mtbr member
    May 2010

4 broken frames and 1 broken heart

Stats: 6', 245lbs, weekend warrior, even entered a couple races(just for fun category).

I started riding Mar '10 and immediately fell in love with it....but, after breaking 4 frames i'm worried that i will never have a reliable bike that will last me!

I purchased a 2010 Jamis Dakar XC Comp and broke it 3 times within 8 months. the first time Jamis replaced my chainstay with an "upgrade". the 2nd time they replaced the rear shock and chainstay. the 3rd time they gave me an upgraded frame (XCT3) and a Fox rear shock...at that point i was soooo happy that i had a stupid grin on my face for 2 hours.

I just took it back to the LBS today with a cracked chainstay on this new frame...I wont know the verdict until next week sometime.

Now, i realize that i'm not some 145lb XC racer but dang! for the cost of these bikes you would think they would hold my weight. i have read many posts on here and i see there are many riders in the 240ish range. plus, its not like i'm dropping off the roof of my house or anything, i just riding the local neighborhood trails and hitting your average roots/rocks/12" drops/ log obstacles/water crossings etc...

so, i have made the decision to sell enough blood to afford an elitus class MTB such as YETI, Santa Cruz, Transition etc.

here is my question; what do you fellow Clydesdales recommend? I'm even game for getting a DH bike and use it for the trails. With my bad back i feel i need to stick with full-suspension.

sorry for the length but i needed to vent!!!!

mtbr member
    Hardtails work really well for big guys, just dont sit down over everything and your back wont hurt.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    hmmm, i guess i could try a demo hardtail and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm your same size but it sounds like I may ride a bit harder than you usually do....maybe not. I like to do rough rocky downhills, jumps, drops, etc as well as climbing to get to the top first. I also hit Mammoth and Northstar a couple times each summer and regularly do 4-6" drops on the trails there...don't hold back. I have a specialized Enduro Expert and the only thing I've had to replace is my rims. The frame has held up fine for me. I'm not advocating Specialized as much as that class of bikes for you.....Enduro/SX Trail, SC Nomad, Trek Remedy/ Scratch....I guess this week they are calling them All Mountain or Aggressive Trail bikes. But at 245 I feel you'd be fine on one with a decent sturdy build out. Check em' out

mtbr member
    May 2010
    that specialized enduro is nice!

I really would like to stick with a FS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 6'4" 250 and I've got a Specialized Epic Disc from 2003 and I'm looking at switching to a FS 29er.

Here's what I'm considering.

Santa Cruz Tallboy, Niner Jet 9 and Rip 9, Fisher Rumblefish, and Pivot 429. I know there are others, but these are available at my LBSs.

I've ridden the Tallboy and Rumblefish and I prefer the Tallboy for the types of rides I do. From what I've gathered, the Tallboy and Jet 9 can be built more like XC bikes than the others. I still plan to demo the Jet9, Rip9 and Pivot 429 before swiping my card.

I briefly considered a hard tail, but after riding the Tallboy and Rumblefish and then jumping back on my spesh (with a more firm and shorter rear travel suspension), that ain't happenin' for me. I'm switching to a FS 29er.

Enjoy your search and let us know how it goes!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    those are definetly nice choices...after stopping by my lbs today it was suggested that i move to a 29r but i'm also looking at the Yeti ASR7.

I will let ya'll know once i get something...thanks for the input!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Very odd that your Jamis keeps breaking like that. I'm 260+ and ride a Jamis hardtail (Dakota 29er) and it has been rock solid for me. I seem to have bent the axle on my hub today, but my frame is great... Maybe in how your riding it over bumps, jumps and jolts? For serious bumps you should be out of the saddle and using your legs to adsorb most of the impact, even with a rear suspension frame. when you land on your feet and use your legs it puts tension in the frame through the bottom bracket on both downtube and seat tube in the front triangle, which is the strongest parts of the frame. If you are seated over a big bump, that puts a lot of compressive forces on the seat tube that makes the rear suspension work harder and translates more force into the chainstays and seatstays.

Anyway, I'm sure Jamis will make it right for you... though I've never used it, I've heard good things about their customer service.

callipygian rondure
    "A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure."

mtbr member
    Hi, I'm 260lbs/6'5" rider and that's serving me well for trail/Enduro riding:
    Post your SX trails...
    Overdoing It: 31 inch wide bar

