Thread: 29er SS sizing?

never ender

29er SS sizing?

I'm thinking hard about building up a 29er ss this winter, but I'm not too sure about sizing. I'm 6'4" with long legs, so of course I go for XL/21" frames on a 26er, but a lot of 29er frames seem like they run big...I'm thinking I could get away with a 19" or so, especially for SS. 29ers are hard to come by at my local shops, and I don't really have time to go hunting test rides far away, so I gotta do this one by the numbers. I'm currently on a Heckler (25" tt) with a 75mm stem. I live and ride in New England, so maneuverability is key, and long-haul performance isn't really a big deal...I'm inclined to err on the small side and just run really tall bars.

So, any input from fellow tall guys?

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1" and have two 29ers, a L Niner, and an XL Voodoo, which seem to have about the same fit, so I'd say the Voodoo runs a little small in sizing. I like my bikes to be as big as possible, so a L might fit you if you don't mind them on the small side.

dh1
    mtbr member
    Funny, I was wondering the same exact thing. I am 6'2" and normally ride an XL bike with 26 wheels. I am looking at a Cannondale F29 Caffeine and the bike shop was telling me that an XL was too big for me on a 29r. They are urging me to ride a L size.

FWIW, they didn't have an XL in stock...but I rode the L and it felt real good. I also tried a L sized Gary Fisher that felt too small from seat to bars.

mtbr member

I am 6ft 2in and 260 lbs w/o gear and ride...

Quote Originally Posted by fat_weasel
    I'm thinking hard about building up a 29er ss this winter, but I'm not too sure about sizing. I'm 6'4" with long legs, so of course I go for XL/21" frames on a 26er, but a lot of 29er frames seem like they run big...I'm thinking I could get away with a 19" or so, especially for SS. 29ers are hard to come by at my local shops, and I don't really have time to go hunting test rides far away, so I gotta do this one by the numbers. I'm currently on a Heckler (25" tt) with a 75mm stem. I live and ride in New England, so maneuverability is key, and long-haul performance isn't really a big deal...I'm inclined to err on the small side and just run really tall bars.

So, any input from fellow tall guys?
    2 20in 29ers (one is a ss). Some of my 26ers are 19in bikes, but have tt's in the same range as my 20in bikes. I agree that a lot of 29ers run big for no apparent reason (toe overlap?). All things being equal, a smaller frame will be more responsive than a bigger one, especially in tight, Twisty New England singletrack. In my experience, the difference is quite noticable. My rule is I ride the smallest frame that will fit me. Bigger is definately not better here .
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

dh1
    mtbr member
    Hey, I just got back from the LBS because they were able to get hands on a XL Cannondale 29r. So I tested both the L and XL side by side, and I gotta say they actually felt dammm near identical.

I pulled up the specs and the TT on the XL is a mere 1/2 inch longer than the L. I think I am going to spring for the large, perhaps cut the bars down by 2 inches. A stem that has an extra cm in length and slide the seat back one or two cm, and it will have the same fit as the XL with a little bit shorter wheelbase.

Had couple of the techs and the sales manager at the shop discussing me their sizing strategy with the 29, and they are pretty comfortable saying that if you ride a 20-21 inch bike on 26s, then you will be good on a 19" bike with 29s.

I will say that this LBS carries GF and Cannondale, and IMHO the Dale was more responsive and comfortable. I think in the GF I would have to go XL, but then the steering response would be that much slower.

My size again, 6'1.5", 34 inch inseam, long arms.

Now I just gotta convince my wife that I can spend the $$$$ and I will have my new bike.

Chronic 1st-timer
    6'4" & 220.
    Gots me a XL KM & XL Steamroller, both of which fit me quite nicely.
    ...and I always forget my old timey Peug, which is a 58-60cm...a tad small.