banned
    Dec 2012

6' 1" at 250+ lbs. - recommend a strong bike for me

Hey guys,

My Blackcombs been giving me some trouble lately and I'm looking for a larger and more stronger steed.

Any recommendations?

Stats:

• 6' 1"
    • 250 - 290 lbs. (depending on the season)
    • Strong lower body
    • Looking for extremely strong pedals/cranks that can withstand my force

I want to spend less than $600 and am looking for something that can handle my weight.

Thanks guys,

legking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    im about your weight and height and love me some steel. I build up an el mariachi for a little bit more than what your looking to spend but you should be able to find a steel frame bike for $600. I got a single speed se stout for 250 a few years ago. I loved that bike but dont ride it much because i prefer to the ride of my el mariachi. sorry i cant think of anything more specific right now.

edit: you might be able to pick up a nice frame and just transfer over your parts for 600 bucks you would have a nice bike you could upgrade as things brake.

mtbr member
    Redline Monocog

Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    I know that Speclized Al frams are rated to 300lbs, Rockhopper or Hardrock frame should work. CrMoly frames are strong as well, there was a guy selling this;

Soma Juice 29er frame, 650B 27.5 wheelset and tires - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

it seems like a stout frame for about $200.

You might want to save a bit more money and look on Ebay for an AM bike as well. I have seen a few for about $1k

Good luck.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Check out a used KHS XC104 or 204. I picked up a used 2007 model a few years ago and it has no problems hauling my 275 lb butt...even getting a little air.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    all but the most race focused "real" (not big box stores) mountain frames and forks will hold you with no issues. the wheels in that price point shouldnt be too bad either. the issue you'll have is with the drive train...pounding through the gears under power will tear things up! i maintain several bikes for friends that i suckered into our sport and i find that my one clyed buddy kills chain rings like its his job! look on your local craigslist and pick up an older model with a better drive train...they are out there, just dont go back too far. a nice 2006 up from any of the larger bike companys will serve you well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pugsley, used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redcarguy View Post
    the issue you'll have is with the drive train...pounding through the gears under power will tear things up! i maintain several bikes for friends that i suckered into our sport and i find that my one clyed buddy kills chain rings like its his job!
    No. It is bad technique that kills drivetrains. Given the strengths those things are manufactured to, it is bad pedalling, poor gear changing and other abuse that kills them. Being strong / heavy does not destroy drivetrains.