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    As a general rule of thumb, if the bike is FS AND says XC in the name, Clydes should stay away. That being said a burly 29er or AM FS bike should last you a good long time. If you go 29er, have your wheels built up with Halo Freedom Rims and you'll roll forever.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm 6'2 and around 245lbs (down 10lbs and hopefully still dropping...) and I recently made my decision on this subject as well. After about 4 months of researching, test rides, etc. I finally narrowed it down to 2 bikes: Trek/GF Rumblefish and Niner RIP9. The Niner RIP9 won me over in the end because of its customization and sturdiness. Initially, the price of the RIP9 worried me, I will just be honest...total it was coming out to be around $4300 (but I've seen some built between $3200-$5500). However, when you look at the price of the Rumblefish, it's really not too much of a difference considering I am getting everything I want with the RIP9 and not having to spend extra money switching out parts after forking over $3000 on the RF. My main concern was the wheels being strong enough to hold my weight and from what many people here on MTBR have said, Stan's Flow ZTR wheels and Hope Pro 2 hubs will be light but strong enough to keep from breaking. I also liked the rear suspension of the RIP9 much more and the option to put a 140mm fork for possible trips to bigger country. Plus, the RIP9 frame felt more sturdy than the RF and was just plain fun to ride. Just my personal opinions, but hope it's at least some help to you. Good luck in your search.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sounds like you were on the wrong type of FS bike. Both Jamis and Fisher have reputations for being easier to break, not sure how well deserved the reps are. Jamis does have beefier bikes than the one you're riding now. You might consider asking them to move you up to a beefier FS Jamis frame...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    6'3 250ish riding a Tallboy and love it. yes with the 29er recommendation, yes with FS, Tallboy, pivot 429, Niner were my top 3. I liked the pivot but loved the TB. If you have back issue than a FS is needed (i fractured t12 15 years ago). Good luck

turtles make me hot
    I weighed 288 when I started riding my Stumpjumper FSR 29er. I rode the 08 for almost two years when I cracked the frame right on the webbing for the rear swingarm pivot. Specialized warranteed the frame with an 09. I've since built new wheels for it and added a 180mm crankset and 11-36 cassette. It works better than ever now. The newer Stumpjumpers with the tapered headsets and improved rear pivot look even more Clyde friendly. At 240, I can't believe you'd hurt one.
    I like turtles

Ow!
    I am not familiar with Jamis models, but they certainly would have a frame strong enough for you. You might discuss with Jamis directly. Most manufacturers will work with the owners when they seem to still be interested in their bikes.

Beyond that, there are a whole bunch of manufacturers/bikes that would be acceptable. If complete bike, then I would focus on what your local dealers carry. They must be able to get something that works for you. And then some of the "elitist" manufacters have build kits (like Santa Cruz). If starting with just a frame, then options are very open. Turner 5-spot, SC Blur LT, Transition whatever, many, many more. And check the MTBR reviews and forums not just for individual models, for the manufacturer in general.

I recommend that you ride a 29er or two before you decide on a 29er. I rented a 29er hardtail (Specialized) a few years ago, and just didn't see much difference from my 26er hardtail.

Oh, and I am 6' 3", 250lbs (was up to 295lbs a few years ago), and have cracked frames. My current bikes are a custom hardtail (light XC), Turner XCE (do all), and Nomad (hard XC, going fast downhill). If I had to do it again, I would buy a Knolly (which I may do if the Turner breaks).

Good luck.

mtbr member
    www.nicolai.net

They are called "Nicoblei" here, which literally meas Nico-lead. Pretty heavy, but very strong. I'm about 6'7" and ride a XXL Nonius CC, which is the most confidence inspiring bike I ever had - and I've had a few... The bike weighs about 30.8lb with a coil sprung Pike and sensible parts. The suspension works superb, very efficient (ca. 5.5" travel, Manitou Swinger Air X3 shock).

Check the Helius AC and AM. They should be even stiffer due to their 4 bar rear suspension design. Best thing is to get yourself an overview and then call them to talk about the ride you want (--> 26/29", Lefty, custom geometry, tapered head tube...).

Sorry for sounding like a sales representative, but I really love their bikes. The only disadvantage is that they are never very light - unless you use superlight parts that kind of contrast the beefy frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Your weight is not the problem. I was at about 250 at one time (220 now).I have only broken one frame in my life and I'm pretty sure that was due to a weld flaw.

Trek, Specialized, Niner, Pivot, etc all have bikes that will hold up to your weight. But I have personal knowledge of broken frames on all but one of those. (The rocks around Austin are known for breaking frames eventually.) At your weight and with a bad back you need to "ride light" - weight out of the saddle for ledges, drops, etc. It's easier on the bike and on you.

mtbr member
    Cracking Jamis chainstays are a known issue. Did it break near the dropout?

Fueled by Tigerblood
    Buy an eriksen, They never break, guaranteed!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    As others have said, there is no reason you can't ride a full suspension bike and it doesn't need to be hugely expensive. There are a lot of us around your weight that ride full suspension bikes with no problems. At the lower price range, check out the Specialized Stumpjumper line. If you want to spend more, I would look at a Turner.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Underskilled
    +1 on FS AM bike. I ride a Niner WFO.

I am a big guy, so proportionally to me it weighs less than my wife's bike.
    Happily sprint on road, xc rides, even raced a few times (JFF), but the key thing is, it is stiff and strong enough to take the force a clyde can produce.

With some of my old frames, when I pedalled hard, the chain would pull the frame across and shift gear.

Get a frame proportional to your weight, but more importantly power.

niner WFO FTW>
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?