dust2dust
    Jan 2004

29er for commuting?

I'm 6'5" and around 250 lbs. As our weather warms up it's time to reconsider commuting to/from work on a bike. I've done this sparingly in the past - mostly due to old/bad equipment. I'm trying to decide whether to build up an old 26er Schwinn that I have, or look at buying a 29er. This will not be intense riding (mostly streets & smooth trails). I was looking at the Jamis Durango 29. I already have a 2004 Jamis XLT 2.0 and it has been a great bike.

Thoughts? Build up the old Schwinn, or look at a new/used 29er? Thanks!
    "I get knocked down, but I get up again."

Master Gardener
    I love old bikes so I'd probably build up the Schwinn and get some more miles out of her, but I commute now on a Karate Monkey and love it.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    you've got the schwinn so i'd prob go with that... add some slicks or something along those lines...

that being said... I look forward to the day i can start commuting (need to find a job that i can do it with 1st)...

that being said... a 29er makes a sweet city bike... i'm rolling kenda kross 700x40 tires ($10 for the set) with a weird bar (have titec H on there right now... origin 8 spacebar is pictured) and it makes for a quick bike on the road that i can roll though the dirt/grass with out worrying about flatting out... toss a rack on there and she's ready for serious commuter duty.

- Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

BIG and Bald
    I just got rid of my commuter, ('08 Tricross). I just never got used to the road bike type riding even after putting mtb bars on it so I gave it to my newphew who is looking into starting triathalons. Anyways...

I've got my eye on a Redline D440. I have yet to even test ride a 29er but I believe this would be the best of both worlds...MTB geometry with road sized wheels.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]