mtbr member
    May 2011

29er Kona sizes?

Does anyone out there have a 22" kona 29er? I am thinking of buying one. I am 6'6" with 36" inseam. it is a kona king kahuna not sure if its big enough? Help!:
    Last edited by dioprovede; 12-31-2011 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Only way you will know for sure is to ride one with a knowledgable person looking on, I rode a 20" Unit and it felt great but the shop guy says no too small and so I tried the 22" which looked more comfortable and felt better too.
    I'm only 6' 3" with 34 inseam so it would seem that 22" could be a little small for you, I think there are bike companies that make 23" frames and there is always the custom build option. Bike fit is very important so don't rush the whole process.
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit. Pliny the Younger (62 AD - 114 AD)

Brian

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i checked the Specalized site and they have bike listed at 23" and also xl and xxl what ever that means
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit. Pliny the Younger (62 AD - 114 AD)

Brian

mtbr member
    unfortunetly those of us who only have a budget for used bikes can't be so picky on frame size. lol

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by the old fool View Post
    i checked the Specalized site and they have bike listed at 23" and also xl and xxl what ever that means
    Usually, Specialized XL is around 21"- 22" and XXL is about 23".

To the OP, I'm 6' 7" with a 37" inseam and have pretty much made off-the-shelf 21"-23" bikes work 'cuz I'm too cheap to go custom. Obviously, seat tube isn't all there is to consider for fit so trying different bikes with different geos is the way to find out if something will work for you.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    6'9", 40.5" inseam (floor to crotch in biking shoes) and riding a 22" Unit 29er SS frame. I believe the frame is a 2011, but not sure. With a layback Thomson post and a modest 100mm stem, & 750mm bars I feel quite comfy. This is a more than adequate bike to hold me over until my custom bike is ready late this summer. I think you should feel fine at your height.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    the best fit system i've seen online is at wrench science... goto https://www.wrenchscience.com and click on "fit system"

it's pretty spot on to what I found I like in my bikes based on trial and error (error being buying a frame to big and having to try and make it work for me... funny considering i'm 6'4ish)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I'm 6'-4" with a 34" inseem and ride a 22" Kona Unit, straight seat post, 100mm stem and stock 760mm bars and it fits me fine! I was considering a 20" frame, but after trying both I'm really glad I got the bigger one. It felt HUGE to start with but I'm super comfortable on it now (been riding it 1 time per week since late October). Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've done a bit of research in the past on OTP 29er hardtails with the longest reach / tallest stack and Konas along with Gary Fisher come out on top. Swapping out the stem / riser should give a good enough fit for someone of your size, unless you like a significant above saddle bar height.

*EDIT* I've just had a look at the King Kahuna - TBH for that sort of money I would consider going for a custom built frame with a lower build spec!
    Last edited by lowestbarone; 01-06-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Back of the pack doping.
    6'3" 34" inseam.

The XL Kona Big Unit feels a smidge too big with a 100mm stem. After moving to a 60mm stem, Works perfectly.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...