mtbr member
    Aug 2005

5th element spring weights

What's up all....

So, I'm starting to get into a FS mode. (Or gearitis!) and am looking at a couple of used Heckler/buulit's. They seem to have the progressive 5th element for a coil shock.

I called progressive and when I gave them my weight (6'2" 350lbs) they told me the max spring was a 450.

That seems too low for me but they didn't have anything on file. They used it as a guide IF a 225 should use a 350 spring.

What do you think? I don't want to invest in a frame and not use it and I can't afford to spend big money replacing the shock.

Thanks..

Est. 1971
    Jan 2004
    According to a friend of mine, Progressive isn't making the 5th Element anymore for MTB. I haven't seem any MTB stuff on there website in a while either.

Do a search on www.bestbikebuys.com and you'll find some additional and heavier springs. I tihnk I saw 500 lbs and up. Hope that helps

Are you talking to me?

I doubt it.

I weigh 235, ride a Gemini in the 6" mode, and use a 550 on a 2.25" stroke shock.

Progressive is no longer making shocks, but that ARE servicing them. It is a HUGE company that is focusing on the MC market.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the rreply's

I tknew that 450 would be too light. One of my buddy's that work in a shop mentioned that Romic makes custom springs. I'm going to give them a call and see If they will and how much? If it's too expensive I'm going to look for something else..

Are you talking to me?

Hold the phone.

Progressive springs are cheap.

ASk them what the stiffest spring for your shock size is, and get that one first. It may work out for you.

Do this before you start talking custom, because you still do not know what weight to get from Romic. (If they make 5th springs)

If 450 is the max, try it first. 5th shocks run way lighter spring rates than Fox shocks do.

I have a 550 on ther 5th, but would run an 800 or so on a Vanilla RC.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Damion,

Where did you get a 550 spring? Progressive told me the heavest they have is a 450.
    And yes it's cheap (Less then $50) it's still money I don't want to spend because it's going to be way to light.

Are you talking to me?

Diff size.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11
    Damion,

Where did you get a 550 spring? Progressive told me the heavest they have is a 450.
    And yes it's cheap (Less then $50) it's still money I don't want to spend because it's going to be way to light.

My shock is a 2.25 stroke.

I understand about the money, but that is the only way to keep from spending more.

What rate are you going to ask for from Romic without knowing what you need? The cost of a custom wind is more that a stock from Progressive, right?
    gfy