mtbr member
    Aug 2009

300lbs and need advice

Hi
    I really need some advice on where to start looking for a bike that can handle my weight. I don't plan on doing any real radical trails just some light dirt and gravel. I'd need to stay under $1K. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just want to encourage you that there are lots of options. I've been abusing my Cannondale M300 for 12 years (weighing up to 325 pounds) with no problems, other than a chain ring that couldn't take the torque of frequent hill climbing. I've flown through the air off a two foot drop off and landed full force on my front wheel and dragged my back wheel over countless obstacles. Mountain bikes are made to take great stress.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am over the 300 mark too and currently have a Haro V4, I think that they replaced the V series with the flightline though. I can only echo Sequimite's comments though, we have alot of options out there. Take your time and ask lots of questions along the way, someone here has an answer for you!!!

My $0.02,

Tessai4

29 some of the time...
    300lb is really not too bad. Biggest obstacle you will come up against is that if you do actually ride a bit the stock wheels may not hold up too well. Haro, Specialized, Kona, and Giant all have decent trail bikes for $700-1000 that are very capable of your abuse. Personally I like the Rockhopper expert disc model at $1100. I had a 2007 that I abused royally, even raced a DH race series on it. I am currently building up a 2009 model from the frame up on spare parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    AL29er reminded me that the biggest issue for Clydes on mountain bikes is stopping our momentum quickly when necessary. Disk brakes is the one feature I really wish I had on my M300.

mtbr member
    Don't worry about the frame. Most will stand up. Just make sure it has a good warranty incase it does not. Wheels, I'll echo what has been said. They will be the thing to watch out for. Honestly though I am 300 pounds and I have not had a problem with stock wheels yet. Maybe it is the terrain I ride or the way I ride but they hold up. Just FYI, I am riding a Rockhopper Comp. 29er now and at my size it is a delight to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    im over 300 and im on a giant rincon. stock wheels are holding up fine. the only real issue i had was brakes, and a pair of BB7's solved that problem

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks guys that helps a lot.

Fat and Slow
    Aug 2009
    6'1" and 300lbs. just bought a specialized hardrock sport disc. it is my first bike and didnt want to drop a bunch of cash in case i didnt like riding. i spent right at $500 for a closeout 09 model. if i would have been willing to spend $1k, i would have gotten the Rockhopper Expert Disc.

OR, you could get a Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er for a little less.
    09 Hardrock Sport Disc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    For around a grand,I would look into the Kona "Hoss".I've been a big Kona fan for about five years now."They make some seriously tough bikes"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm about 315 right now and started out at 345. I ride a 2005 Giant Yukon. I've had many many troubles with the stock wheels. I replaced them with some rhynolite hoops and dt swiss spokes, still having trouble. Look for a bike that has external bearing bottom bracket too, I destroyed my internal bearing bracket in a couple months. Also, the best upgrade I've put on my bike are BB7's with 203mm rotors front and back. My bike will stop on a dime, its awesome!
    Depending on what your experience level is and how much you think you will ride, I would try to save up and buy a good quality bike that will last you a while. I've been in the process of looking to build a 29er with custom wheels that will hold up. I'm looking at Kris Holm unicycle rims, dt swiss spokes and shimano XT hubs. Should be bulletproof, but will cost about $450. Do you have the skills to build your own bike? Do some research, get some used parts, and you can build up a bulletproof bike for $1000-1500.
    If you are just starting out, don't know how deep you will get into it and are just looking for a some leasure exercise, buy a used bike on the cheap. Pretty much any bike will hold up for awhile and if you buy a good base you can add upgrade parts along the way. You may spend a little more money in the long run, but it will be spread out and you can get what you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wheels and cranks are the likely culprits as a beginner.. As you become a better rider you actually become easier on equipment. Don't let any salesguy discourage you away from any bike you like, almost all bikes can handle your weight.

I would look at a geared haro mary...

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

yep

I have a haro mary xc that I use for commuting and riding up the trails etc. If i put cylo cross tyres on, its really fast on the fire roads

I am a bit old skool and find it a bit "stable and secure" for my xc stuff as it has a lowish center of gravity and low bb, which means it would probably suit a beginer well. My mate did a 50 miler on it with me ( rough mixed route) and thought it was great........he is a bmxer and spent quite a large part of the time on the back wheel

Great value for money with a reba fork................bars were replaced as i didnt like them though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The Mary looks nice but I'm not looking for a 29er and it's a little higher than I wanted to go but thanks.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by iwas
    Thanks guys that helps a lot.
    It is much easier for a Clyde to find a decent Mountain Bike than a decent road bike. Lot's of great advice here already. But from my point of view, be sure to get good, strong wheel sets and good tires.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Get a Surly 1x1=11. 36 spoke wheels, chromoly frame, BB7 disc brakes, big fat tire for a squishy ride. It just need the slicks changed out to a dirt tire and you'd be golden. Plus you won't look like a gorilla on a tiny bike.
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Plus you can find that 1x1=11 on clearance for fairly cheap right now. Oh and it also has a Mr. Whirly crankset on it. Its a single speed set-up but would be fine for light off-roading on a newbie.
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks everyone for all your help. I tried out a few different bikes while we were in Reno and ended up getting a GF Piranha. It just felt like the fit was better for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Kona HOSS

The Hoss has been a great bike for me! I tipped the scales at 330 when I bought it two years ago this month. Finished my ride this morning at 291. No problems.... this is tought **** man... many a time I winced when landing a jump or standing on and cranking hard.. It's been a great ride for me to get back into riding..... I am ready to sell it and move up the "food" chain.