mtbr member
    Oct 2010

New question here. 360lb'r looking for a REAR Shock help...

Thinking of a KHS xct 555 (5" travel) with a Rock Shox Monarch 3.1

I am 360lb with gear... any ideas on how to get a shock working for me? Different shock, internal cartridge/can upgrades available etc....

Any advice - other than lose weight which I am working on....

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm not super knowledgeable about shocks, but my initial advice would be to look for something with a coil spring that can be replaced. That way you can get a heavy duty spring to handle your weight. Not sure how much psi that KHS shock can handle, but I'm at the top 2/3 on my air shock and I only weight 225 with gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks Tiller.... You have any sources?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Have you contacted rock shox yet to see what they say? I would email them and see what a recommendation is from them, the monarch might be ok. It's a middle level shock at the least.
    Last edited by moose07; 10-18-2010 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you are looking for a full suspension bike at your size, be sure that it has a reasonabley low Leverage Ratio. Leverage ratio is the travel of the frame divided by the travel of the shock. Big guys will hurt shocks in frames with high leverage ratios.

I'm not sure you have to completely dismiss air shocks. Some of them, like the Fox DHX pictured below, are designed to be pretty heavy duty. Air has the advantage of allowing you to adjust to the optimal spring-rate, without having to buy a new spring. This might be handy as you loose weight. You might post over on the Shock & Suspension forum or talk to someone at Fox or Push or Hippie tech.

Edit: +1 to contacting Rock Shox first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks tenbsmith! I will be seeing what my options are from them

mtbr member
    Get something with a coil. Might I suggest the 07-up Santa Cruz Bullit with the Fox DHX 5.0. This bike is burly as hell and with the right tires, can be ridden anywhere.

Im tipping in about 260 right now was 320 with gear. If anything, look for a bike that has a good warrenty. Had a Haro and cracked it and they replace it with a small frame, cause the frame size I had was going to be 3 months for them to replace. NO FRAME, NO RIDE....

Members who have read this thread: 0