mtbr member
    Feb 2006

29er tyre choice what do i get

how do you know what type of tyre you need for mtb riding, im on a full ridgid bike so i thought someting like a 2.4 front and back im quite heavy, dont ride in mud much and want some thing that rolls easily.

athletic trainer
    Sep 2009
    I always bounce between Maxxis Kenda Specialized. And Schwalbe web sites. Then check out the reviews. I currently run a set of Maxxis Ignitors. The sidewalls are wearing thin because of the technical terrain I go through. I am in the market for a new set. I am considering Rocket Ron's with snakeskin, anything specialized armadillo, Kenda nevegals, or another set of ignitors. If I didn't go through technical terrain my ignitors would be on there 4th season.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I am a fairly large lad that used to run 2.3" to 2.5" tires on my 26" bikes. I don't find the need to run tires quite that wide on my 29ers. I don't think I have used anything over 2.25" wide. I also don't feel like I need tires that have an aggressive tread pattern like I preferred on 26" wheels.

The tire pressure needed to support my weight (about 260 to 270 recently) is also much less with 29er tires. I NEVER run over 30psi with any 29er MTB tire. Usually run about 25 to 27psi tubeless with 2.2" tires.

Since you are on full rigid, that may be a reason to look for larger volume tires.

The easiest rolling tires I have tried that still have a decent grip on local trails are the Kenda Karma. For a good combo that has very good traction and still rolls well. I like the Specialized 2.2" Captain Control as a rear tire and a 2.2" WTB Wolverine front or Specialized 2.2" Purgatory Control (which rolls a little slower than the Wolverine. I have tried others, but the ones listed are my favorite 29er tires for local (SoCal) conditions.

They make a Purgatory Control in 2.4" width, and WTB makes a 2.5" Weirwolf. I don't think I would run a tire that wide on the rear, but would on the front, especially if I was riding full rigid. Being finicky about running low (but now too low) pressure will make the ride much smoother so it's worth it to be vigilant about staying on top of that situation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Where do you ride?

I'm in Ohio...I like the Maxxis Ardent. I use the 2.4 up front on a rigid bike...

The price is great. the tires wear well and all around traction is very good.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Been loving the 2.4" Purgatory up front. (Didn't like it out back.)

Rear: Captain Control 2.2" or Rampage 2.35"
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    I live in TX and ride here mostly but get out to NM, CO, UT.

I'm a huge fan of the Continetial Mountain King 2.4 up front and the Rampage Rear.
    I'm thru with Kenda. Way too much knob shedding and sidewall punctures, even at the higher pressure.

This set up has proven itself over and over, thru 7 years of testing .