Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29er Singlespeed for big boys

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  DylanGalaty 
#1 ·
Hi dudes,
Looking for a 29er S/S, will go rigid i think but i would like the option to add forks one day when I'm really old! ... only 53 now
I'm 6'5" and around 250lb but i have been bigger and would like to be a little smaller.
I don't ride that hard and definitely don't abuse my bikes.
I have plenty of experience on a 26" S/S so i sort of know what I'm in for and i have test ridden a 29 and loved it .. it was geared but i ride it SS.
Any big guys got opinions on what to look at ... LBS has a 20" Mary that seems to get good reviews
All opinions welcome ... yes really :thumbsup:

#5 ·
a few votes for the Surly then, do i buy the frame only then add big boy stuff? Sounds like a plan :)
Will check out the Surly dealer if there is one here in NZ ... gotta be right :)

#6 ·
+1 for the KM I have one and ride it SS. It you have more money to spend I would check out the Ventana El comandante (they have a 24"). They have adj slides now that look very nice too.

You can buy the KM complete for around ~1100. At 6'5" you will probally have to change to a longer/higher stem and may have to change out the wheels as you ride more.

#7 ·
Nice photos supersize very nice indeed
I have e-mailed the NZ agent for Surly ... now to decide on the rest of the built
Thanks for the advice guys
:thumbsup:

#9 ·
Funny thing is that i purchased a Mary last year 2008 and the courier lost it ...

last 20" in NZ :-( i almost cried.

...but i still think it's a cool bike. Looking at one tomorrow and it's my size too. Hope it's the Carolina blue one :)

:thumbsup:

#11 ·
supersize said:
+1 for the KM I have one and ride it SS. It you have more money to spend I would check out the Ventana El comandante (they have a 24"). They have adj slides now that look very nice too.
Where do you see that. The one I see on Ventana's site is an EBB. Part of the reason I didn't bother saving for one as part of my current build.

#12 ·
I am 210# and roll on an SE Stout. Bought a 2008 on closeout from my LBS for $400. Love the bike! The bottom bracket is crap, but the rest of it is solid. The new ones are steel vs the aluminum that I have, but even the aluminum is very compliant. Good reviews from 29 inches.

Good Luck !

#14 ·
I guess i won't find out until i get to swing a leg over her ... oops that sounds just a touch rude
Take her for a ride ... even worse
Being a big guy can be a real pain sometimes

#16 ·
larryo108 said:
Yeah I searched and found that. Wish I had known about that before I bought the Vassago. I know the Ventana is built for a belt drive, that doesn't mean you can't use a traditional chain and cog setup. Right? Just curious.
Yeah you can run a chain no problem.

Old Fool, I hear ya. I am your height looking for a new frame and it is a pain.

#18 ·
I am 6'4 255lbs and ride a Ventana El Comandante. I love the bike and appreciate the fact that it is aluminum - I am already carrying enough weight if you know what I mean. I do sometimes miss the forgiveness of steel but the big tires help smooth it out most of the time. Likewise I really like the geometry compared to other bikes I have owned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.