Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

26'er Or 29'er Help

873 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Speedub.Nate 
#1 ·
I Have Decided To Either Purchase A On-one Inbred 26" Complete Bike Or A Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29'er. I Have Ridden A Friends On-one And Loved It. I Liked The Steel, And The Bike Looks Great. My Only Concern Is That It Comes With The On-one Carbon Fork. I Am A Big Guy And This Kind Of Worries Me. They Say It Has No Weight Limit, But Come On. The Inbred Also Comes As A Single Speed, But I Can Change That If I Doesn't Work Out.

The 29'ers Interest Me Also. I Have Ridden The Spec Rockhopper Comp. And It Seems Like A Nice Ride. It Comes With The Tora Fork And Bb5's. I'm Not Into Anything Really Rough Off Road. Generally Just Light Trails And Bike Path Stuff With The Kid Trailer.

My Question Is Which One. Steel/rigid 26'er Or Aluminum 29'er W/ Front Susp.? Give Me All Of Your Thoughts Please. I'm 285 Lbs If That Helps Your Decisions.

Bighat

#3 ·
If a component -- any component -- makes you nervous, it means either your common sense is in tune and/or you will mentally restrain your riding.

So if a carbon fork makes you nervous, by all means get something that is clyde tested and approved.

You didn't say how tall you are, and I wouldn't recommend big wheels based only on your weight, but you seem to have a grasp of what's out there so I'm guessing you're knowledgeable of both sides of the 29" argument. That said, I'm a fan of the large hoops, and think they've got benefits even for shorter riders. My 5'6" wife has been riding hers for a little while now, and she's a happy camper, though not a committed "convert" like some of us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.