Scottish Rogue

3rd Shift Worker in need of ......

A HELL OF A WORK OUT SCHEDULE. I work third shift for a major machine shop in the Houston area. I have a problem with motivation in the morning when I get off of work at 6 am it is just too humid. I would like to ride 5 miles an evening (road) or 2 miles of trails. I am trying to lose 50-75 pounds by January 1st. I am going to surprise my wife with a cruise and I would like to be fit enough to be on the sun deck catching rays rather than being locked in the cabin hiding from the world because I am ashamed of my weight. The closest trail system is Cypresswood off of Collins Park. I eat moderately healthy and am on my feet all night long (10-6). I sleep from 9am to when ever my wife wakes me (sleep apnea is a b*tch). Currently I weigh 285 and would like too get down to 210-235.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated,
    Justin

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    the humidity does suck, but it is great for weight loss. the pounds literally melt away. drink LOTS of water. i grew up out west, now i live in kentucky. gimme dry heat any day of the week. but i think i can do a 1/2 pound a day this summer. i was 275 in feb. now 245. and i don't even ride all that far. but i do ride alot. can't help w advice, but keep it up.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I feel for ya, man. Off shifts suck. Motivation would be a problem for any sane person that time of the day. Not to mention the fact that it may wake you up enough not to get to sleep quickly. My advice/what I am going to do is ride for 10min stop turn around and come back. That gives me a 20min workout. Each time trying to get further, better, faster. That keeps me going. Competing with myself. I have been slacking though, motivation is a bitty. Maybe eat some fruit/carbs or something an hour or so before you get off of work to help give you a boost.

We are in very similar in respect to current weight and goal. Maybe we can help each other out. I am 6'1 or so and 275. I plan on gaining a little muscle and ending up at about 230 and 12-15% bodyfat.

Not my business but I know my wife would kick my ass if I planned a "bikini" vacation and didn't give her proper warning. Maybe yours is where she needs to be or so you think but she may feel differently. Maybe mention a weekend at the shore or something and then surprise her with the real deal?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    good advice

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think your best bet will be to choose a time of day for riding, and try to stick with it.

Maybe you need to get a little more systematic about when you wake up in the afternoon/evening so you can get the ride in and they shower to start your day.

I used to find it hard to workout right after I got up, but once I got in the habit, I found it was a great way to start a day.