Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: 29 FS advice

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    36

    29 FS advice

    Hi,
    After 4 years on Santa Cruz Nomad and 2 years on Turner RFX, I bought a 29`er (Cannondale Flash 1 29) for XC training. I was surprised by how good a XC bike with big wheels handled rough terrain, so I sold the RFX and bought a Cannondale Trigger 1 29 for trail riding. The bike was super on rough terrain, roots and stones, but I experienced a LOT of pedal strikes with the bike. I consider myself a good technical rider, and the settings on the DYAD shock was set according to the manual. After 3 rides, trying to set the shock right with no improvement on pedal strikes, I sold the bike. I suspect that the DYAD might not be ideal for heavy riders without custom tuning. I have recently bought a nice 2010 Turner 5spot, which is a super bike, but Im still looking for a good 29 FS which will handle heavy guys.

    Im 6`2"/240lbs.
    Im looking at something for all day trail riding, like Turner Sultan, Specialized Camber EVO/Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel EX 29, Ibis Ripley 29 etc. Im told that quite a few 29 FS bikes will give more pedal strikes, and that you have to get used to it. Is that right? The frame/shock must be constructed to handle heavy guys without having to custom tune the shock for $1000. (My 06 Nomad VPP frame did not work well with DHX air, so I had to go for a DHX coil. My 5spot works fine with RP23)

    So, which 29FS do you recommend?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rossluzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    358
    I like Niner because all they build are 29ers and that's their focus, so they know how to get the geometry right in combination with the suspension. Look into a RIP9 with some beefy wheels or even a WFO. 29ers tend to have a lower bottom bracket because they're trying to get the center of gravity down so you don't feel like you're on a horse.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    36
    Oops! Of course I forgot the RIP9. Thanx! I like the looks of the RIP, but does it have some pedal strike issues due to BB height? For instance, the 5spot and the Sultan have the same BB height, which means they should have the same characteristics concerning pedal strikes (with similar pedal arm length and sag setup) I experience no problems at all with pedal strikes on my spot, so maybe a Sultan should work well?

    Any heavy RIP9 or Sultan pilots out there having experiences with pedal strikes?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,931
    I had a Stumpjumper FSR 29er which did fine under my 225# but yea, 29ers tend to have more pedal strikes in their full suspension frames as the height is already low before you compress the suspension.

    Might look at Lenz Sport Mammoth, fairly high 13.75" BB and a nice 2:1 compression ratio on the shock which is good for large riders.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,632
    I ride a trek 29fs. Yes, pedal strikes happen... but after the initial adjustment period they have not been excessive or problematic.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    I ride a trek 29fs. Yes, pedal strikes happen... but after the initial adjustment period they have not been excessive or problematic.
    Ok. But do you experience more pedal strikes on a 29 FS compared to a 26 FS?

    For instance, a 5 spot and a Sultan with the same BB height, same sag and the same length on the crank arms should give the same numbers of pedal strikes?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by trygvecowboy View Post
    Ok. But do you experience more pedal strikes on a 29 FS compared to a 26 FS?

    For instance, a 5 spot and a Sultan with the same BB height, same sag and the same length on the crank arms should give the same numbers of pedal strikes?
    Another factor that increases pedal strikes is wheelbase. 29ers have a longer wheelbase which can cause a "hi-center" problem.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    649
    I've got a Sultan and I'm taller and heavier than you. No more pedal strikes than I had on my 26 and it is a better bike than I ever will be.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    I've got a Sultan and I'm taller and heavier than you. No more pedal strikes than I had on my 26 and it is a better bike than I ever will be.
    I think the Sultan might be the way to go. Are there anyone out there who have testet both the Sultan and the RIP9? I really like the looks of the RIP9, but I think I have read somewhere that the RIP9 has a pretty low BB? I see the Sultan has 13.4inch/340mm, but I can`t find the BB height on the RIP9.

    And which sizing do you recommend? Currently my 2010 5 Spot is a large. It is very nice in the tight stuff, but feels a little cramped when speed builds up. (90mm/0* stem) I think maybe a Sultan XL with a 70mm stem would work well? Anyone at 6`2/187cm ("normally" proportions) who has inputs on large vs XL Sultan?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    75
    Yeti SB95 alloy or carbon, the switch technology really keeps you from pedal bobbing while rolling over stuff yet lets the rear suspension climb over stuff without issue,.......HIGHLY recommended for dealing with your issue at hand. I had a few Yeti 26" bikes and pedal strikes weren't much of an issue but pedal efficiency sucked with standard link suspension. Rode a trail new to me and had a bit of trouble with it on a Carbon 4" XC Yeti (ASRc) yet demo'd a Yeti SB95 alloy two days later and cleared the trail where I bonked on railroad ties and root steps on my own ASRc repeatedly. Ordered up the first SB95c my dealer could get and it's been nothing but awesome since then. 6'1", 225 without any gear.
    13 SB95c/XT/EnveM60ChrisKing/RF NextSL/PikeRCT3SA/CCDBAcs/KS Lev
    13 ARCc/EnveAMChrisKing/XT 1x10 OneUp

  11. #11
    No talent hack
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    947
    1. At your weight, you will be okay with most FS bikes.... maybe not DYAD but most others.

    2. I get a lot more strikes with my FS bike than I did with my hard tail.... BUT I am also a lot more aggressive riding my FS than I ever was on a hard tail. I usually get strikes when I time a pedal stroke wrong in the middle of putting the bike over roots or such. I run the Time ATAC downhill pedals because I would have crushed the plastic bodies long ago while the aluminum strike plates on these take the beating and keep right no going. FWIW, I have never been dismounted because of a pedal strike.

