mtbr member
    Oct 2007

6.6 feet tall / 183 pounds heavy ==> XXL (24") or XL (22")

6.6 feet tall / 183 pounds heavy ==> XXL (24") or XL (22") Turner Spot pro's and con's. Any tall person around to advice?

Just joined the Singapore bike hash and have been biking a few times on a borrowed bike. Want to buy a good robust bike that fits to a 6.6 feet / 1.99 m tall guy weighting 183 pounds / 83 kg. My local bike shop only sells XXL frames of the brand of Turner and the Spot seems to be the obvious choice for a tall guy like me, as they recommend XXL for people above 6.5 feet tall. But now I heard from people in my surroundings that you shouldn't buy too big a bike as it is less easy to handle, and that is easier to make a small bike big than a big bike small. As there is no way to try such large bikes in Singapore I would like some advice.

And then there is also something like 29' bikes ... As for Turner they sell the XXL Sultan frame for people above 6.5 feet

just along for the ride
    Depends on your needs and the trails you ride, I'm 6'4" riding a 19 inch frame but it does have a long seat post and 150 mm stem. I like the smaller frame for the type of riding I do, tight switchbacks and rocky drops. If I was doing more XC type riding I run my 23" XC bike.

willtsmith_nwi
    Consider the Sultan. At your size, 26" wheels will look ridiculous on such a large bike. At 6'6" you have a proportionally shorter torso, you should be on a XXL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ride a XXL 5 spot, 6' 7" with a long torso, Great fit with a 100mm stem. If your longer in the legs, I might try the XL.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" and I ride a 22" hardtail for xc. Seems fine to me.

mtbr member

My Experince.....

Get the the XXL! don't listen to all those riders that say " I'm two sizes too big for my rig and it works just fine". It doesn't; they just have never been on a bike that fits.

I was in much the same position two years ago. I had ridden the largest size available in a number of top brands ( all with extreme seat posts and stem extensions). Although I am only 6'3" the idea is the same. I picked the Turner Spot XL as the best for me and have been super happy ever since!

As the frame gets larger the wheel base changes too ( I think about 2" difference between XL and XXL- check the web site). This is even more important to the ride than seat height and stem. A tall rider is way up in the air and a too short wheelbase makes for endos, bad handling and crashes. Get the bike fit for you and you will smile forever more!

GET the XXL and your riding will improve, you will enjoy it more and you will wonder how you lived with out it!

Get my point? It makes a really big difference.

mtbr member
    they just have never been on a bike that fits.
    No, I've just realized that fit is one of many factors that you need to consider when buying a mountain bike. A bike that is too large will be difficult to jump off, run with, and then jump back on. My mountain bike is hard enough to swing a leg over, and its slightly smaller than my road bike size. My road bike is a 61cm, my mountain bike is a 22 inch or 56 cm. It feels huge.

mtbr member

The dudes 6 '6" !!!!!!

And you are worrying about the bike being too big? Show me a frame maker that makes a XXXL or XXXXL then we worry about getting a frame too big!

29 some of the time...
    I have a riding bud who is 6'5" with an XXL Spot. He runs a 70mm stem and it fits great. At 6'3" I can ride his bike, but it is a bit much for me. At any rate, I have been trying to talk him into the 29er gig. He has an RFX, so the difference between sultan and 5-spot is minimal other that the aesthetics and 29er advantage for bigger guys. The xxl spots look kind of disproportionate and IMO the chainstays are too short for such a large frame. I believe that 29'ers and people over 6' tall just make more sense. Only arena that I deviate from that is in the FR/DH/dirt jump where the stronger/smaller wheels are a necessity.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.