mtbr member
    Feb 2006

29er rim options help please

i currently ride a salsa fargo drop bar mtb its set up with narrow rims and 700x35c tyres for road riding,im looking at getting a second pair of wheels for off road riding i have been looking at the salsa gordo 35mm wide and the salsa semi 30mm wide rims but cant make up my mind what to get,i want to run tubes and im 250lbs.

ill be running 2.35 tyres as this is the biggest tyre the frame will take in the back but i could get a 2.5 in the front,does a wider rim make a stronger wheel, the rims must be 36 hole as i have the hubs al ready. matt

Former Bike Wrench
    A wider rim can alter the footprint of the tire. Here is some examples from Shiggy's website. As you can see there is a point where going with a wider rim actually reduces the width and volume of the tire.
    Effect of Rim Width on Tire Width

Given all things are the same (material, wall thickness, spokes etc.) the wider rim wheel will be stronger. But of course they weigh more as well so its a trade-off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks for the link

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have salsa gordo rims and I am around 285 with gear. These things hold up great and I like the footprint the tires leave with them. Make sure you put them with good hubs or you will be replacing hubs more than the rim.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    if you want to go for the super wide rims then you might also look at a velocity p35...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    bump

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    im 300 lbs and love to jump which might be something to look into aswell, how do you treat your bike? i bought a gt karakoram and thought i was getting a bulletproof bike but the rear wheels lasted about two weeks with my abuse. i just bought mavic c29ssmax wheels and it is such a relief to be able to go hard without worrying about bending a rim or having to get your wheels trued after every ride