Rollin' on 29s!

29er wheelset recs for less than $400?

Well, I taco'd the front wheel on my GF X-Cal the other day (Bontrager SuperStock 29er w/28 spokes). I think a lot of this was my technique (I hit a berm at a glancing angle, rather than head on).

It's gonna cost me about $80 to get my rim replaced and relaced. So, thinking of putting that money towards something that might be a bit stronger. I'm a total noob, so any recommendations for a decent, strong 29er wheelset for say under $300 or $400? I'm not a racer, and don't do anything too extreme like drops. Just want something that will be durable, and not need too much maintenance and truing. If I'm going to go this way, I'll need to know by Tuesday so I can stop the LBS from ordering the parts for wheel fix.

Thanks!

Glad to Be Alive
    bottom line.....you have not been checking your spoke tensions...that is why the rim failed....if you have the spokes coming loose all the time ...ask your mechanic for something that sticks the spokes better...some people even locktite them but you don't need that extreme
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Rollin' on 29s!
    Well, that may very well be. The bike was only 2 weeks old, and the spokes may have needed some tightening by then, I don't know. Or, it may have totally been my technique (or both).

In either case, the rim is hosed, and I have to spend money on something. I'm just trying to figure out if I should spend the $80 to get this rim replaced, and relaced with my existing hub and spokes, or if it would be wiser to put that money towards a "better" wheel set. If I can get something that would be a significant upgrade for another $100-$200 over what I already have to pay to get the existing one fixed, that might make sense.

I guess what you are trying to say is that you think the current setup will be fine as long as I keep an eye on the spoke tension? That would certainly be the cheapest way to get me riding again...

mtbr member
    stay away from those low spoke count wheels for one
    I'd not have your current wheel rebuilt, unless you want it for a lighter duty wheel.

I'm having my LBS order me up some WTB dual duty FR rims so I can build my own clyde worthy wheelset.
    For a clyde on a budget, I'd go with these, or sun rhyno-lite's (these do come in 36 hole for some extra beef) as they are great bang for the buck.

If you want to go custom, check out http://www.lacemine29.com/
    If I had the pesos, I'd have MC build mine up.

Word on the 29er board is the kris holm 29r rim = ultimate bomber rim, as it's a unicycle rim... at over 700g, it better be nearly indestuctable

Bontrager is supposed to be coming out with some heavier duty wheels/rims... these might have a 32 or 36 hole spoke count.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    If you want sturdy and affordable, it's hard to beat these at Cambria:
    http://www.cambriabike.com/Shopexd.a...29/DEORE%20525

I'm 225 lbs and running them on a rigid bike, and they are holding up well.

Rollin' on 29s!
    Wow, those wheels at Cambria are pretty cheap. Don't know about those hubs though...

What about this Sun Ringle Highrider 29'Er Disc Wheelset for $200?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

Those use Sun Rhyno Lite rims, which also seem well regarded. So, it would be an extra $120 over having my wheel rebuilt, but at least I'd then have a spare rear wheel, and I would imaging the Sun wheelset is a bit stronger. Again, the hub might not last too long.

Logbiter, I did contact MC, he seems really helpful. He recommended Rhyno Lite rims 36 spokes, Hope Pro2 hubs, and DT Swiss Competition butted spoke. Price delivered $625. Seems like really good stuff, but sheesh, I really don't want to shell out that much coin after just buying the bike two weeks ago. If I can get a few seasons out of what I got for $80, (or even those Suns for $200), it would give me time to save for a quality build.

mtbr member
    yeah, the hope hubs would be cool, but you get it much cheaper going with anything from deore through xt... MC's flat fee to build wheels is very reasonable.

if you want cheap, what about these? http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Rims-29er.htm
    at that price I'm tempted to order 'em myself. for the price I'll forgive the straight ga. spokes.
    also these http://bike29.com/catalog/handbuilt-...02b332c9e4e452
    Get something like these, and assuming they're machine built (I'm sure they are), have your LBS check the tension (assuming they've got a good wheelbuilder) or DIY after getting them.
    with my freehub buddy & repacking bearings every year or so, I've been keeping all my shimano hubs going strong for many years.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

MTB B'dos
    I'd suggest you visit the 29er forum and do some reading up on that thread you started and then looking around for reviews on 29er rims. If your current hubs are 32 hole, then just buy some better rims and have them relaced to the current hubs. If the hubs are indeed the 28 varient then it could be hard to find a really decent, clyde friendly set for under$400 that don't weigh a tonne. Also try e-mailing Larry@mtnhighcyclery or Chad@redbarn about building you a set for that price, see what they say.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I had wheels built by Mike at Big Wheels http://www.lacemine29.com for about $400 and they are holding up very well. The tension is still perfect after almost 10 months. The wheels are assembled with 36 spoke KH rims, they are a little heavy but worth it as they appear to be indestructible.

MTB B'dos
    What hubs did you use with that build - XT? Sounds pretty burly, should last a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsurprise
    I had wheels built by Mike at Big Wheels http://www.lacemine29.com for about $400 and they are holding up very well. The tension is still perfect after almost 10 months. The wheels are assembled with 36 spoke KH rims, they are a little heavy but worth it as they appear to be indestructible.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The original set was with XT hubs, I latter had another wheel built with a Surly SS hub so I could have an even stronger wheel with a replaceable freewheel. The XT hub with a SS kit started to skip, can't blame the wheel build on that.

President, CEO of Earth
    I used to build my own wheels and, being a big guy, believed it was necessary to adjust the spoke tension to match my weight. I built wheels for others and usually used lower tension on their wheels than on my own.

The wheels I built for my 1997 GT Karakoram finally broke a spoke this summer and they have been in almost constant use for ten years. And I ride hard, but I tend to not leave the ground too much.

Just a thought.

tn
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepro
    Logbiter, I did contact MC, he seems really helpful. He recommended Rhyno Lite rims 36 spokes, Hope Pro2 hubs, and DT Swiss Competition butted spoke. Price delivered $625. Seems like really good stuff, but sheesh, I really don't want to shell out that much coin after just buying the bike two weeks ago. If I can get a few seasons out of what I got for $80, (or even those Suns for $200), it would give me time to save for a quality build.
    I have that EXACT set of wheels and they are almost bombproof. I weigh 255# and bash rocks until they cry for mercy. After 3 months, the front will need a bit of truing, but the rear is still 100% true. Hard to beat.

The WTB DDFR's look nice as well.

What about the classifeds? Any wheelsets there? Also, I know that you can get cheap wheelsets off Ebay (I did a while back) that will last a season . . . might be worth doing while you save for another set. Worked for me.