Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

340# on Trek 820 steel needs affordable Suntour M-2025 fork options...

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Rmplstlskn 
#1 ·
Been into MTB for a long time, my main retro ride is a Panasonic Mountain Cat 7500 with Deore XT group I bought new in 1988, but that bike is too nice and sentimental value to use as a COMMUTER bike at a college I work at (get stolen). So I am a good mechanic, can do my own work less special tools, just not up on the latest gear for fat butts like myself...

Found a 2009-era Trek 820 cro-mo steel MTB to use as a commuter. Frame handles my 340# OK, although I can flex it good when getting on it uphill, but I am compressing the heck out of these entry-level Suntour M-2025 suspension forks... I need to make this better.

As a cheap commuter, air suspension shocks are too expensive and spring can't handle my weight from what I read, and my experiences with the Suntours, so should I go rigid with a Surly?

What should I look for on ebay used in suspension? So many forks... So many specs... So many for NORMAL sized riders...

Or just ditch suspension and spend the $60 or so for rigids?

Thanks for the advice in advance! :thumbsup:

Rmpl

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, from my research here and elsewhere, going to a rigid fork is the best and cheapest option...

Will wear off the knobbies or wait for dry rot on the good tires that came with it, then go to semi-slicks...

Rmpl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.