mtbr member

280lbs + 7 YO XC bike + agressive riding =...

Broken seat stay.

Oh well I knew it was only a matter of time. Guess it's back to the HT for a while until I can afford a new FS frame.

Pics (click for bigger version):

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Bummer dewd!

Given what you describe, it is to be expected.

Have you considered contacting the manufacturer and asking for a replacement rear triangle. That could be an inexpesive way to regain a FS mount.

What brand is that anyway. The horst link is making me think Specialized.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith
    What brand is that anyway. The horst link is making me think Specialized.
    02 Specialized Rockhopper FSR

I'm gonna talk to the LBS where the bike was purchased and see what they can do, as far as getting a replacement, but I'm not expecting any miracles.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    may offer a crash replacment cost type deal... could in turn decide to ride it... or sell it towards a beefier rig...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Making fat cool since '71
    If you are the original owner with receipt...they are supposed to work with you. SpecializED has a decent rep for such cases, but the LBS is the filter of course. Good luck!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not sure about MTB, but Specialized road frames have a lifetime warranty I believe. My friend got into an accident with a car and cracked his seat tube. Specialized took it and gave him a one year newer, and one model up frame, for free!

OSCMTB
    Specialized mountain bikes also have the lifetime warranty. Talk to the shop - since it is a FS rockhopper and they no longer make those, you may find yourself with an FSR XC or even a Stumpjumper FSR as a replacement frame.

mtbr member
    The rear triangle pieces are considered suspension parts by Specialized, and as such aren't covered by the lifetime warranty. My LBS says that I can still by the parts, but it'll cost $250, which is more than I'm willing to put into that bike. I'm back to my HT for now until I can save the money to buy a new FS frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would go direct to Specialized. A nice letter describing how you like the bike and things you have done on it and how you would like another one of their bikes might get them to give you the part.