    I ride a 2013 Spec Camber Comp and absolutely love it. I might have pushed a bit more for a Pivot 429 or Niner RIP9, but I am 100% happy with my Camber.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dnlwthrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,248
    At 6'1", 230lbs, I'm loving my Tallboy. Haven't felt any more pedal strikes than I did with previous 26" FS (Blur) or hardtails. No real issues getting Float CTD set for my weight, either.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    652
    I just bought a new 29" FS Epic Marathon having come off a Stumpjumper 26. I have not had any pedal strikes so far and I'm a big guy at 6"2 and 215. I will say the Epic only has 100mm of travel ,and is VERY stiff as most race bikes tend to be. So far so good in the rough stuff after several rides.

  14. #14
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,820
    You want a proper Trail/AM bike, with a decent height BB, great & adjustable angles and definitely built to support a Clyde, then look at the Banshee PRIME.

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread
    PRIME'd

    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    At 6'1", 230lbs, I'm loving my Tallboy. Haven't felt any more pedal strikes than I did with previous 26" FS (Blur) or hardtails. No real issues getting Float CTD set for my weight, either.
    I like the Tallboy, but I havent tried it yet. I really liked the balance and feel of my old Nomad. Is the Tallboy similar in handling?

    But for a little rougher abuse, I think the Sultan or RIP9 might be better. Anyone having a good comparison of the Sultan 14 vs the RIP9 14?

    And by the way...do anyone know why Turner are selling out their Sultan frames at sale? Is there a new model coming?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dnlwthrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,248
    I came from a Blur to the Tallboy. The Nomad felt heavier and a bit slower to me, but my experience was on a rental in Moab. I think the Tallboy is probably suited more to your typical XC/trail riding. I did have a blast on some DH last summer on it (easy stuff), and I find I bomb the descents with very little fear now. So its hard to say. I was considering the RIP as well as the Tallboy, but never got a chance to demo one.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    I came from a Blur to the Tallboy. The Nomad felt heavier and a bit slower to me, but my experience was on a rental in Moab. I think the Tallboy is probably suited more to your typical XC/trail riding. I did have a blast on some DH last summer on it (easy stuff), and I find I bomb the descents with very little fear now. So its hard to say. I was considering the RIP as well as the Tallboy, but never got a chance to demo one.
    Do you experience more pedalstrikes on the Tallboy vs the Blur? What is your weight, and how do you find the rear shock? On my 06 Nomad I had to chance the DHX Air to DHX spring, as the air DHX bottomed out, even at max psi...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    36
    Ended up with a nice RAW large 2012 RIP9 at a good price On its way in the mail. Hopefully a good choice. Review to come....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by trygvecowboy View Post
    Hi,
    After 4 years on Santa Cruz Nomad and 2 years on Turner RFX, I bought a 29`er (Cannondale Flash 1 29) for XC training. I was surprised by how good a XC bike with big wheels handled rough terrain, so I sold the RFX and bought a Cannondale Trigger 1 29 for trail riding. The bike was super on rough terrain, roots and stones, but I experienced a LOT of pedal strikes with the bike. I consider myself a good technical rider, and the settings on the DYAD shock was set according to the manual. After 3 rides, trying to set the shock right with no improvement on pedal strikes, I sold the bike. I suspect that the DYAD might not be ideal for heavy riders without custom tuning. I have recently bought a nice 2010 Turner 5spot, which is a super bike, but Im still looking for a good 29 FS which will handle heavy guys.

    Im 6`2"/240lbs.

    Im looking at something for all day trail riding, like Turner Sultan, Specialized Camber EVO/Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel EX 29, Ibis Ripley 29 etc. Im told that quite a few 29 FS bikes will give more pedal strikes, and that you have to get used to it. Is that right? The frame/shock must be constructed to handle heavy guys without having to custom tune the shock for $1000.
    Curious why you think a custom tuned shock is a $1000? I got a brand new Pushed tuned Fox RP23 Kashima for $500 from Suspension Experts. I could have opted for a retune of the stock Monarch for $180.00 but they advised against it because of some recent issue's with Rockshox quality control. It was the best money Ive ever spent on a bike product btw.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by t51rmkiv View Post
    Curious why you think a custom tuned shock is a $1000? I got a brand new Pushed tuned Fox RP23 Kashima for $500 from Suspension Experts. I could have opted for a retune of the stock Monarch for $180.00 but they advised against it because of some recent issue's with Rockshox quality control. It was the best money Ive ever spent on a bike product btw.
    The $1000 tuning was ironic...
    The 2012 Niner RIP9 with a Fox RP23 is an excellent bike so far. Compared to the 26FS it takes a little more musclepower on the technical stuff at slow speed, so my biggest experience so far is to keep the speed up. With speed it just soaks up roots and rocks in a phenomenal way. With Maxxis Ardent 2.4 I feel Im riding a tank!
    Ride - in - peace! Niner rocks!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    277
    I've got a 23" Trek Superfly 100, I go 6' 6" and about 230. Highly recommend it

    -E

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    159
    dude i weigh 300# been hitting it hard on a xxl tallboy ltc. don't think u would regret it. i moved up from an 05 heckler

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD4 View Post
    I've got a 23" Trek Superfly 100, I go 6' 6" and about 230. Highly recommend it

    -E
    Same bike, same size. 6'4" and roughly 205lbs.

Similar Threads

  1. Internal gear routing in advice frame- advice needed
    By woody74 in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 07:34 PM
  2. A little advice please, 1x9
    By D Boogie C in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 05:12 PM
  3. Bad advice from Nova, seeking more bad advice
    By unterhausen in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 09:39 AM
  4. Need advice
    By proline69 in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 09:20 AM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •