mtbr member

38" riding shorts that actually fit?

Alright, I'm not small by any means. Especially my legs. I've had great success with Sombrio's, but since they're questionable right now, I'd like to know what else is out there for us big guys.
    I had Azonics for a couple years. But when I bought my second pair (size 38) in the same model and size, I couldn't even get them past my knees. Wtf happened to the way they sized them? I've used Sombrio Pinners for the past couple years and the fit great. But I really don't want to get into the buy/return thing. Fwiw, the "lose some weight" thing doesn't work for me. From 190(20 years ago) to 280lb and now back down to 255, I've always been a 38 waist.

I'm looking for baggy shorts without padding. DH shorts more or less.

Thanks in advance! Fahn

mtbr member
    Fox Rangers have a removable liner.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400067__400067

mtbr member
    If you want unpadded shorts...why look at bike specific stuff? Anything branded for use in cycling is going to cost you 25%-50% more just because. Just grab some board shorts and be done with it. My favorite riding shorts are Champion brand that I bought at Costco for like $15. The fit is awesome for riding. Loose enough to be comfy, tight enough to not get in the way. I'm have about a 40" waist and my legs aren't skinny at 28" around at the thigh.

mtbr member
    Hell I just wear gym/basketball shorts. I have padded mtb shorts now as I've lost enough weight they are comfy. But more often then not simple $10 gym shorts from WalMart, just not the ultra baggy ones.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

^ Last two posts nailed it. For most of my riding life i used padded riding shorts as underwear with board shorts as the outer. Screw paying for the brand name crap.

Last couple years i have been just using the riding shorts. Comfortable, cooler, nothing gets caught on my seat when im shifting around, and most of all i stopped giving a damn what others might think.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you don't mind spending the money ($80-$90), you can try the TLD moto shorts. They are heavy and tend to be hot.

Another option is REI Sahara shorts. I have 3 pairs and love them. Very light and dries fast. They are on sale for $22 a pair. They go all the way up to 3XL. I'm 6'2 225-230. I use the XL, and have used them with bibs underneath. If I were to use them only for riding, I might go up to 2XL.

REI Sahara Cargo Shorts - Men's at REI.com

mtbr member
    I have the pant versions of those...I love them. I'd imagine they'd make pretty good biking shorts. Great thing is...wear them out within a year...take them back for replacement.

mtbr member
    I wear a pair of pearl Izumi tight road bike shorts underneath some hiking shorts. The tights keep my junk from bouncing and the hiking shorts give me the pockets. Tried most baggy brands and nothing fits my thighs right.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Mavic Notch Shorts…..light, yet very durable…..fit is really large, baggy and long. I'm a 34 and fit medium. Purchased a second pair in large since they were on sale and they are too big. They come with a liner, but I upgrade to a different one.
    Mavic Notch Shorts Set | Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I wear the Nike acg shorts over top. They're lite, they dry fast, and aren't real baggy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Big Man Outlaw Bullet Cycling Mountain Bike Short | Aero Tech Designs

These are my favorite after trying many. Im a 38 and use the XL. The legs fit great, waist is adjustable, and padding excellent.
    "save a plant, eat an animal"