mtbr member

2x10 for a Clyde?

I currently ride a 26" Trek 44/32/22 with an 11-34. Being 6'2" @ 220 lbs, I spend most of my climbing in 22/34 granny. I never use the top gear 44. I'm looking at a new bike in the future, but I'm wondering why the 2x10 front rings only go down to 26. I need that 22 for the steep climbs.

It only gets worse when you start looking at 29ers.

What is available these days for a low granny 2x10 setup?

Underskilled
    I would avoid ten speed.

Chain gets a lot weaker. The 9 speed was cutting it fine and only a few manufacturers could make a strong 9. 10 makes it a lot worse
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    You can always just loose the big ring on a standard crank. That way you'll have your smaller ring. I am going to do a 2x9 on my new bike and that's what I plan to do. Just replace the big ring with a bash guard.

@adelorenzo
    The point of 2x10 is to ditch the granny ring for a narrower crank, lighter weight and better shifting. If you go to the 26T front but up to a 36T in the back (common with most setups) you are not losing much on the low end, a couple of gear inches basically.

But yes, otherwise go with a standard triple and use a bashring if you don't use the big ring. You don't get the benefits of the 2x10 but not a big deal.

Ten speed stuff is plenty strong IME.

I'm Slow
    Yeah I won't say the jump to 10 speed is that great, 9 speed is good and cheaper, and if you need a 22T x 34 gear I wouldn't even think about a sram 2x10. I'd just get a regular 3x10 setup and just drop the big gear for a bash.

Maybe a SLX 36T/22T crank will be good for ya if you are buying parts.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    I would avoid ten speed.

Chain gets a lot weaker. The 9 speed was cutting it fine and only a few manufacturers could make a strong 9. 10 makes it a lot worse
    Completely untrue, 10 speed chains use the same thickness plates and same width rollers as 9 speed chains. They are made to tighter tolerances to make them narrower. They will be no weaker than 9 speed chains and may in fact be stronger due to the tighter tolerances.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone, I guess I was confused. With all the advertising for 20speeds, I thought the world was going that way, seemed to make sense if you never use all the gears on a trail.

I did go from 11-32 to 11-34 cassette to help my granny gear last year. It was a good improvement, I hit some stupid steep climbs on my local trail. One steep section I only made twice out of the hundreds of times I rode that trail.

I wouldn't mind going to 36 with my 22 up front. The 3x10 would get me there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Front deraileurs are the problem! Most only have a 12 tooth range. I would love a 38/22 front, just not gonna happen...

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Im running bash-32-22/11-34 9sp on my 29er and I swap the 32 front ring with a 34 depending on the trail. I could not be happier. I just kept dragging the 44 and never used it, and the bashguard just glides over stuff. For now it's the stock deore 3sp adjusted for only 2 rings, but I keep seeing slx 2x9 set-ups on sale so...
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    I want to do a 2x9 on my new bike...would it be better to use a 2 speed front derailleur or is it not a problem to use a 3 spd and just adjust accordingly? I actually really tempted to try a 1x9 setup as I never find myself off the middle ring now.

Oh Yeah Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I'm actually really tempted to try a 1x9 setup as I never find myself off the middle ring now.
    Well yeah

1x9 at the very least.

1x1 FTW
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Well...I have a frame that I am wanting to build this summer into a 1x1...my diSSent frame. I just need to figure out what all I need for the build, price it out, and start ordering stuff.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've always used a triple front derailleur on 2 x 9 and it has worked just fine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    Im running bash-32-22/11-34 9sp on my 29er and I swap the 32 front ring with a 34 depending on the trail. I could not be happier. I just kept dragging the 44 and never used it, and the bashguard just glides over stuff. For now it's the stock deore 3sp adjusted for only 2 rings, but I keep seeing slx 2x9 set-ups on sale so...
    Yep, running same setup 22/32/bash w/11-34 on my RIP9 with an SLX short cage FD rest is SRAM stuff all cheap 9spd closeout. Run 32x22 on my singlespeed, makes me think about doing the same on the RIP9. 5'6" 230# .

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Can you make a 3position front deore rapid-fire a 2position? I'm about to take the shifter housing apart and see what I can do. Posted a thread in drivetrain on it.

Broken clavicle, so I gots plenty of time.....
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    I'm 265lbs kitted up and running DynaSys XT 10sp stuff for about six months now. This is by far the best gruppo I have ridden to date. It shifts smoothly and quickly under pressure or regular riding.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    Can you make a 3position front deore rapid-fire a 2position? I'm about to take the shifter housing apart and see what I can do. Posted a thread in drivetrain on it.

Broken clavicle, so I gots plenty of time.....
    Set your limit screws to only move the derailleur between 2 gears. No need to take anything apart.

You can either set the granny gear in the 1st or 2nd click and then the next click up will be the middle ring. If you set it on the 1st gear like normal, the 2nd click will get you to the middle ring and then if your front derailleur high limit is properly adjusted you wont be able to get the 3rd click out of the shifter.

If you set it to where the old 2nd gear is on the granny ring then you can use the old 1st gear to trim your front derailleur while in the granny ring. In this mode, the 1st click acts to trim, 2nd click locks onto the granny gear, 3rd click pulls the chain onto the middle ring.

I've known guys who have done wierd setups with their front derailleurs like this but have no personal experience with adding trimming capability onto a mtb front shifter. 1x9 FTW

2x9 and 3x9 use the same front shifter, just adjust the limit screws on your front derailleur so you LIMIT the movement of it and dont drop the chain.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    ^^^^^^ That's been done for a year or so, I'm just bored with this healing crap. The rapid fire will still shift into the unused spot, and causes alot of slack. It's more of an annoyance than an issue, and since I can't ride or work(industrial mech.) I neeeeed to tinker.

Btw the nashbar bashguard, for strength and $, is unbeatable. There are others that look nicer, but function is =. And $25 vs $65 is a new tire vs more bling. Mine is all scraped up now anyhow.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez