mtbr member
    Apr 2012

31.6Ømm seatpost clamp; for the actual post not the frame

Gents, I am on a quest to find a 31.6Ømm seatpost clamp; a clamp for the actual post not one that goes around the frame, eg the 34.9Ømm one.

Something like: http://stradasystems.com/mtb/images/seatpostcollar.jpg
    - although this appears to be a mock design rather than a product to purchase.

I need one for a couple of reasons, first to prevent slip (Easton carbon post in aluminium frame) and second is so I can remove the post and reinsert with faffin about.

Does anyone know where I could find one? I feel I have searched the far corners of ye ´ole internet, but alas…

I am not the only one with this issue and I do not want to use carbon gripper paste.

Carbon Seatpost in carbon frame

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    I believe both the examples you posted are not purpose built for what you are trying to do, and I think any normal post clamp would work if it didn't have the lip at the top. Of course most have that lip.
    Campagnolo Post Clamp 31.6mm to 31.9mm - AEBike.com
    comes to mind as a clamp I know does not (because I have one)

Another, cheaper option, which has worked well for me is to use a light or reflector bracket. This secondary clamp isn't really taking much load (the clamp around the frame is doing that).

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Try a Salsa lip lock clamp in 32 mm. You'll need to file off the lip though.Salsa Lip-Lock Seat Collar > Components > Saddles and Seatposts > Seatpost Collars | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi_501 View Post
    I need one for a couple of reasons, first to prevent slip (Easton carbon post in aluminium frame) and second is so I can remove the post and reinsert with faffin about.
    I have had problems at 225 lbs. w/ carbon and aluminum into aluminum. The Syntace SuperLock2 worked for me. Same or less effort than other QR collars. Assuming the design allows for a better fit/good compression with less leverage. No slipping or carbon damage after a couple years of regular abuse.

Good luck

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

seat post clamping ring with socket wrench-double clamping PC-B04

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Cannondale Double Seat Post Clamp Alloy Collar 34 9 31 6mm TI | eBay
    Very nice

h**p colon forward slash forward slash double-ewe double-ewe double-ewe dot xlc-parts dot com (too few posts to share a direct link.)

this string ought to get you to a site with a similar product as the Cannondale clamp: seat post clamping ring with socket wrench-double clamping PC-B04 .

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Why not use carbon paste?

mtbr member
    I'm not an engineer, but I think a clamp right on your post with pose a significant stress riser which may lead to failure of your post. Most seatpost instruction manuals (ie. Thomson) say never to let any part of the clamp directly touch the post.

Try carbon paste and the world's best seat post clamp---Chromag!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for all the responses.

To date I have bought a 31.8mm clamp and filled off the lip and installed it directly on to the post, which then sits on top of the Hope 36.4mm clamp which goes around the frame.

For all those who suggested a double clamp (which is what I had) although the post is a 31.6mm, the frame tube is 36.4mm, thus most of the suggested ones will not fit.

If and when I find a double clamp I will let you know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i think so,the frame tube is 36.4mm, thus most of the suggested ones will not fit.good info,thanks for your sharing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryando View Post
    I'm not an engineer, but I think a clamp right on your post with pose a significant stress riser which may lead to failure of your post. Most seatpost instruction manuals (ie. Thomson) say never to let any part of the clamp directly touch the post.

Try carbon paste and the world's best seat post clamp---Chromag!
    I would look into what he said ^^^^^^^^^^. The last thing you want is a carbon post to fail and a piece of jagged carbon coming into contact with the sensitive male components.