Pro-Am Pot Stirrer

Cool-blue Rhythm 32 spokes on the rear wheel?

Aloha,

I just picked up a bargain '07 d440 frame and a number of parts as well as 2 pairs of wheels. I'm getting back on he saddle after a 5 year hiatus (before which I rode an Amsterdam city bike and was a little lighter )

The concern I have is with the wheel-sets. They are as follows:
    Set 1-
    Front: REAL hub, 32 15g spokes with alloy nipples, WTB Dual Duty XC rim
    Rear: SPOT hub, 32 15g spokes with alloy nipples, WTB Dual Duty XC rim

Set 2-
    Front/Back: SHIMANO LX M585, 32 straight spokes (unknown), Sun CR-18 rim

As a "superultraomgwowClyde" at 355lbs, I'm worried about the spoke count on teh rear wheels. I will be riding paved cycle paths to get started and may venture out into hardpacked dirt trails, nothing technical nothing with obstacles no jumps (yet )

What are the chances that the rear wheels will hold up assuming they are checked for proper spoke tension and trued first out ?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    shoudl be good. Most Bontrager factory wheels are 28 spokes and they have no weight limits

Former Bike Wrench
    I wouldn't consider either "stout"...if set 2 has 14ga or 14/15ga spokes I would go that route between the two.

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I wouldn't consider either "stout"...if set 2 has 14ga or 14/15ga spokes I would go that route between the two.
    +1
    Those are both pretty weak rim choices. 32h wheels are fine even for super-ultra-megaclydes. I wouldn't recommend dh racing on the wheels in question, but riding within reason is fine. Just keep an eye on the spokes.

I would personally start saving for something like the XT, 14g, brass nipple, rhynolite rim wheelsets that Jenson sells for about $150. Much more durable for a bigger rider.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    36h is obviously preferable for a strong 29er wheel but a 32 will do just fine... for a while...

idealy you would want a hand built 36h wheel... but thats costly...

you have a few options... ride it... you've got 2 wheelsets so if one needs work you have the other to ride in the mean time... you may want to buy a truing stand and learn to true/tension your wheels

you could sell em... buy or build something stronger

how much you get the frame for BTW?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Pro-Am Pot Stirrer
    I very much appreciate all the responses I'll be hitting the cycle path as soon as all the bits and bobs are in and the baby is assembled and checked.

@Donalson: frame was just short of a C-note.
    Last edited by chakujitsu; 07-04-2009 at 12:05 PM.