the angles are pretty slack. For climbing, you need to be able to dial your fork down to 5" or even less.

edit:
    You are in the middle of the rider height scale that Yeti recommends for the Large. I'm in the middle of the scale for Medium and a 60mm stem feels a bit downhill oriented. So does the 170mm to 130 mm fork. A little shorter would be even better for general trails riding.
    I think the Large comes with a 500 spring which migh or might not be on the soft side for your (and my) size.
    Last edited by perttime; 08-27-2007 at 01:28 AM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Reign is a 3:1 ratio, but for some reason, that doesn't translate into super high air pressure in my Swinger Air. I currently weigh in the 270's, but was at 299lbs in early June and have never needed to run more than 190psi. Conversely, I used to run 280psi to 300psi in my old Super V in a Swinger Air with an almost identical leverage ratio.

The Reign is a great ride for us "bigs".

Double-metric mtb man
    Coil sems to be the preferred way to go for bigger riders, but for 6" travel frames, the list I was looking at were:

SC Nomad
    Intense 6.6
    Giant Reign
    Rocky Mountain Slayer / Slayer SXC
    Turner RFX and
    Banshee Rune

I'm 6' and 235 + gear.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Giant Reign for the price or Turner RFX. IMO Intense are just overpriced.

mtbr member
    Kona Coiler or Coilair.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Other Options : Ventana El Terremoto 6.0 is a sweet 6" travel frame that some are using the Fox RP23 air shock with excellent results !

Knolly Endorphin will be available soon which has 5.5" rear travel and could be one of the sweetest 26" wheeled trail bike frames ever for us bigger peeps ! TIG.

Hmmmmm
    Mountain Cycle's San Andreas DNA is a very rigid frame that works well for heavier riders.
    I second the opinion that a coil shock, with some kind of pedaling platform, is the way to go, unless the leverage ratio is kept down to about 2.5 to 1, I wouldn't go with an air shock.
    Most bikes in that travel range are closer to 3 to 1 though.
    A Mountain Cycle Fury is also a good choice, but only has 5" travel.
    The Fury has what could be described as an over built frame and a leverage ratio close to 2.5 to 1.
    The Fury is also more rigid than a Heckler.

Later, Eric.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Making fat cool since '71
    I ride a Turner 6 Pack/RFX (I'm 255-ish); '06. They have a 3:1 ratio. While it (and other Turner bikes are great) I wouldn't suggest an air shock for big guys, but you are light for a big guy so an RP 23 could do well for you, especially on the '07+ RFX's. They have a bit lower ratio.

Foes makes a good 5-6" bike that is 2:1. It comes with their Curnutt (coil) though if you have to have air...

Intense bikes are baddAzz. They are only a hundred to two hundred more than Turners, sometimes less depending on dealer/sales.

Yeti has been good to big guys as well.

Giant makes one of the better "inexpensive" trailbikes for clydes. At your weight you have options many of us don't: on the proper bike you can run air with no worries and get a plush ride. Just avoid the Fox DHX air on high leverage ratio bikes (ratios above 2:1). The new ('08) DHX coils are much nicer than the '07's IMHO.

Good luck.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

CEO Product Failure

Listen! Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrailfreak
    Uh, how do you shift, er, where's the drive train? No der hanger, no chain, no rear deraillur...

Lotsa good designs out there, though being a clydesdale I'd either stay coil sprung, the DHX 5.0 is my personal fav or at the very least if you go air, get it set up by the pro's-Like Push, not the LBS or advice from some nameless shmuck online...go to the pro's.

Ultra Ventanaphile

Second Ventana..

El Terremoto 6.0

6" Travel, Air shock and lower than 3:1 Ratio.

This is my La Bruja, the Terremoto's predecessor. 6" travel, Air front and Rear.
    That's a Manitou Swinger 3 Way. I only use 160psi in the main chamber and 65psi in the SPV valve to Set sag right for my 230# + gear correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member

Making fat cool since '71

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    , though being a clydesdale I'd either stay coil sprung, the DHX 5.0 is my personal fav or at the very least if you go air, get it set up by the pro's-Like Push, not the LBS or advice from some nameless shmuck online...go to the pro's.
    I'm not sure your experiences with the LBS's in your area, but there are good shops to be found (all it takes is a bit of maddening trial and error or a chunk of luck). Just a thought though. The shock I lust after is the Avalanche Chubby (with Ti spring), but the best shock I can *afford* is the '08 DHX coil. The guys at Push know their stuff to be sure though. If you have the tools/knowledge you can get the small parts from Push and do the work yourself. That's yet another thought...

Brock...
    Last edited by ImaKlyde; 08-30-2007 at 09:45 PM.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

PULL
    Foes, 2:1 leverage ratio will work way better than 3:1. Lighter spring, easier on the damper, better performance for the big fellas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    Uh, how do you shift, er, where's the drive train? No der hanger, no chain, no rear deraillur... .
    That was a picture I took of it before I got it built all the way. When I purchased it, it came with no Hanger for the derailleur so I had to wait for one to come in. I've had it now for 3 weeks and can tell you, it shifts great now!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ventana!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrailfreak
    Here's the link to ebay...
    Great seller, have used...

Chillin the Most
    Or you could have your own 2:1 Custom bike built, that's what I'm working on with SWD racing. Gonna be schweet.

If your looking for a 6" bike and your a clyde, the one thing you need to be concerned with is the leverage ratio. Any bike with 6" and a 2.5" strok shock or better should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    Or you could have your own 2:1 Custom bike built, that's what I'm working on with SWD racing. Gonna be schweet.

If your looking for a 6" bike and your a clyde, the one thing you need to be concerned with is the leverage ratio. Any bike with 6" and a 2.5" strok shock or better should be fine.
    The Nomad runs an 8.5 x 2.5 for 6.5" of travel. I had to run 250psi to get the max sag numbers ?

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    The Nomad runs an 8.5 x 2.5 for 6.5" of travel. I had to run 250psi to get the max sag numbers ?
    And it rode like crap I bet because with that much air it starts to over power the damper.

Look at a foes, you will not be sorry with that leverage ratio of being able to run a lighter spring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast