mtbr member
    Jun 2011

310 lbs &6'2" which bike?

I'm an American guy living in France just outside of Paris & need a good bike that won't break. When I first moved here I bought a Decathlon B'Twin that held up reasonably well until another guy riding a bike crashed into me & broke my frame. Decathlon replaced my bike with a Tribane & the rims were no match for my weight. I was still riding my bike but the back wheel was so warped that I couldn't even use the back brakes until one day going down a hill the chain broke. I want to get back into riding & lose some weight. I used to ride bmx as a kid and I was into catching air, doing bunny hops and generally up for any challenge, so I want something that'll stand up to some heavy abuse. I'm thinking a hardtail 29er in the 800€uro range..Which bikes should I be considering?

mtbr member
    Test ride as many as you can and pick the one that;
    1) fits best. If you are not comfortable on your bike you won't ride it.
    2) has a good warranty. Specialized, Cannondale, Trek and maybe Giant have lifetime warranties on there bikes for the original purchaser. Some others might as well. Also make sure the warranty does not have a weight limit.
    and
    3) come from a shop you like and trust. Find tha a shop that takes customer service very seriously and has guys that don't mind answering newbie questions. A lot of shops offer free tune-ups for a year and stuff like that.

Beyond that I would say;
    buy in the next couple of months because 2012 models are on the way and 2011 stuff will go at a substantial discount. You may even haggle them down further or get free/dicounted stuff.
    Max out your budget. Spend as much as you can without starving because us big guys need quality gear.

Good luck big man.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all the advice! I think that finding a frame without a weight limit could be harder here in France, but we'll see. I was in a small bike shop in Souillac, France recently that had mostly Giant Mountain Bikes & the guy working there told me that I was over the weight limit by around 40kg! Also,I checked out the Specialized website & I'm definitely over the weight limit for carbon frames but maybe they carry a steel or aluminum frame that would be still under warranty at my weight...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A good manufacturer will stand behind their frames even if you are over 300.

Trek has warrantied 2 frames in the last 6 years for me without questioning my weight. I was about 325 at the time of the most recent swap. More 6 years ago for the first swap.

You will need to learn to tweak and true your rims. Untill you spend some money to upgrade from stock rims, you should check your rims after each ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Try a steel 29er hardtail. Steel frames are typically more durable and easier to repair that aluminum frames. A Surly Karate Monkey or a Singular Swift (UK) are great choices, relatively inexpensive (< $500) with excellent durability. Get a strong set of wheels built up and mid-range components and you should get close to your price range.
    I don't know about the availabilty of steel hardtails in France, but I often see articles originating in the UK highlighting steel hardtails. I think the Singular Swift, which is a really fine frame, is built in the UK.

Good luck
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off