silly person
    Dec 2005

48 spokes? Heavy duty pedals.

A friend of mine is looking to build a bike for his friend who weighs 160kg. Total budget will be around $500 australian. It won't be used for offroad use. Most likely bike paths and the worst drop would probably be a kerb.

He wants to use 48 spoke wheels and heavy duty pedals. His reasoning is that the high spoke count will stop the wheel going out of true so they'll be able to get away with rim brakes. He also thinks that normal pedals have a weight limit of 85kg and wouldn't be suitable. He's going to get the wheels built up, put on a battered old hardrock frame and thinks he can do it all for the price specified. I personally think he's overcooking it a bit.

My attitude is that if the DH and FR riders use 36 spoke wheels and happily huck 5ft to flat then surely 36 spokes will be enough. I anticipate that a sturdy XC hardtail with 36 spoke wheel and disc brakes will hold up with relatively minimal maintenance compared to the 48 spoke rim brake. I doubt 48 spokes will stop a rim going out of true much better than 36 spokes will.

I have also never heard of this weight limit on normal pedals. I know some weight weenie pedals have limits, but most pedals used on MTB's would take a 100kg rider dropping 2ft? I'd have thought the forces involved there would be greater.

Anyway, the two options are:
    48 spoke wheels, Old Specialized hardrock frame, rigid forks, rim brakes, unknown drivechain (possibly SS and definitely cheap) or...

Second hand or new non lightweight hardtail. Possibly something fairly ruggedised to get the 36 spoke wheels, discs, and tough fork.

Opinions?

mtbr member
    there are only to companys that i can think of right now that make a 26 inch 48 hole wheel and that is Funn and Halo. both of the i think are way over kill plus there pretty spendy for a budget wheelset. i presonal would have buy a rhino lite wheelset on some xt hubs. you can get them for around 160usd for the wheelset not sure how much that is in australian. there pretty tuff wheels you wouldnt have any problems with them plus there disc ready. i dont think that a high spoke count will fix the wheel going out of true. if you spokes are tensioned properly your wheels sound hold up no problem.

as for pedals have a weight limit i would say yes to some of the light weight pedals but those arent really what big guys are looking for. if you are going to run a platform pedal they i would look for something that has sealed bearings and a cromo axle. the sun ringle zuzu pedals are awesome an have sealed bearings and cromo axles. plus there only 30usd you cant really go wrong with them.