mtbr member
    Jul 2009

360# Biker needs advice on tires

Hey all,

Several months ago I purchased a Kona Hoss with the intent to take up riding again in an effort to lose weight and get outside more. I rode quite a lot 20+ years ago but got out of the habit after I graduated from College.

I have had a problem since the first day I purchased the bike. Every time I ride it I end up with a flat tire. I filled the tires with the hole sealant but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I realize flat tires are a part of biking but I getting a flat within 10 minutes of starting my ride every time is frustrating.

The constant flat tires have become an excuse not to ride and I am tired of that excuse (even if it is to myself).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to alleviate this problem or am I pretty much destined to lose a bunch of weight before I start riding?

And advice you can give me would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

mtbr member
    What kind of terrain are you riding on? Are they pinch flats? Make sure the tire pressure is on the high side of whatever the max is on your tires. Also, check carefully the wheel to make sure there are no sharp edges or anything that could be causing the flats. Is it the same tire every time? Are there any punctures in the actual tire or just the tube? There is something going on because even though your a big guy at 360# you shouldn't be flatting every time out in such a quick time. I am a bit over 300# and ride some pretty nasty stuff and have yet to have a flat...knock on wood.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the same issue and I tried the slime sealant, but that just seemed to be more trouble than it's worth. I then got some 26x2.5" Maxxis hookworms, and I run them over 60psi on every ride! I was having constant flats before moving to a wider tire...I just got home from another ride, and I think that is my 10th ride on this tube! KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

My $0.02,

Tessai

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    couple things..

Are you patching the holes well?

What PSI are your tires running on, is it low or high? (low means mushy tires, great for traction but its easy for the rim to pinch the tire flat when the tire hits an obstacle, high means less wheel touches the road, but chances are slim of it pinching flat) The maximum PSI for your tire should be written on its side-wall, along with the tire brand and dimensions.. take a look, and if you dont have a pump with a PSI gauge, this could be a good excuse to get one (it was for me).

And, importantly.. I had a buddy who was destroying tube after tube in rapid succession like you, who said that after he took his bike to the shop they found a thorn INSIDE his tire, that was permanently embedded in the rubber. Take off your tire and slowly do an inside check with a flashlight and your hand, to see if there isnt some object protruding and causing these flats thats stuck inside the tire.
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tessai4
    I have the same issue and I tried the slime sealant, but that just seemed to be more trouble than it's worth. I then got some 26x2.5" Maxxis hookworms, and I run them over 60psi on every ride! I was having constant flats before moving to a wider tire...I just got home from another ride, and I think that is my 10th ride on this tube! KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

My $0.02,

Tessai
    Second the 2.5 hookworms for hardpack and commuter type riding. If you are just riding trails you should try skinny (2.35) dual ply downhill tires with heavy duty (not thorn resistant) tubes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yep - I had this problem (I'm not quite 300lbs) and switching to heavy duty tubes (Labeled as DH Tubes) eliminated the issue. All of the suggestions here will likely get you on the right road.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Try thorn proof tubes at max psi. Mine hold up great.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by tessai4

My $0.02,

Tessai
    Thanks from me for that tip! I am having an issue with the cords coming through the sidewall at the bead on my commuter (Giant Sedona) and was wondering how the tires are for sidewall strength and durability at the bead. I think I will e mail Maxis and see what the recommend...I have already emailed Schwalbe for their thoughts...

Thanks again!
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 09-17-2009 at 08:05 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!